By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One Backwards compatibility with Discs. Isnt that DRM?

walsufnir said:
Is this thread for real? MS Builds a way for bc and now this is a bad thing? We don't know why it's not possible for discs but I guess we can assume it's a complete technical reason, though I am not surprised that people are already thinking MS is trying something bad here.
Btw, with this they automatically killed many potential remasters so I guess they had to give publishers the option to not allow games to be emulated.

its not as great as the PS2, PS3 and the selected Xbox 360 Backwards compatibility was

Around the Network

Well, as long as most games can be played on the XOne, then it should be fine

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Ruler said:
walsufnir said:
Is this thread for real? MS Builds a way for bc and now this is a bad thing? We don't know why it's not possible for discs but I guess we can assume it's a complete technical reason, though I am not surprised that people are already thinking MS is trying something bad here.
Btw, with this they automatically killed many potential remasters so I guess they had to give publishers the option to not allow games to be emulated.

its not as great as the PS2, PS3 and the selected Xbox 360 Backwards compatibility was

actually it's doing the same thing as 360's cpompatibility. You had to wait for patches for the games to work on 360. Which is basically that now. Except they make you install the entire ported game.

kowenicki said:
Ruler said:

But its better than the current situation on PS4 and ONE.  No?

yes but doesnt mean it cant be better. I would much rather have seen original xbox being 100% backwards compatible on xbox one without any restrictions than this

Could it have something to do with the 360 not being Bluray?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Ruler said:

But its better than the current situation on PS4 and ONE.  No?

Definitely.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Puppyroach said:
Could it have something to do with the 360 not being Bluray?

No. The disc type Doesn't matter. It's the game engine and code that matter. Think of it like this: You are trying to run Windows 95 on a modern PC. You can't. Because the drivers and code do not understand the hardware. You have to make a enviroment that mimics 1995 hardware. Or you have to reprogram the code to now accept different hardware/software systems.

archer9234 said:

No. The disc type Doesn't matter. It's the game engine and code that matter. Think of it like this: You are trying to run Windows 95 on a modern PC. You can't. Because the drivers and code do not understand the hardware. You have to make a enviroment that mimics 1995 hardware. Or you have to reprogram the code to now accept different hardware/software systems.

We can assume that they have a translator for 360 CPU/GPU to XOne CPU/GPU, similar to Rosetta for Mac OS when they changed the architecture, or they simply build an emulator. But as we have these download requirement, that I suppose that includes some config or executable, maybe the first option is more likely.

Think about it. If you are able to install the game in any Xbox One with just one disc... Well, you have infinite games. Give it to a friend, he installs it, then to another and keep going...

This is why (this way of) BC needs some way of DRM.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Ruler said:

- And retail disc work as well (he obviuosly means the 100 games). Put your your disc in and download (not installing) the game (Why downloading it, why cant it be just installed from the disc? And from where? The Marketplace?)

Because the game you will download have changes to work in Xbone... it is not the same iso/bin found in the retail disc... that is why you need to download a new iso/bin.

The new iso/bin have config or changes to work on the 360 emulator in Xbone.