By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: I think it is very fair to say that if a game is indie, it's indicative of its poor quality

Farsala said:
I think that indie/ digital only games have been bad on Home consoles. Different story for PC.

I vvould much rather buy the 6 month old $10 decent retail game then a 6 month old $10 indie / digital only game.

How are they different on PC vs. console when the acclaimed indie titles are on both platforms?

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Farsala said:
I think that indie/ digital only games have been bad on Home consoles. Different story for PC.

I vvould much rather buy the 6 month old $10 decent retail game then a 6 month old $10 indie / digital only game.

How are they different on PC vs. console when the acclaimed indie titles are on both platforms?

I think games like Path of exile and Divinity: Original Sin (vvhich is novv coming to home consoles) and League of Legends are vastly superior to the games that home consoles get.

even League of Legends vvas originally made by an "indie" and vvas digital only, but obviously is novv considered big and non indie.

Farsala said:
Lawlight said:
Farsala said:

I think games like Path of exile and Divinity: Original Sin (vvhich is novv coming to home consoles) and League of Legends are vastly superior to the games that home consoles get.

even League of Legends vvas originally made by an "indie" and vvas digital only, but obviously is novv considered big and non indie.

And what games are these? The ones that console get you mean.

Just look at the likes and dislikes on the PS Plus posts on the PS Blog - you will see that acclaimed AAA titles get a nice like/dislike percentage but acclaimed indie titles are received poorly.

This just shows that people think of indie as a snack rather than a mean.

And speaking of metacritic, indie games, generally, get high scores but how come none of them win Got awards?

Lawlight said:
Farsala said:
Lawlight said:
Farsala said:

And what games are these? The ones that console get you mean.

Does it matter? PC gets these games and home consoles do not. Therefore I think the PC situation is better then the Home console situation.

I played Journey and I vvould much rather spend my time on Path of exile or League of Legends. Not to mention I have spent a total of $0.00 on these games, vvhereas Journey costed me $20? $10?

Around the Network

Saying you like/dislike indie games doesn't make any sense because the word "indie" only describes the studio working on the game. It's very likely that the game will be low-budget (99.9% certainty) but that's it.
There are a lot of good indie titles out there, it's just that you need to learn how to avoid the countless terrible ones made by talentless hacks, copycats or overambitious teams who thinks they have way more to work with than they really do. And as with everything else there's also personal taste to take into account; it doesn't matter how well done a game is if you don't appreciate the genre or style.

Minecraft is the biggest game on the planet and guess what? Yup, it was an indie game. Indie games are the only place for true innovation these days.

Of the games you listed, I wasnt a fan of any I have played (I've played over half). Games like shovelknight, vvvvvv, ftl, stealth inc 2, i see as first rate. I think rating is affected by price though.

Vvvvvv is one of my favorite platformers of all time but it would be very difficult to defend if it was full price due to its lenght, simplisity and graphical stylings. I rate it higher than, for example, donkey kong tropical freeze but dktf makes a sound case to justify its higher price.

Farsala said:

Does it matter? PC gets these games and home consoles do not. Therefore I think the PC situation is better then the Home console situation.

I played Journey and I vvould much rather spend my time on Path of exile or League of Legends. Not to mention I have spent a total of $0.00 on these games, vvhereas Journey costed me $20? $10?

Yes, it does matter since point out a few exceptions don't mean anything. Also, Journey isn't indie.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Minecraft is the biggest game on the planet and guess what? Yup, it was an indie game. Indie games are the only place for true innovation these days.

GTA is bigger but I think you're confusing mainstream with quality.