By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oculus Rift is the next HD DVD

Too early to tell. We'll just have to wait and see the support VR will get before deciding whether Oculus (or VR in general) will succeed or not.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
inconvenient truth, the first few years of blu-ray were pretty dismal, hd-dvd versions of things available on bluray also, looked better on hd-dvd, because the VC-1 codec used was better than the MPEG2 used for bluray.

Yep, HD-DVD forced Blu-ray to go to market before it was ready. Single layer discs, mpgeg2, uncompressed 5.1 pcm sound, H.264, DTS-HDMA and Dolby TrueHD weren't ready yet. Thanks to HD-DVD we had re-releases of many of the early blu-ray discs, and then again as the straight dump of HD-DVD movies onto Blu-ray became the inferior version.

Blu-ray had far more support from the start, higher capacity discs with more room for expansion and 1.5x higher data transfer rates.
Anyway here's a full retrospective http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/20/two-years-of-battle-between-hd-dvd-and-blu-ray-a-retrospective/

Oculus at it is right now is actually still a PC thing. And it's a Facebook thing already.

Right now it looks like MS jumped on the bandwagon to have a foot in the door if that VR thing actually gets successful. Which i think it wont.
The current integration of Xbox One actually is a joke. But now that MS has something in that direction they could do much more if there's need.

For the rest, we are talking about corporations. Really big ones. People should stop thinking like nice Sony, evil MS.
Sony for example really pissed me off when they recently chnanged many of their online services for AVR's and players. No more webradio, no more audio streaming etc. because 'older' equipment did not get an update to the new services. And 'old' means stuff bought just one year ago.
Sony was the only one in that busness who did that.
Really guys, those companies are companies. Everyone of em makes better or worse moves.

taus90 said:
Normchacho said:
DirtyP2002 said:
I think out of the three major vr products, oculus rift has the best chances to succeed. First it is backed by Microsoft in combination with Facebook. This is basically unmatched. And it will get easy support from Windows 10.

Valve is new to the hardware business (HTC is not), they will have a hard time to sell those steam machines and I just don't get why they are skipping such a crucial E3 for them. Sure Steam is big, but I bet PC games will support Oculus as well.

Morpheus... Well that is Sony doing their own thing, without a major partner and no relation to PC gaming. Somehow this sounds more like HD-DVD than the other products.

I agree though HoloLens will be a new level.

That's weird, I think Oculus may find themselves having the most trouble.

Valve as of right now pretty much owns the PC gaming space and have a good reputation amongst PC gamers. On top of that, their headset is likely going to be the first to market and will pack the best hardware. It will be more expensive, but for the people that are willing to throw down the kind of money for a PC that will even run a VR headset, and the early adopters that are going to be so important to VRs sucess, that better hardware and early launch are going to be important.

Sony is the only one without a major partner because they're the only one who doesn't need one. Sony does hardware and software all by themselves.  The Morpheus will most likely be the cheapest of the three headsets and will require the smallest investment to be able to use, which means that it will be the most mass market friendly. Being on console also means that it will have no direct competitor.

The Rift though, could end up in a tight spot. It's going to launch after the Vive and won't be as good of hardware. It will be cheaper but likely still far from cheap with the CEO quoted as saying that the headset and PC to run it together should cost around $1500. They also don't have the established fanbase or storefront from which to market their headset or it's games.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Oculus is owned by Facebook now. Which has not been a very popular change amongst the very people they need to buy it when it launches next year.

+ 1

also I would believe Microsoft and oculus partnership will do more harm to VR than benefit anyone of them. I just hope casual adopter of VR, doesn't get the impression, that VR is all about sitting in a virtual room and play game on a screen front.. and that morpheus and HTC vive will be the same.

Also I agree with the OP, the way MS implemented HD DVD to 360, just to play movies and not games. xbox1 VR implementation is in the same league as HD DVD was. tacked on.

I actually don't think the MS partnership will hurt VR as a whole. I think other headsets (particularly the Morpheus) will get enough attention to make sure people know what VR is about.

