By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Can movie studios please stop splitting movies?

Gotta milk that cow dry...

Around the Network
Ouroboros24 said:
Zappykins said:
But it gives you like a 4 hour movie and they get to make more money.

Plus, those two movies are more the whole book than most of the other book/movies of Harry Potter. They in effect made that book like a 4 hour movie and cut less out than usual.

Plus, the second movie is really different for a Hatty Potter, but I think also really good.

It's debatable to state whether the movies were more quantity over quality, but that's not the point here.  If you've ever watch Lawrence of Arabia, it's about 227 minutes long, that's about 4 hours long.  Imagine right where the halftime of the movie is about to hit, it ends.  Wait a year and pay another price for admittance and you'll see the rest.  It's just a bad practice on a movie.  It's more or less essentially a DLC for movies. 

OMG, that's may just be the trend in the near future.  Sure, it's big titles like Harry Potter and the Avengers, but then if it does become more profitiable, little movies like 'Spy' might just start doing it.  No Lord, please I don't want to live in a world of movie DLCs.

It think it really depends on the movie.  There are some movies that are 90 minutes long, and I think they are too long.  Other, I'm happy to watch the 4 hour one like the extended Lord of the Rings movies.

But yet, ending in the action is annoying.  Did you see the 2nd hobbit one?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

So you JUST realized you were watching part 1? Isn't Part 1 specifically in the name of the movie? Like when they do the whole movie title thing it says "Part 1".

TheGoldenBoy said:
But Harry Potter was the first to do it and then everyone copied them.

I do agree it needs to stop.

No, it wasn't the first. Kill Bill comes to mind and a few others.. of course also TV-series with big story arc or mini-series like Band of Brothers.

What you essentially demand is that every story is shoehorned into 100 - 150 minutes, no matter how complex the story is or how much has to been cut for that time limit.

I don't want that!

Skullwaker said:
You're asking studios to stop making money. Although I agree it is pretty stupid, especially if the content can appropriately fit into one film.

Hehe so true. I think it is unfortunate for the consumer but it's like asking game developers to not charge for DLC or not have microtransactions in games. Sadly those elements are here to stay :(

Around the Network

Tell that to the Hobbit, the one who truly were money hungry. I mean 300 pages = 3, 2 hour and 40 min plus movies. Explains why the first one was so boring.
Harry Potter is one of the few that really needed 2 parts, if you don't think so then you haven't read it lol 700+ page book = 2 plus movies.

Got to keep fans happy by keeping ad much content from the books as possible, why not make more doing so. There is nothing wrong with this practice. "Giant tease" yet still rather good films so why complain, people complain about movies not being close at all to books....don't forget books don't have to waste time showing you what is happening for a long period.  Movies do.

Preston Scott

jlmurph2 said:
So you JUST realized you were watching part 1? Isn't Part 1 specifically in the name of the movie? Like when they do the whole movie title thing it says "Part 1".

Apparently you don't watch movies high.   When something ends, and you just realized that was the ending, you can still say you just realized it was part 1.  Then, you can JUST realize that you need to get part 2. 

Why are you not even adding into the discussion.  Please don't try to derail this thread.  Let me get it back on track.  So, I dislike splitting movies.  It's a bad artistic thing to do when all you're doing is milking something.  And I know, it's business, but at one point there was an artistic expression when pen first scribble on paper. 

Conina said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
But Harry Potter was the first to do it and then everyone copied them.

I do agree it needs to stop.

No, it wasn't the first. Kill Bill comes to mind and a few others.. of course also TV-series with big story arc or mini-series like Band of Brothers.

What you essentially demand is that every story is shoehorned into 100 - 150 minutes, no matter how complex the story is or how much has to been cut for that time limit.

I don't want that!

Who wants that?  Give me Lawrence of Arabia, give me the whole of Gone with the Wind, give me The Watchmen, give me The Dark Knight Rises.  Give me the whole movie.  If you have to charge me an extra 5 dollars for it, charge me for the time it takes to finish your damn movie.  Don't make me wait a year, don't make me wait 6 months, give me the damn movie that very night. 

I remember Matrix II back in the day...I was so pissed of.

Ouroboros24 said:

If you have to charge me an extra 5 dollars for it, charge me for the time it takes to finish your damn movie.  Don't make me wait a year, don't make me wait 6 months, give me the damn movie that very night. 

You don't have to wait a year or 6 month for Part 2 of Deathly Hollows... it's already available.

Just go in the next shop and buy or rent it. Or order it on Amazon and you have it the next day. Or rent it as a Stream and you can see it instantly: http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/harry%20potter

For new movies: just inform yourself if the story gets splitted and wait until it is complete if cliffhangers annoy you so much. Then you can watch all parts back to back and probably even save money due to price reductions of part 1. Most cinemas also offer double-features of two-parters if they are popular enough.