By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One Backwards compatibility with Discs. Isnt that DRM?

go to 1 minute 15 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PMjqmggn_o#t=1m15s

- So basicly he says that the Xbox 360 games you purchased from Xbox Store will show up on Xbox One to be downloaded and played on your Xbox One (at least the 100 planed so far).

- And retail disc work as well (he obviuosly means the 100 games). Put your your disc in and download (not installing) the game (Why downloading it, why cant it be just installed from the disc? And from where? The Marketplace?)

- Devolopers need just to aprove if their games should show up (in what the online store?). No work is required on their part (so maybe MS is actually putting work into, i hope so because it wouldnt be justifyble at all to put DRM on an Emulator across all copies may it be digital or physical).

Sorry guys but for me the whole backwards compatibility on Xbox One sounds shady the way MS is implementing it and giving actually third parties the power on it even for their disc based games.

So if i am correct if you own the discs and put them in your Xbox One you need to download it from the market place (i think), meaning you need an internet connection. And i am not sure where the games can be downloaded like i said. If its from the market placed or just a download from MS or something.

And if third parties can aprove they also might be able to dissaprove with their games being backwards compatible.

So lets say in a scenario if a Remastered Version of Mass Effect Trilogy comes out, EA remove Mass Effects from the store, because EA is EA. Meaning either way your disc based and digital games wont work on your Xbox One anymore. Or at least you can still play it or still even redownload it if you managed to download the games before EA removed it.

Like i said this all speculation and imagining but do you see where i am going there? The way Microsoft implentents Xbox 360 backwards comapatibility isnt how it should be at least when it comes to Disc based 360 games.

Well i hope they clarify what they told in their Press conference to know how it actually works.

Around the Network

thats actually pretty fucked up

kowenicki said:
You're overthinking this...

You bought the game for xbox 360... for 360 there is no issue. This ability to play on the Xbox ONE is a gift.

its still a hassle

Basically what's going on is the disc is a auth check. And than you download a ported copy that works on the X1. You aren't using the disc to run the game. Since you can't change the data on the disc.

kowenicki said:
You're overthinking this...

You bought the game for xbox 360... for 360 there is no issue. This ability to play on the Xbox ONE is a gift.

no i am not overthinking this you need to download it from somewhere despite that the game is allready on the disc

Around the Network
archer9234 said:

Basically what's going on is the disc is a auth check. And than you download a ported copy that works on the X1. You aren't using the disc to run the game. Since you can't change the data on the disc.

yeah but why not just installing it from the disc?

Is this thread for real? MS Builds a way for bc and now this is a bad thing? We don't know why it's not possible for discs but I guess we can assume it's a complete technical reason, though I am not surprised that people are already thinking MS is trying something bad here.
Btw, with this they automatically killed many potential remasters so I guess they had to give publishers the option to not allow games to be emulated.

This thread made me chuckle. XD

You are making many leaps in logic to try to connect this to DRM, and thus something bad and something shady.

When he said "download" he likely meant "install", since any game from the original Xbox 360 could be installed to the hard drive (though this sometimes resulted in slower load times or other glitches for older games not designed for it). Even with Xbox One DRM, the data was always going to be installed from the disc. The DRM that people rightfully complained about was that the system itself needed to always be connected to the internet.

Yes, third parties probably want approval over the process so that they can re-release certain games and force people to buy those re-releases. That'd suck, but that's not DRM and that's still far better than the current situation on either Xbox One or PS4, and is also not necessarily all that different from Xbox 360 (which also never had full backwards compatibility).

Inconvenient? Sure. Shady? Hardly.

Ruler said:
archer9234 said:

yeah but why not just installing it from the disc?

That's assuming the 360 installation is the same as the X1. And then a huge patch that ports the games code to X1 would be installed over it. Which could well be 50% of the game. Redundant installation.