By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Metroid Thread - Samus is back!

Tagged games:

Would you mind if Prime 4 has more casual friendly elements?

Yes, it'd help open up th... 1 1.64%

No, it'd hurt the core gameplay. 3 4.92%

Undecided/See results 0 0%

Total:4

I'll be picking this up as soon as I am no longer broke and basic...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network

I need to pick up this game before my business trip on Monday!

Signature goes here!

mZuzek said:
Medisti said:

So far for me it's the best 2D Metroid in terms of controls, but it'll be hard to top Super and Zero Mission overall. We'll see as I get deeper into SR388. :D

Eh, I have a hard time enjoying the controls with the awkwardness of the 3DS and the mapping of jump to B and shoot to Y. In terms of Samus's movement, for the most part it's really great yeah, but I'm also not a big fan of the easy mode bomb jumping and downright offensive walljump (never thought they'd bring back the awful Fusion walljump, they not only did that but also messed with the inputs for some reason).

I think Super is untouchable as the best 2D Metroid, and best Metroid overall. I understand some people prefer the more polished controls of the later games with stuff like the ledge grab and being able to spin out of a normal jump, but those are things I just don't miss when playing Super. That game has the best soundtrack and atmosphere, art design and level design in my opinion, besides being the most iconic and having a great minimalistic story - besides having crazy awesome replayability because of how much it allows you to break it when you know what you're doing, which makes speedrunning actually accessible and fun, something only Zero Mission out of the other 2D Metroids has.

@poll, gave it a 9. Great addition to the Metroid series, but it's not a masterpiece.

The wall jumping is atrocious, no question. I've always been bad at wall jumping even in Fusion, but I have no trouble zipping around off of whatever wall I want in this one. And you can't go back to the same wall? I thought they got the message and that's why it went back for Zero Mission. :(

The polished controls are what make it for me. I find Super to be very clunky, too floaty, and just hard to play. But who can deny that amazing atmosphere? But, I've never been big into sequence breaking, and I didn't play Super until the Virtual Console (well after Fusion and Zero Mission), which is probably part of the reason why I don't hold Super on a pedestal.

^ I'd assume that a Metroid game built from scratch (even though this is like 5% scratch lol) will have wall jumping, since it'd be easier to design a new map around it rather than the general structure of Metroid 2.

In short: Metroid 5 plz.

When you buy a new Metroid game

Around the Network

Finished SR.
16hrs
90%

Best Metroid game since Super Metroid.
No words, only tears.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

So, I just finished Samus Returns. It took 9 hours to beat and 11 hours to get 100%.

SR was the first Metroid game that I've ever played for more than 30 minutes, and I have to say... it was awesome! When I started playing, I didn't expect it to be so fun. It might just be my favorite 3DS game. Now I think I finally understand why people like the Metroid series so much.

Though, one thing I am curious about is how the original Metroid 2 even worked on Game Boy. SR seems to require so many button inputs, and the map is filled with puzzles that require free-aiming and other shenanigans that seem impossible to do with just a D-pad and two buttons.

mZuzek said:
Medisti said:

The wall jumping is atrocious, no question. I've always been bad at wall jumping even in Fusion, but I have no trouble zipping around off of whatever wall I want in this one. And you can't go back to the same wall? I thought they got the message and that's why it went back for Zero Mission. :(

The polished controls are what make it for me. I find Super to be very clunky, too floaty, and just hard to play. But who can deny that amazing atmosphere? But, I've never been big into sequence breaking, and I didn't play Super until the Virtual Console (well after Fusion and Zero Mission), which is probably part of the reason why I don't hold Super on a pedestal.

It's weird. They introduced walljumping in Super and it was super gamebreaking, so you assume that's why they nerfed it to the horrible, useless walljump of Fusion. But then in Zero Mission, walljumping became really good again, which you would think meant they wanted it that way in the long run, but now it sucks again. I guess we can expect it to only be good in uneven number games? (oh, Metroid 5...)

