By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: I think it is very fair to say that if a game is indie, it's indicative of its poor quality

im sorry but i have to disagree with you thinking that a game is bad because it is indie. there are good indie games and bad indie games, just like there are good aaa games and bad aaa games.

the indie games i can remember and that i find good.
Guacamelee!
Sanctum 1 and 2
Dust: An Elysian Tail
bastion
shovel knight
valdis story abyssal city
7 days to die
the banner saga
dead effect
hardland
the next penelope
ori and the blind forest
styx master of shadow
ziggeurat
tower of guns
riptide gp2
dead trigger 1 and 2
ire
implosion
lost within
sword of xolan
steam world dig
a story about my uncle
shadow gun
minecraft
ironfall invasion
Eufloria

some im not listing because im not sure if they are considered indie like
shadow warrior
black mesa is kinda in the gray area

Around the Network
patronmacabre said:
My feelings on the matter are similar to Lawlight's, honestly, and this is my reasoning.

I understand that reviewers want to appear anti-establishment when they frequently praise the quality of extremely low budget, 8-bit retro games, but I often feel this is problematic.

The problem with indie games, especially when compared to independent movies and indie music, is that game development requires an extraordinary amount of technical skill. You can't just hope that your wonderful artistic vision will somehow come to life, because you need a great deal of technical skill to actually execute your vision.

And this is where things get... unfair, for lack of a better term. I think the harsh reality of the situation is that the genuinely skilled developers -- the ones behind games like Ori and the Blind Forest, Journey, and No Man's sky --those developers tend to get noticed by larger firms. Unlike music and film, where it's easy to say that your producer or publisher didn't "get" your intentions, it's extremely easy to differentiate a skilled developer that just hasn't been noticed from a wide-eyed developer with big dreams and no way to carry out those dreams.

Ultimately, I really think it's the psudo-anti-establishment sentiment that a lot of journalists try to champion that is trying to tell us that games that aren't worthy of notice are somehow fantastic. And don't get me wrong, I am sure there are a few gems out there that haven't been discovered, but I really think journalists have to start being more picky with what they consider to be quality within the indie scene of gaming.

Agree with you... there are too many people that try so much to fight against the system that they are complete idiots giving stars just to say that bad game somewhat is fantastic just because it was made in a basement... and in that sense he buries very good indies together.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Acevil said:
spemanig said:

Most AAA games are really bad. It's not an indie game thing. Most video games are bad.

Which goes back to how broken the review system is, if majority of those titles are 75+.

Has nothing to do with the review system. Most people just gave poor taste.

Could we compare this to indie films vs blockbuster films? I find a lot if blockbuster films are terrible just like AAA games. Sure there are also a lot of terrible indie films and games but there are also excellent ones. I loved Rogue Legacy, Hotline Miami, Journey, and many other Indies recently. It really is just a matter of taste.

WC4Life said:
HoloDust said:
I think that your generalization of indie games is indicative of...well, something that some trigger happy mod would consider bannable.

I'm just interested in your opinion. If someone made the same kind of generalization of indie games but with positive approach, wouldn't it be the same?

Generalizations are bad per se. For some, positive generalization would be equally bad. For those who think Sturgeon's Revelation is valid ("ninety percent of everything is crap"), positive approach would be even worse.

Around the Network

Limbo. Play Limbo. Also, there are a lot of crap non-Indie games as well. Quality will always differ in anything that has a huge number of entries, and right now, both the Indie and non-Indie gaming scene have a huge number of IPs in the market.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Lawlight said:

I find most of the highly rated ones to be quite bad and uninteresting:

Machinarium

You are dead to me.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

What a ridiculous generalisation. Considering indie games cover such a broad range of genres, art styles and gameplay mechanics you get a wide range of titles from top quality to crap you wouldn't even want to play for free. The same can be said of AAA titles.

The major thing about indies is they're generally smaller projects that give the devs the scope to experiment with different mechanics, art styles or storytelling techniques, stuff the AAA devs don't risk trying. You get to try experiences that are actually fresh and different.

To me, indie games are meaning of experimentation. Sometimes the result is very well made in games like terraria, fez (loved it) or journey. But sometimes an indie game just throws its concept at your face and it feels heavy and not something you should be playing for fun. I found this in games like proteus or lone survivor, I got bored easily. But their concept was really good and if they got a more expensive treatment in terms of graphics and gameplay, they would have been great games (well, except for proteus lol)

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

Opinion: I'd say you are just plain wrong.

Fez, Hotline Miami,Machinarium and the Pixel Junk series are spectacular games. The others aren't my flavor but I know others liked them.

Being "indie" isn't indicative of a game's quality. Any more than being a big budget first party title is.