By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: We're Not Interested In High End Specs (Hardware)

AbbathTheGrim said:
bowserthedog said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

That wasn't necessary with the Wii. Nintendo accomplished that with the Wii. Nintendo tried to appeal to the tablet market with the WiiU but didn't work out.

But that was before smartphones and tablets took over. The opportunity for a casual dedicated gaming machine is now gone.  I hope i'm wrong because i'm a big nintendo fan but I just believe that it is gone. Nintendo's best bet is in creating something is a must own extra system for core gamers.

Oh, I completely get you. I can't rule out completely the possibility that someone can make something in a gaming platform that can attract people who would otherwise not care for videogames though. Nintendo proved that it can be done, whether it can be repeated or not is yet to be seen.

Definitely, appealing to casuals kind of takes away attention from the core fans, that is understandable.

The problem is that apparently Nintendo has hardcore fans as dedicated to gaming as any Micro and Sony hardcore fans, but they appear to be less in numbers and it would seem that, for Nintendo to ever achieve Wii numbers again, they would need to appeal to that fleeting market that, as you point out, may or may never return and could be lost forever, maybe. Of course, unless Nintendo manages to switch the tables drastically somehow and they find a way to seduce people who opt for Xbox and PlayStation over them.

I don't think it's possible for Nintendo to steal people away from Sony or Microsoft as their main console but many of these gamers by both systems. They need to become the 1st choice as a 2nd console to have any chance here.  But to do this they need to provide an exciting experience which is exclusive to to thier platform.  If NX is anything more than a hybrid console I'd love to know what they are planning. Right now I don't see anything innovative from a controller standpoint but i guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out.  Even though Oculus Rift and Morpheus are due out soon the only thing that could really surprise gamers is if it was an entire console based around some sort of new visual experience.  Morpheas and Oculus rift are 10 years from becoming mainstream. Maybe Nintendo has something less ambitious but affordable which can go mainstream next year.

Around the Network

But this time, PS4 and X1 are already low-end PC hardware.

RolStoppable said:
Jranation said:
Nintendo is really digging their own grave right now. Cant they see the success of PS4 and XONE!!!! They need to CHANGE!!!!

Did you know that Nintendo is projecting a profit of $300m for the current fiscal year? Meanwhile, Sony is projecting $400m for their gaming division. Microsoft doesn't make projections, but since they continue to tread water and have to undercut the PS4 in order to keep up, they are likely to come in behind Nintendo. Well, it would be crazy if they could match Sony, considering by how much the Xbox One loses in sales to the PS4.

So no need to panic.

Oh! Thats really good! Then i dont know why so much people want Nintendo to go third party, or in the smart phone market when they are making tonnes of money. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

RolStoppable said:

Now in 2015 I am the guy who can be perceived as overly positive regarding Nintendo, but there are obviously not many people who agree with me. I suppose that's the price for looking into the future instead of being stuck in the here and now.

Hey, I agree with you. (Though I went into total regression after the E3 for a bit, admittedly. Then I looked at the bigger picture.)

(And as a large share holder, its in my better interest for you to be right. :P Give me a few decades and I'll worm my way onto the board!)

Nintendo doesn't need high-end hardware or third-party support to produce a successful console. They just need a more consistent development/release cycle that includes new IPs and revivals... not just the same 2d mario, mario kart, super smash every generation.

Around the Network

Nobody cares about High-End tech anymore and that's why PS4 and X1 also aren't mindblowingly powerful. We have reached graphics that are just good enough. They are not limitating games anymore in any possible way. A developer today can do anything he can think of in a game. So the problem isn't hardware anymore, it's just imagination. You need the right ideas. Designers will do the good looking, but even for that, you don't need a supercomputer anymore.

The only people who really care about physically correct hairs on the balls of their character or some stupid reflection at a place nobody is ever looking at, are those Master Race PC people, as they like to call themselves. If you have fun with that, fine by me. But I really don't care anymore.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

MohammadBadir said:

People understand the whole Fusion idea wrong, lmao. I don't get why anyone would want something like that. What Iwata clearly pointed out to was a console and a handheld that shared similar development environments, nothing more, nothing less. That'd make things easier for Nintendo and Indie developers because they wouldn't have to focus on 2 completely different architectures but rather 1 unified one. The Console would still be much more powerful and each would have unique games.

If what they are doing is creating a same architecture between handheld and console for every developer to find it even easier to develop for both of them then it makes a lot of sense, if that is what this thing is really about, no way to know for sure until it is finally unvield.

bowserthedog said:

I don't think it's possible for Nintendo to steal people away from Sony or Microsoft as their main console but many of these gamers by both systems. They need to become the 1st choice as a 2nd console to have any chance here.  But to do this they need to provide an exciting experience which is exclusive to to thier platform.  If NX is anything more than a hybrid console I'd love to know what they are planning. Right now I don't see anything innovative from a controller standpoint but i guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out.  Even though Oculus Rift and Morpheus are due out soon the only thing that could really surprise gamers is if it was an entire console based around some sort of new visual experience.  Morpheas and Oculus rift are 10 years from becoming mainstream. Maybe Nintendo has something less ambitious but affordable which can go mainstream next year.

I don't see much future to those VR devices, but maybe I'm wrong and everyone loves it, who knows? I made a thread some weeks ago about Nintendo joining the VR movement and Nintendo fans in here didn't like the idea so I don't know how well this approach would be taken by Nintendo fans.

padib said:

People complained that the Vita was not getting proper 1st party support. I don't blame them.

With the fusion, Nintendo is just preparing a way to create one massive library, and so consolidate their development effort into one single library.

Also, only a few games had cross-play between Vita and PS3, where you bought it on one and could play it on both. But even then it wasn't as simple as with the NX where it will be account-based.

If by "one massive library" you mean both handheld and console sharing the same games then we will have to see how well that would go for them if that is what they have in mind. Maybe it will just mean that whoever prefers handhelds will go for that platform and whoever likes  to play at home will go for console. I don't see this approach doing much to make a difference for Nintendo's platforms sales. I think Nintendo should keep making exclusive games to their handhelds and consoles, that way Nintendo fans will have to buy both to enjoy the games they love.

I think what can make the difference next time for Nintendo is to make software and/or input device that can attract more people, like the WiiMote did.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

If a new HH is coming out, is it worth me picking up a N3DS this weekend?

cannonballZ said:

I had a feeling this would be the case. Why would they release a console weaker than ps4 or xbox one in the middle of this gen?

Edit: "We're not interested in high end specs" ... Well, I guess more people will not be interested in Nintendo.

Actually thats not correct.  People will be interested in the NX if it offer something different and better than the PS4 or X1.  I rather Big N take risk and do their own thing then go into the hardware war and just be another one of the crowd.  a decent price with innovative tech that will get my money since I love Nintendo games.

The NX had better be as cheap and compelling as the original Wii or else I wont touch it. I'll also wait for a year (or two) to see how they handle droughts.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine