By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kotaku: Xenoblade Chronicles Import Preview -- 'in one word, it would be “boredom.'

sc94597 said:

You can't ignore the actual content of the review though, because that is what you are using for your argument. They gave the game some negatives, and still gave it scores in the 80's and 90's. The same probably will happen with Xenoblade X, especially since it is a much more hyped game and reviewers tend to inflate their review scores based on hype. 

Well I found with this reviewer in particular that he didn't even finish the main story (he says so) before writing his review. Every Xeno game's story comes together into a package at the end, so that is a big no-no. But Tachikoma, a native Japanese speaker, did give this critique with regards to import reviews earlier. She said that it seems as if they are using google-translate or have poor Japanese skills in their reviews. When you say main character, you are referring to Elma, correct? From what I gather, the story of this game is much less about her even. A major event happens to a side-character and a revelation is made about the world of Mira and the humans in NLA. The story is about Mira and its inhabitants as a whole. 

Yet when the game re-released on 3DS it got an 86 metacritic, despite the 3DS version being worse technically. So we do know how people will react to the game today. A little bit less enthusiastically than they did in 2011, but still considerably well. With a new experience, unless something is worse (which nothing seems to be) I can't see them giving a score less than Xenoblade 3D. 

They did underate it, even if slightly - probably because it was a niche game at the time, the equivalent Amazon. JP score is  88%. The game scored a 92% on GameRankings and Metacritic. Similarly, The Witcher 3 has an average review score equivalent to 83% on Amazon.JP and in the West its score is a 93%.  Xenoblade Chronicles 3D has an average score on Amazon.JP equivalent to 79% and in the West it has an average of 86%. So how much of a change the 73% makes is really hard to predict. Japanese audiences and Western audiences are truly diferent in their tastes, and it is obvious that this game is trying to entice western audiences. 

Or it is just not the entirely new experience that Xenoblade Chronicles was. I expect there to be a drop, but not a ten point drop. Somewhere between 85% and 90 %. Western reviewers will probably be much more receptive to the changes, such as the open-world story pacing (side quests -> main event -> side quests ->  main event and the mixture of quest types (from the sounds of it the side-quests have been improved over XBC) and the online component. 

Thanks. This is the best response I've gotten and really I appreciate it.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

[double post]

so i read more comments on the reviewer here and seems he wasnt a fan of the first game either. which would explain his disdain for the 2nd game here. so if you were fans of the first game, i see no reason why u wouldnt like XCX

SubiyaCryolite said:
Mnementh said:

So you basically contradict yourself. You said the game might be divisive. That means it will get some low scores, and no way with some low scores it can keep an average above 80. One low score might be possible, but that's not divisive, it is the fact that people have differing opinions and there always might be someone whho disagrees with majority (as I do about GTA, but I still don't claim GTA V is a bad game, I claim I didn't like it in contrary to the majority). You posted a negative preview (nothing wrong with that) but you reinforced along the thread, that this opinion of the Kotaku-author might be relevant. But boredom isn't a 80-83 either. So while the score might be lower it won't be in your opinion a major desaster, like say the Order. Yes, it might not as the Witcher or Bloodborne match it's hype, but it isn't unheard of that sequels perform slightly worse than highly acclaimed predecessors. That would be nothing to surprise me, I already wrote I expect a Meta above 80, so the same. Still you tried massively to defend Kotaku, despite it being contrary to your own opinion as you show here. So the reason must be that you wanted your thread to be popular by defending an unpopular opinion. That would mean I and others should ignore this thread (and maybe other threads from you) as you rise a controversity for nothing. Maybe you should take some lessons in subtlety from Rol sometimes.

No I don't. Since when does divisive mean low scores? Inquisition got the same score and lots of people either love it or tear it to shreds, similar to Dragon Age II (82). Are you going to deny that? When have I implied that it will get low (sub 80) scores? All I've said is gamers will simply have higher expectations for numerous reasons (predecessors legacy and the state of the RPG genre post W3) and as a result it may score lower. Is that reaching, is that "trying too hard".