I don't think OR is really that much like HD DVD. HD DVD was beaten out by a better tech that had more backers, OR just might get stuck between a cheaper, more market friendly device, and a more impressive, hardcore focused device.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Just hope this time it don't cost so much for Sony to make vr successfull on ps4 because of ms intervention.

About MS not having monopoly even 5 min google would show you Netscape, Windows bad competiting behavior, etc. But that is off-topic.

Still waiting to know Sony monopoly. Or is ps4 50% a monopoly now?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
taus90 said:

My stomach hurts from watching this! nice to see Don Mattrick there!!

Where did u get it?

kitler53 said:

and by that i mean a doomed technology publically backed by MS but given no real investment by MS to ensure its success.  OR will fail in all aspects except the one thing MS cares about,..  disrupt and prevent the adoption of VR devices and force sony/valve to loose large amounts of money while ms waits for the market to jump into the next set of techology. for HD DVD it was waiting for digital distribution to become feasible with faster internet and larger storage devices, for VR it is waiting for hololense technology to become practically priced and software suport to increase. 

Dude you are so biased that if you only knew how funnyyour post is... hilarious. Wtf you on about? MS made Rift natively supported on windows 10. How are they making it fail? Why are you crying horribly about something thats not there? MS is making sure it works perfectly fine when itq launches in their newest OS. And what does MS have to do with Sony? Lol cant belive the shit i read on here xD

Normchacho said:
taus90 said:
Normchacho said:
DirtyP2002 said:
I think out of the three major vr products, oculus rift has the best chances to succeed. First it is backed by Microsoft in combination with Facebook. This is basically unmatched. And it will get easy support from Windows 10.

Valve is new to the hardware business (HTC is not), they will have a hard time to sell those steam machines and I just don't get why they are skipping such a crucial E3 for them. Sure Steam is big, but I bet PC games will support Oculus as well.

Morpheus... Well that is Sony doing their own thing, without a major partner and no relation to PC gaming. Somehow this sounds more like HD-DVD than the other products.

I agree though HoloLens will be a new level.

That's weird, I think Oculus may find themselves having the most trouble.

Valve as of right now pretty much owns the PC gaming space and have a good reputation amongst PC gamers. On top of that, their headset is likely going to be the first to market and will pack the best hardware. It will be more expensive, but for the people that are willing to throw down the kind of money for a PC that will even run a VR headset, and the early adopters that are going to be so important to VRs sucess, that better hardware and early launch are going to be important.

Sony is the only one without a major partner because they're the only one who doesn't need one. Sony does hardware and software all by themselves.  The Morpheus will most likely be the cheapest of the three headsets and will require the smallest investment to be able to use, which means that it will be the most mass market friendly. Being on console also means that it will have no direct competitor.

The Rift though, could end up in a tight spot. It's going to launch after the Vive and won't be as good of hardware. It will be cheaper but likely still far from cheap with the CEO quoted as saying that the headset and PC to run it together should cost around $1500. They also don't have the established fanbase or storefront from which to market their headset or it's games.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Oculus is owned by Facebook now. Which has not been a very popular change amongst the very people they need to buy it when it launches next year.

+ 1

also I would believe Microsoft and oculus partnership will do more harm to VR than benefit anyone of them. I just hope casual adopter of VR, doesn't get the impression, that VR is all about sitting in a virtual room and play game on a screen front.. and that morpheus and HTC vive will be the same.

Also I agree with the OP, the way MS implemented HD DVD to 360, just to play movies and not games. xbox1 VR implementation is in the same league as HD DVD was. tacked on.

I actually don't think the MS partnership will hurt VR as a whole. I think other headsets (particularly the Morpheus) will get enough attention to make sure people know what VR is about.

I don't think OR is really that much like HD DVD. HD DVD was beaten out by a better tech that had more backers, OR just might get stuck between a cheaper, more market friendly device, and a more impressive, hardcore focused device.

I m not saying what led to its doom. I m just saying MS has similar apporoach with vr as they had with HD DVD.. half baked implementation.