By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Metroid Thread - Samus is back!

Tagged games:

Would you mind if Prime 4 has more casual friendly elements?

Yes, it'd help open up th... 1 1.64%

No, it'd hurt the core gameplay. 3 4.92%

Undecided/See results 0 0%

Total:4

Kind of depressing that apparently there wasn’t anything Metroid to talk about since 2017 until someone three years later asks which 1980s game is better than the other.

At the question though, probably 2, haven’t played it (only Samus Returns on 3DS) but I doubt it’s even more cryptic than the first.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Kind of depressing that apparently there wasn’t anything Metroid to talk about since 2017 until someone three years later asks which 1980s game is better than the other.

At the question though, probably 2, haven’t played it (only Samus Returns on 3DS) but I doubt it’s even more cryptic than the first.

Well, this thread died out (my fault for not maintaining it lol), but if people want to bring it back, I'd be happy to! ^^

Proxy-Pie said:
S.Peelman said:

Well, this thread died out (my fault for not maintaining it lol), but if people want to bring it back, I'd be happy to! ^^

Probably a good time to bring it back since it seems likely we will get one of the following this year:

Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster/remake (Very likely)

Metroid 5 (possible)

Metroid Prime 4 (unlikely)

Dulfite said:
Proxy-Pie said:

Probably a good time to bring it back since it seems likely we will get one of the following this year:

Metroid 5 (possible)

Metroid Prime 4 is announced. Metroid 5 is not. Explain your logic.

Xxain said:
Dulfite said:

Metroid 5 (possible)

I assume he's referencing the Paper Mario rumor that also mentioned a new 2D Metroid.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
Dulfite said:

Metroid 5 (possible)

MP 4 is a huge budget game and restarted development under a new studio.

Metroid 5 is a 2-d side scroller that could be made by a 10 man crew in some dude's mom's basement.

mZuzek said:
Dulfite said:

Metroid 5 (possible)

"Likely" just some near-insane optimism on your part, I think.

That said, it's always a good time to talk about Metroid, so let's do keep this around, shall we?

Really? You think it's "near-insane optimism" to think we will get just one of those like I said? Certainly all three seems insane, but just one?

Seems a better dramatic to call it that.

Proxy-Pie said:
GoOnKid said:

So what's better, Metroid 1 on the NES or Metroid 2 on the Gameboy?

Just do yourself a favor and play the remakes :P

The remakes are far better, that's true lol.

However, I feel like both of these old, archaic, cryptic and slow games have a lot of mojo in them, and while both have strengths and weaknesses, I really do like both. They have a place in my heart and I will keep playing them every now and then. The first one is still cool to this day, even though half of Norfair and Brinstar look the same, but the kick-ass music alone makes me want to hop in once again. The first few times I played it I got lost so bad, obviously, and this is heavily annoying and frustrating, but once I managed to make my way through Zebes, it was awesome. Especially when you have a couple of energy tanks and missiles it gets a lot easier. The second game is nice as well, I remember playing it during long car rides. Hunting down one metroid after another is amazing and quite scary with this creepy atmosphere and music. I got lost here, too. Of course. But after several attempts I reached the metroid queen and the battle was immensely intense. Plus, it introduced the coolest upgrade ever, which of course is the Spider Ball.

Metroid: Zero Mission was a huge step upwards and is indeed superior in every way to the original, there's no doubt about that. Not much else to say other than it's a fantastic game even to this day. Metroid: Samus Returns is a pretty good, too. But what bothered me a bit is that it relied too much on that counter attack move during battles. Almost every single enemy must be defeated in the same pattern: let it approch and attack you, then counter and shoot. This gets old after a while.

Spoiler!
Also, the inclusion of Ridley as the final boss felt out of place to me. He doesn't need to be in every single game. It felt like too much obvious fan service shoved down the throat. I would have preferred if the queen was the final boss and that's it.

Dulfite said:
Proxy-Pie said:

Metroid 5 (possible)

I would welcome all of those. It's about time, we need more Metroid.

Ive really enjoyed all the 3d metroids. Even other m. Ive never really been into 2d metroid tho . Which is nuts considering I love retro metroidvania games like xeodrifter and the blaster master remakes. May try super metroid again after I finish last of us 2.