I never played a Metroid game before 2014 or so, so there's no feeling of nostalgia to me, though Super was still my first one. I like to replay games over and over (well not just games, I've seen a certain movie 15 times), so to me when a game allows me to do crazy shit like Super does it'll always be relevant because it means I'll have more fun replaying it. Super Metroid actively rewards you for knowing what you're doing in controlling Samus and knowing the environment and map layout - it allows you to get away with pretty much anything if you have the skill and know-how, which is extremely impressive considering how well the level design "guides" a player through their first time. I love how the game doesn't really force a story or pre-determined progression on you, the only thing it requires you to do is killing the 4 bosses and that's that, you can go about it in any way you want. It's stuff like that that made this game so fun and so addictive for me, years on and I'm still playing it somewhat regularly - I'm actually a good bit into speedrunning it, having gotten pretty close to the 1 hour mark.

Samus Returns is great, I'll love it, but it'll never have that. It's a mostly very linear game and I won't be able to do crazy skips and sequence break - maybe, the speedrunning community will find glitches to do that, but I don't find it interesting anymore when it becomes too glitch-heavy. So as much as I loved it the first time, I think I won't find myself replaying the game too much in the future.

Also, guys. Do get 100% on the game and then look up the art galleries. There's some pretty damn crazy stuff there once you complete the game, and you know, I believe it might just be hinting at that elusive Metroid 5. (!!)

If you're spinning and press jump against a wall, you wall jump. There's no timing. There's not pulling the circle pad the other way. Just press the jump button at any time. That completely ruins wall jumping for me. Aside from that, I love the controls.

Medisti said:
mZuzek said:

It's weird. They introduced walljumping in Super and it was super gamebreaking, so you assume that's why they nerfed it to the horrible, useless walljump of Fusion. But then in Zero Mission, walljumping became really good again, which you would think meant they wanted it that way in the long run, but now it sucks again. I guess we can expect it to only be good in uneven number games? (oh, Metroid 5...)

I never played a Metroid game before 2014 or so, so there's no feeling of nostalgia to me, though Super was still my first one. I like to replay games over and over (well not just games, I've seen a certain movie 15 times), so to me when a game allows me to do crazy shit like Super does it'll always be relevant because it means I'll have more fun replaying it. Super Metroid actively rewards you for knowing what you're doing in controlling Samus and knowing the environment and map layout - it allows you to get away with pretty much anything if you have the skill and know-how, which is extremely impressive considering how well the level design "guides" a player through their first time. I love how the game doesn't really force a story or pre-determined progression on you, the only thing it requires you to do is killing the 4 bosses and that's that, you can go about it in any way you want. It's stuff like that that made this game so fun and so addictive for me, years on and I'm still playing it somewhat regularly - I'm actually a good bit into speedrunning it, having gotten pretty close to the 1 hour mark.

Samus Returns is great, I'll love it, but it'll never have that. It's a mostly very linear game and I won't be able to do crazy skips and sequence break - maybe, the speedrunning community will find glitches to do that, but I don't find it interesting anymore when it becomes too glitch-heavy. So as much as I loved it the first time, I think I won't find myself replaying the game too much in the future.

Also, guys. Do get 100% on the game and then look up the art galleries. There's some pretty damn crazy stuff there once you complete the game, and you know, I believe it might just be hinting at that elusive Metroid 5. (!!)

If you're spinning and press jump against a wall, you wall jump. There's no timing. There's not pulling the circle pad the other way. Just press the jump button at any time. That completely ruins wall jumping for me. Aside from that, I love the controls.

I do love the controls too but the section where you're running away from a big robot before you get the Space Jump was frustrating as hell!

Signature goes here!

I'm four hours into Samus returns and am liking it very much. On of the best 3D use on the 3DS. I hope this games really sells because i don't want Nintendo to put Metroid in the freezer.

Do we have any sales on Metroid: Samus returns?

If 2D Metroid doesn't sell between 500K and 1M on the userbase of the 3DS, that wil be a problem. Metroid 2D might get hit by a freeze ray at that point.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.