By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX will be a flop if release in 2016

Do you agree?

Yes 170 66.93%

No 84 33.07%

Total:254

Regarding 3rd party support, I hope the NX will have at least as much 3rd party support as the GameCube! That system actually had some awesome 3rd party games, including the best version of Soulcalibur 2!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
gabzjmm23 said:
potato_hamster said:

Do you guys know anything about console video game development? Do you guys know anything about the costs associated with developing for more than one platform or spec? Do you guys have any idea have such a move would lead to the complete and utter abandonment of third parties? Anyone?

You guys need to let this idea go, and let it go quickly. Before you go saying something along the lines of games "scaling up and down". It simply does not work that way, and even if it did, it would require tremendously good developer tools, and Nintendo's developer tools are the absolute worst, and I really do mean the worst by a country mile. It's almost twice as hard to make a game run well on the Wii U than it is to make it run well on the PS4.  Now you need to make a game run well on three or four specs? Forget it. Absolutely forget it. Third parties wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

because you are talking about Wii U developer kit which is under IBM PowerPC against X1 and PS4 x86 architecture which is really different.  The topic is NX, if NX adopts the x86 archictecture, scaling down and up the graphics for power consumption and other things, it is possible. hence 3rd party would really come to NX.  If Nintendo decides to go to the x86 route.

Yes, I know the Wii U is Power PC based. I've made games for it. Guess what other two consoles are Power PC based? The PS3 and Xbox 360. The Wii was also PowerPC based for that matter. How did porting go from the Xbox 360 to Wii? Ohh I know, because I did it. Many times. It's absolutely terrible.  As it turns out, you couldn't just "scale the game down". You're acting as if the CPU's architecture is the primary problem. I can promise you it isn't. You don't simply make a PS4 game and "scale it down" slightly to for the Xbox one, even though the X1 is slightly underpowered compared to the PS4. In fact, each console's architecture is different by just enough that it's actually a bigger pain in the ass to get games running well on both consoles than one might think. Go ahead and read up on any of the big multi-platform third parties talk about developing for both the X1 and PS4. Let me know when you find one that describes it as developing for one and just "scaling it up or down" depending on the console. I won't hold my breath.

Even if Nintendo were to adopt an x86 architecture going forward for their Nintendo NX 3+ consoles, it would still be a royal pain to port to the NX. Would it be a bigger pain in the ass if they kept the Power PC arctiecture? Sure. But's not nearly that simple. Let's assume NX is 4 different consoles. You get the game running well on the NX Hardcore because it's pretty much just like the PS4. You still have to optimize the game for another 3 consoles. You still need to re-do the 3D models and textures for another 3 consoles. You still need to resample the audio at different bit rates for another 3 consoles You still need to test another 3 consoles. You still need to certify another 3 consoles. You still need to deal with the little quirks and nuances that each and every console in the history of consoles has, but for another 3 models.  You still need 4 times the developers kits for dozens, if not hundreds of game developers per studio, which is an additional investment of hundreds of thousands of dollars. What part of this is sounding easier to you?

if home console, 100%.

I handheld, 60% yes it would be flop.

gabzjmm23 said:
potato_hamster said:

Third party developers can get all the money they need from other consoles without the greif of having to develop the game for multiple specifications. You can't possibly how much you're underplaying the added time and expense of developing for multiple specifications. It's practically the same thing as developing a multiplatform game, except it's just one platform. It would go over like a Lead Zeppelin.

Like seriously guys? You think one of the consoles is going to be a tablet? Are you thinking Wii U gamepad or iPad type of tablet, because if its the later, you could have the develop and test touch controls just for that version. You think one verison is going to be some super high specd beast that will be able to duke it out spec wise with any other console? Awesome! Good luck essentially making an HD remake WHILE you're developing the core game. Its absolutely ridiculous what you're suggesting. It is never going to happen.

Maybe, *maybe* there is a handheld and a home consoles that accepts the same game cartridges/disks. Maybe. But they would be remarkably similar in the sense that the NX console controller would more or less have to have the exact same number of buttons and layout of the NX handheld. The specifications would have to be practically identical, the only difference being that the home console outputs the game to the TV at HD and the handheld outputs it to a screen size resolution. If that is pretty much the only difference between the two, maybe it's possible. Maybe. But you would still be literally doubling most of the development costs.

Then either your handheld is going to cost and arm and a leg, or your home console is going to be cheap as dirt. There will be no tablet version. There will be no "hardcore, higher spec'd" version. That absolutely, 100% will not happen. If they do do this, and the graphical fidelity isn't at least as good as the PS4 and X1 are at the time, and the developer tools aren't improved dramatically, it will be the biggest Nintendo failure yet.

This is such an ambitious idea, and look at Nintendo's track record. Why on earth do you guys think Nintendo can actually pull this off well? Their network play finally rivals that of of Xbox Live! ...for the original xbox. Their developer tools are worst than a joke, because no one is laughing when they have to use them. This would require developing very close partnerships with your third parties, something Nitendo, historically has been pretty terrible at maintaining if they can establish one in the first place. Maybe it can be done, maybe such a concept could be pulled off successfully, but not by Nintendo.

it already happened, GC was high spec'd than PS2 that time. the thing that got Nintendo way off is the purple cube design which is too kiddie and nobody adopted into it.

Ohh yes. That's why the gamecube didn't catch on. It was purple. It also came in about 7 different colours. The accent colours for the Super Nintendo were pink and purple and that sold just fine last I checked.

Ruler said:

I think it will do okay if they make it x86 architecture, make it powered like the x1 to sell it cheaper. Because that fits more with their bussines model.

How many mac user are out there 10 million? yet on steam every day games getting ported to OSX and linux as well.

Mac / Linux get ports for this reason: the royalties are fantastic since the Apple and the open source community behind Linux don't ask for royalties for software on the platform.

Considering how very little Nintendo makes on royalties of 3rd party games, they should cut their royalties 50 - 90 %. That should make some 3rd parties perk up at the chance to port games to the NX. Hell, even the WiiU.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
Burek said:
No AAA 3rd party support = flop.

Simple as that.

This has been proven wrong

I still think it's a handheld, so I don't think it would flop..

But IF it was a home console, it possibly could, given that they still have no 3rd party support

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

10mil is not even close enough to be viable

Not on its own, but that's why you're supposed to expand your audience by drawing in customers outside the core fanbase, something Nintendo refuses to do. That core fanbase is their emergency safety net, it's all that stands between them and oblivion.

maybe they just cant do it

tbone51 said:
Burek said:
No AAA 3rd party support = flop.

Simple as that.

This has been proven wrong

We are talking about 2016, not some bygone era of yesteryear. 

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:

Not on its own, but that's why you're supposed to expand your audience by drawing in customers outside the core fanbase, something Nintendo refuses to do. That core fanbase is their emergency safety net, it's all that stands between them and oblivion.

maybe they just cant do it

It's not rocket science. Make games across varying genres that appeal to varying demographics.