By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Downloading Bloodborne, 40 GB on PS4, Sony should really compress their games like Steam

PullusPardus said:
sabvre42 said:
They do compress the games.

TLOUR was something like 25GB unpacked, but only required me to download 7-12GB.

You think it is rockstar's fault? I remember the payne of downloading max payne 3 (pun intended) which was 50 gigs. Funny enough I barely played it.

Well ... I think its more about installation times and the company utilizing Sony's background download process. When i downloaded Diablo III on PS3... it took like 3 hours to download and another hour to freaking install. Installation on the PS4 has never broken 3 minutes for me (i only play digital).

However, sony also implremented the ability to download the game and start playing while the rest downloads in the background (the same thing that blizzard utilizes with its games and patches).

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

Or, they could get faster servers...

I get 30-32MBs on Origin, Steam and GOG, Sony severs are terribly slow and eve system updates can take 3-4 minutes to download and some patches in the 1GB region can take over 20 minutes.

They have the gaikai servers so why don't they use them? 

PullusPardus said:
Mummelmann said:

Or, they could get faster servers...

I get 30-32MBs on Origin, Steam and GOG, Sony severs are terribly slow and eve system updates can take 3-4 minutes to download and some patches in the 1GB region can take over 20 minutes.

I'm pretty sure Sony throttles your downloads based on forcing QoS on people. If you upgrade or downgrade your ISP speeds... you'll notice that your PSN speeds seem to scale with the percentage that you changed.

I feel like the PS4 is about 30-35% of your max speed, the vita is 15% of your max speed and the PS3 just has a shitty NIC.

sabvre42 said:
PullusPardus said:

I'm pretty sure Sony throttles your downloads based on forcing QoS on people. If you upgrade or downgrade your ISP speeds... you'll notice that your PSN speeds seem to scale with the percentage that you changed.

I feel like the PS4 is about 30-35% of your max speed, the vita is 15% of your max speed and the PS3 just has a shitty NIC.

Yeah, I didn't notice any significant difference on PS3 downloads despite having 10x the speed that I used to. It's super annoying, the very reason I have a fast connection is to avoid all the waiting.

sabvre42 said:
PullusPardus said:

That's pretty bad. 

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
sabvre42 said:

That's pretty bad. 

Yes and No honestly.

In a more heavily web based world -- it actually makes sense to enforce a form of QoS on a device like the PS4. The PS4 and Vita are both entwined in a marriage based on remote play and now PS Now. Also, if you remember the PS3 wouldn't download ANYTHING while you were doing ANYTHING.  Inversely, the PS4 will let you play games... but they QoS your download even more if you are in a game.

But more importantly, the ovewhelming majority of (almost all) gamers are too stupid and/or ignorant to implement their own form of QoS. If they live in a house with multiple other devices using the web ... its not really acceptable for that one device to eat up the entire bandwidth.

I just wish that IF I am right... they actually implemented an override... or some way to bring it up to closer to 70%.

I don't see the point of downloading a current gen AAA game when there's perfectly good retail copies of it.

BraLoD said:
It would be really cool to have a compress tool, so we could keep the games compressed while not playing it, and I think the PS4 is powerful enough to decompress it pretty quickly when we would want to.

I'll not be downloading games, but even the BD do install it on the system, so they could have a option to compress the game, so if you aren't playing it anymore you can compress it, and if you want to go back to it sometime you take some minutes to decompress it and play again, so all games would have it and even to download you would be able to get it faster.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's already the case. Most of what you download is game data. It makes more sense to have that compressed on disc. GPUs already work directly from compressed textures. Reading the data takes the most time, decompressing it on the fly is faster than reading uncompressed data. Maybe that also explains why switching to an SSD only gives a small advantage.

I've always worked in software with custom compression to keep the data size as small as possible, zip couldn't take more than a percentage of it. Decompressing to ram while reading is the best way to do it.

elazz said:
As long as the servers of Sony are good than for me it's not a problem. Usually PSN hovers around 30 - 40 Mbps for me but sometimes it's slow, I'm still wondering why it isn't higher for PSN since with my 160Mbps line getting around 12 - 15MB download speed on Origin or Steam is common when servers aren't busy. Then it is annoying when you have a big game to download.

I remember that after downloading 7 - 10GB, don't remember the amount that I already was able to play the multiplayer of the Last of Us while it continued downloading. In parts is a solution at least. Compressing games can be a solution for big games but then you have an installation again. If you don't have fast internet than that would obviously be a better option I guess

Yeah, the case with TLOU was pretty mysterious to me. I remember being able to play all the parts of the game from my old saves at 50% on ps3, If I remember right, I think I was able to play multiplayer as well.

Aeolus451 said:
I don't see the point of downloading a current gen AAA game when there's perfectly good retail copies of it.

Cheaper for me, also saves a long trip.