By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 5.5 Million PS3s Shipped

reverie said:
John, That's what I called hyperbole and vilification. Nintendo is stating "sold to retail" as "sold", Microsoft is stating "sold to retail" as "sold", Sony is stating "sold to retail" as "sold" and "left the factory" as "shipped". Nobody is announcing "sold to consumers" except NPD et al, there is no difference in the definition of "sold" between the big 3 and there is specifically no obfuscation in Sony's reporting as they explain what their different numbers refer to.

If they'd just say sell-in I'd be satisfied. I've learned a lesson here. I thought by law it was required to be direct on financial statements but I know the reality now. Hyperbole has no place when you're playing with my money as an investor. From now on I'll just ignore those BS financial statements and listen to the rickshaw estimation services we have available. A damn shame the real data is not tracked.

Like always the man at the base is disrespected in a capitalistic society. I shouldn't have been surprised.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network
reverie said:
Oh, and here's how fast Nintendo can ramp their production... http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=Wii&reg2=America&cons3=Wii&reg3=All&weekly=1

Here's a comparison of all three including PS3.

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=X360&reg2=All&cons3=PS3&reg3=All&weekly=1

John Lucas

I was trying to show that Nintendo shipments have so far been flat this year. My whole Nintendo jab was aimed at production, not sales. They should have shipped more at least since March. They are losing sales because the shelves are not full. You certainly can't say that about Sony or MS.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

reverie said:
I was trying to show that Nintendo shipments have so far been flat this year. My whole Nintendo jab was aimed at production, not sales. They should have shipped more at least since March. They are losing sales because the shelves are not full. You certainly can't say that about Sony or MS.

I see them increasing gradually from March 31, 2007 end of their fiscal year. But looks like everybody's slow on that chart and I see that big channel stuff by Microsoft at the end of 2006. And as much as Nintendo could produce more they're still outproducing everybody else by a longshot. It's only their money they're missing out on, the competition can't seem to take advantage of their sluggishness in production so it's sort of moot.

Yes you certainly CAN'T say that about Sony or MS 'cause their stuff ain't moving. They couldn't "SELL" (sell-in) anymore if they wanted to due to backlog of stock on the shelves. And as long as the furor continues Nintendo can get away with this.

In fact I'd say the other companies are lucky Nintendo's slacking on the production. They'd be taking away more of the marketshare from the other guys making things that much worse. They have an opportunity here to make something happen while Nintendo struggles to get the stuff out. Let's see if they turn that opportunity into fruition.

John Lucas

Well, they went down in March and are now back at Jan/Feb levels. That hole in March could be systems diverted to Europe (as ioi's new graph doesn't include Europe yet), or the higher Jan/Feb level could have been some overflow from the 800k extra systems that Reggie had ordered for Christmas but mysteriously never arrived in America. I still wonder what actually happened back then, but we'll never know.

I don't think Sony and MS have anything at hand to attract people looking for a Wii, do they? Nintendo will just lose some 10k sales every week from people who really want it but are finally tired of waiting or people who don't even knew they might ever want one but might have bought one by chance if it had been in stock.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

Yeah, Nintendo has been doing a horrible job getting Wii's into the hands of consumers. It's not like it's sold the most consoles ever for a launch period or anything. Oh wait...

FishyJoe said:

Yeah, Nintendo has been doing a horrible job getting Wii's into the hands of consumers. It's not like it's sold the most consoles ever for a launch period or anything. Oh wait...

I know right. I was just going along with his frame of argument. He's talking about a slump yet they're still outproducing everyone else. It's a moot point.

Regardless of how Nintendo goes along with that misappropiation of the word "Sold" that I dislike they've got a good product and the people want it. I've just learned not to think that financial statements were concrete in terms. One more illusion down the tubes. I thought it was law to be exacting on those things but go figure.

John Lucas 

Wow, I didn't know Wii was doing this good! By the way, number of units shipped has nothing to do with number of units sold. Sony could be left with a lot of over stock.

FishyJoe,

Thanks for that graph (which is not similar to vgchartz' numbers and doesn't include the 90s), but we are trying to look at Sony's latest financial report here and therefore I was talking about units shipped in the first calendar quarter. Sony shipped 3.7 million PS3s last quarter, Nintendo just 2.7 million Wiis. And that for a system with only one tricky new part, the remote, which has always been in stock (judging by Wii Play sales) and therefore can't be the bottleneck.

warehouses cost for electronic should make quit a dent. I don't mind if they just ship several dozens to my house, i'll make make a bed out of them until they want them back. Free storage! That just gave me an idea. Anyone here running a game shop? You should really make a bed out of it and show some pics. Sleeping on all those "money"...