By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One Backwards compatibility with Discs. Isnt that DRM?

Devs are making too much money off remasters. This Xbox One BC isn't anything to write home about, IMO

Around the Network

I like it this way better because I have some fucked up game disc that I wouldn't have been able to install otherwise.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

What the X1 is doing is putting digital versions of the 360 games on X1, so when you put the 360 disk in, it will download it and then you play it (with disk in to confirm you still own game). The 360 game needs to be ported to the X1 since it's different architecture and hense why theres a small amount of games to start with and will expand as each game is ported to digital that will be able to run on X1. The disc needs to be in the system to play the game otherwise you could use the disc - download - sell, the next person could use the disc- download it- and sell, and the process repeats.

The 360 game can't be transfered to the X1 from disc and it would magically run because the code needs to be ported to be able to run on the X1

This guy has been on a crusade to make this look terrible. You don't have to do it this way. You can either keep your 360 or just play what's offered current gen.

It's already been explained a bunch of times in this thread... 360 games themselves do not run on XB1.  M$ is creating updated versions of select 360 titles to be ported to the XB1 digitial store.  From there you can dowload the 360 games for play on your XB1 by either 1) paying for the game in question, same as any other digital service, or 2) if you have a physical copy or a digital copy of the original 360 game that's tied to your account, it will be verified and you can download the updated XB1 version for free.  This is where the "backwards compatible" thing comes into play.

It's not rocket science people.  It's better they do this than release a more expensive version of the XB1 hardware just to be able to run 360 games (Sony abandoned this feature in later PS3 models and altogether on PS4 for a reason...).

At least M$ found some way to bring backwards compatibility to the current gen, unlike Nintendo where you have to shell out $5-$10 a pop on VC games even if you own the originals.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Playstation_prophet said:
Devs are making too much money off remasters. This Xbox One BC isn't anything to write home about, IMO

this is what i am thinking more and more, we will never see true BC like the PS2 and PS3 did. If Sony and MS wanetd they could have allready made BC for PS1, PS2 and XBox OG games but i am pretty sure the entire industry would sue them. 

Don't see it like that.

Works almost like gen 7 or 8... Bought digital, download and install, never needs disc back. Bought physical, download, install, use disc for validation (how else would they prevent abuse of loans and rentals?

It could be better and just need to download patch for compatibility. But without technical details all is speculation. Would be the same only if it had online checks. Needing disk is a drm from the beggining of games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Im gonna lock this up and ask you to direct discussion to this thread -

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=204302

Sorry for the inconvenience. We have too many threads on the subject.