Unlike its predecessor there wont be "universal acclaim". Is that easy enough for you to understand?

Also, stop being disingenuous because its no secret that 8/10 games are considered dissapointing (if not crap) in some circles, especially on VGChartz.

This whole Kotaku thing is retarded and childish because many threads on VGChartz have used Kotaku as a source and hardly anyone ever complains about it until now, and that's only because of the game in question. A thread created less than 3 days ago references Kotaku and no one said a damn thing, but that was a Sony discussion so I guess the fanbase didn't have an axe to grind. Lastly, I'm not a fan of "that" user so I have no intention of "learning" anything from him.

LOL. The question is still why you try so hard to sprinkle uncertainty about the game prior to it's release in abscence of critical hints about bad quality. There are always people who dislike a game more than others, no problem with that. There are always people who like a game too. Thats nothing incredible. But look, you said you expect 80-83. If the preview would have a 82 besides it, most people here wouldn't much argue, as it matches more or less their expectations. Boredom on the other hand points to something incredibly lower than that. people don't expect that, so they argue. Your incredible image says a meta of 80 would point to an average game. So Borderlands Handsome Collection, Tales of Borderlands, Project Cars, Final Fantasy X remake and Dark Souls 2 would be average:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/new-releases/ps4/metascore

Only as an example. I doubt people are agreeing. Some people might expect more than 83 for XCX, but I doubt many expect a higher meta than XC had. So if the Kotaku-writer had said '82' people would be agreeing. He obviously did not. You defending him although you have a different opinion yourself is ... strange.

And yes, everyone can see Rol is more subtle than you, so like him or not, you could learn.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Hiku said:
Game you like gets favorable review: Oh great scores. I hope it sells well.
Game you like gets unfavorable review: Well it's *insert name of site*. No one takes them seriously anyway. They're trash.

Rise and repeat.

In a nutshell.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

LOL. The question is still why you try so hard to sprinkle uncertainty about the game prior to it's release in abscence of critical hints about bad quality. There are always people who dislike a game more than others, no problem with that. There are always people who like a game too. Thats nothing incredible. But look, you said you expect 80-83. If the preview would have a 82 besides it, most people here wouldn't much argue, as it matches more or less their expectations. Boredom on the other hand points to something incredibly lower than that. people don't expect that, so they argue. Your incredible image says a meta of 80 would point to an average game. So Borderlands Handsome Collection, Tales of Borderlands, Project Cars, Final Fantasy X remake and Dark Souls 2 would be average:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/new-releases/ps4/metascore

Only as an example. I doubt people are agreeing. Some people might expect more than 83 for XCX, but I doubt many expect a higher meta than XC had. So if the Kotaku-writer had said '82' people would be agreeing. He obviously did not. You defending him although you have a different opinion yourself is ... strange.

And yes, everyone can see Rol is more subtle than you, so like him or not, you could learn.

"The question is still why you try so hard to sprinkle uncertainty about the game prior to it's release in abscence of critical hints about bad quality." *facepalm* You wont accept Kotaku, Amazon.co.jp, various Japanese retailers or even import impressions. There are "critical hints about quality" but you're simply ignoring them, or at least the ones you dont want to hear.

"Boredom on the other hand points to something incredibly lower than that."

No it does not.

"So Borderlands Handsome Collection, Tales of Borderlands, Project Cars, Final Fantasy X remake and Dark Souls 2 would be average".

Not to me personally but to many deranged fanboys? Absolutely. Bring those games up in any "Which console has the best games" thread and watch them get dismissed as if they were trash. And Project Cars in particular is getting shat on a lot around here, and not just by Nintendo fans.

"You defending him although you have a different opinion yourself is ... strange."

*sigh* At least I have an idea of how your mind works

"We return to Bioware's most divisive RPG." - PC Gamer talking about Dragon Age II (82/100) in a Reinstall article. You must be one of the few that thinks divisive and boring == low scores. A game can have "good" scores but still divide fans or be considered boring by some. It happens all the time. And Im not interested in joining the Rol fanclub so let that slide.