By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 5.5 Million PS3s Shipped

So thier projected sales to retailers of 11m this year pretty much right on with my predictions. 11m to retailers by jan1 2008 + the 1.5m sold in 2006 means I am pretty close with a prediction of 11m sold to end users by jan1 2008. I did say previously that my predictions are being generous to each console. I expect to be a little high.

Around the Network

Do you guys reckon Sony have already agreed minimum manufacturing quotas with their suppliers and are unable to make drastic cutbacks until the terms of these contracts are fulfilled?

SpaceJase said:
Do you guys reckon Sony have already agreed minimum manufacturing quotas with their suppliers and are unable to make drastic cutbacks until the terms of these contracts are fulfilled?

1.  "Tokyo - Sony said on Wednesday that it aims to ship 11m PlayStation 3s worldwide this year, ramping up competition against its rivals after missing its recent targets." http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/companies/display_article.aspx?Nav=ns&lvl2=comp&ArticleID=1518-1783_2114249

2. "Perhaps that's why the company chose to stick to a more conservative sales forecast of 11 million units this year."                                         http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/may2007/gb20070516_346923.htm

I think they were just afraid to post lower numbers than they already achieved. That would be interpreted as a sign of defeat if they couldn't improve their numbers. It's the same stubborn pride that led to the $600 price tag.

FishyJoe said:
I think they were just afraid to post lower numbers than they already achieved. That would be interpreted as a sign of defeat if they couldn't improve their numbers. It's the same stubborn pride that led to the $600 price tag.

No, Sony is going to lower the PS3 price by $100.00 during E3 and release SOCOM 4 and Killzone 2 in the Fall.

Around the Network

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/may2007/gb20070516_346923.htm "One hope is that Sony's new games chief, Kaz Hirai, who replaces Ken Kutaragi in June, can juice the lineup of PS3 games fast enough to avoid cutting console prices. That's crucial because software developers pay licensing fees to Sony for the right to create PS3 games, so every disk and download sold adds to Sony's bottom line." That's hilarious. Is this poor guy expected to wave a magic wand and PS3 titles just appear out of thin air? It was a decent article up to that point.

SpaceJase said:
Is this poor guy expected to wave a magic wand and PS3 titles just appear out of thin air? It was a decent article up to that point.

1.  Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Ships 6/26/07

2.  NCAA Football 08  - Ships 7/17/07 

3. Lair - Ships 7/31/07

4. Warhawk - Ships 8/1/2007

5. Madden NFL 08  - Ships 8/14/07

6. Heavenly Sword - Ships 9/4/2007

SOCOM 4 and Killzone 2 release before Christmas

Sir Cedric said:

albionus said:

Something to consider, if I recall (and I'm going by memory so I could easily be mistaken) the Dreamcast and GameCube both had to halt production after they had only sold, to consumers to make it clear to certain folk, 5-6 million with 5-6 million consoles in various warehouses. 6 months in and Sony is half way to that situation.

"January 25, 2001 - Sony Corp announced on Thursday that it expects to ship a total of nine million PlayStation 2s by the end of the current business year that ends on March 31, 2001, which is down from its previous forecast of 10 million units. This shipment reduction, however, will not affect the North American market according to PR representatives at Sony Computer Entertainment America. SCEA still expects to meet its target of three million units shipped in North America by March 31."                                      http://ps2.ign.com/articles/090/090491p1.html

I'm not sure what the point of that is.  If it bore some relationship to what I said I'd like to know.

Sir Cedric said:
SpaceJase said:
Is this poor guy expected to wave a magic wand and PS3 titles just appear out of thin air? It was a decent article up to that point.

3. Lair - Ships 7/31/07

It actually was a silly comment.  A good game takes about two years to make at the least.  Some take damn near five years.  He can't just "juice up" the PS3's lineup.
That's also a poor list.  I think the only thing on that list that will sell well are Madden NFL 08 and Lair, and Lair is about the only game on that list that isn't an Xbox remake that looks good. 

Sir Cedric said:
SpaceJase said:

3. Lair - Ships 7/31/07

To be honest that seems like a sad little list ...

8 Games representing 4 genres of which one is a port of an XBox game (Ninja Gaiden), one is a sequel of a pretty "meh" game (Killzone 2), the fourth installment of a series who's quality and sales keep droping with each installment (SOCOM), 2 football games one of which is available for wrist watches, and a bunch of untested properties.

If you're going to put multi-platform games on the list (Madden) you should put GTA, Devil May Cry, and other quality multiplatform games on the list instead of some of the games you listed.