By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kotaku: Xenoblade Chronicles Import Preview -- 'in one word, it would be “boredom.'

Wagram said:

I don't see how disliking the first title has any barring on this discussion. It's only being used by apologists to combat negative feedback by one person. I dislike Xenosaga II's combat. Did that stop me from loving Xenosaga III? No it didn't.

In addition, I also did some further research. It's been stated in many forums the plot is shorter with twelve narrative missions.

I'll be back in this thread at launch with a post. It might be to apologize or it'll be to throw this in peoples face. I'm sorry but the word of one person doesn't outdo that of many.

Please do, necro bumps are the best. I maintain that this game will be divisive unlike its predecessor, to what extent remains to be seen. :)

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
Kuksenkov said:
It would be a shame if they do compare it and review it based on what The Witcher 3 is.... Seems totally unfair for a different type of game.

It'll probably be amazing though, everyone has their own opinion, but a Kotaku writer who doesn't even like RPGs to begin with, doesn't point at much.

Xenoblade Chronicles has more in common with WRPGs and MMO design than it does with traditonal JRPG games imo. I dont think these comparisons can be completely ignored.

Yet people still compare XC to XCX as if XCX will be better. We already know that XCX will be completely different in XC, at least in the story aspect. I mean, you get to even play as your avatar, instead of the main character - this pretty makes up most of the Epic RPG's, playing as the main character.

Part of the reason why Kotaku thinks it will be boring story-wise, will be the lack of playing as the main character, as they are comparing so highly to XC.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Scoobes said:
JRPGs and wRPGs are two different genres so I'm not sure it's fair to compare XCX and Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 certainly did raise the bar in terms of side quests and makes the vast majority of RPG side missions look like basic filler (which I guess they are). But I have different expectations when playing a jRPG to a wRPG.

Thanks for your contribution. However, both are open world RPGs and I feel that XCX in particular is very similar to WRPGs in terms of design (bar mechs, sci-fi and anime themes). I feel players and reviewers will take note of these similarities and thus make comparisons regardless of those labels.

Both games having an open world doesn't make it a good point for comparision. The battle system in both games is extremely different, the setting too, even the music can't be compared.

You could argue that the huge amount of sidequests and the open world are valid points to compare but it's not enough to compare both games. Think about them as two separate games from two different leagues. You can't compare a wine and a beer.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Wagram said:
outlawauron said:

People are also claiming the author hated Xenoblade, but that's still repeated.

People don't often read full threads (not a VGC thing), so clarifications made after the fact often go missed. That's how joke threads are successful. I believe your work for NTH should have shown that.

I don't see how disliking the first title has any barring on this discussion. It's only being used by apologists to combat negative feedback by one person. I dislike Xenosaga II's combat. Did that stop me from loving Xenosaga III? No it didn't.

In addition, I also did some further research. It's been stated in many forums the plot is shorter with twelve narrative missions.

I'll be back in this thread at launch with a post. It might be to apologize or it'll be to throw this in peoples face. I'm sorry but the word of one person doesn't outdo that of many.

Well, I don't disagree that disliking a previous entry will disqualify you from offering valid critique or praise. i think there some creditability to the argument that if someone really dislikes something, then they should not be the one to review it. Someone who hates JRPGs should not be tasked with reviewing Persona 5. Someone who hates the NFL should not be asked to review Madden 16.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Anfebious said:

Both games having an open world doesn't make it a good point for comparision. The battle system in both games is extremely different, the setting too, even the music can't be compared.

You could argue that the huge amount of sidequests and the open world are valid points to compare but it's not enough to compare both games. Think about them as two separate games from two different leagues. You can't compare a wine and a beer.

No one would compare the games by their battle systems, music or settings though. When people talk about Fallout 4 and the Witcher 3 (links below), no ones talking about those elements. Were talking about RPG basics here: the quality of the story, the quality of quest design, character interactions, how you interact with npcs, enaging combat (regardless of the implementation), believability of the world around you and general engagement. Perhaps I should use the phrase "production value", and not in the superficial sense (graphics, VA) but in terms of the quality of the content. Is it stand out stuff that keeps you hooked, that doesnt "bore" you.

The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are very different (in terms of battlesystem, music and setting) but that doesnt stop discussion or comparisons.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/what-can-bethesda-do-with-fallout-4-since-the-witcher-3-is-the-best-open-world-rpg-of-all-time-904

http://www.shacknews.com/article/89838/opinion-will-fallout-4-measure-up-to-the-witcher-3

http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-things-fallout-4-must-learn-from-the-witcher-3.phpvvvvvvv

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/06/01/the-witcher-3-puts-a-whole-lot-of-pressure-on-fallout-4/

Eh. I'm sure other sites and potential fans will like it.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Anfebious said:

No one would compare the games by their battle systems, music or settings though. When people talk about Fallout 4 and the Witcher 3 (links below), no ones talking about those elements. Were talking about RPG basics here: the quality of the story, the quality of quest design, character interactions, how you interact with npcs, enaging combat (regardless of the implementation), believability of the world around you and general engagement. Perhaps I should use the phrase "production value", and not in the superficial sense (graphics, VA) but in terms of the quality of the content. Is it stand out stuff that keeps you hooked, that doesnt "bore" you.

The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are very different (in terms of battlesystem, music and setting) but that doesnt stop discussion or comparisons.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/what-can-bethesda-do-with-fallout-4-since-the-witcher-3-is-the-best-open-world-rpg-of-all-time-904

http://www.shacknews.com/article/89838/opinion-will-fallout-4-measure-up-to-the-witcher-3

http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-things-fallout-4-must-learn-from-the-witcher-3.phpvvvvvvv

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/06/01/the-witcher-3-puts-a-whole-lot-of-pressure-on-fallout-4/

You don't compare stuff such as the battle system, music and setting? Those are the most important parts in an RPG!

And you should try to compare them to see what I'm talking about. You can't compare them. One is set in a futuristic setting and the other one is set on a medieval one. Both use an action battle system but they play very differently. One is similar to a hack and slash game and the other one is more like a MMORPG. Even the music is absolutely different in style but thas has more to do with the setting in this case.

And you can't compare them because they are different in style, from the very core. One is a western developed RPG and the other one is Japanese.

You can compare the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 because both are Western RPG's and both will feature huge world maps to explore. When you compare Xenoblade Chronicles X (open world but not that huge) to the Withcer 3 then it doesn't make any sense.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

If that is all he can come up with to hate on the game then I am sure the game will be excellent. Only thing that seemed concerning was the 12 missions, but it turns out those are really 12 chapters. Besides that I already spoiled two main plot twists by accident, and from those twists alone I'm certain the story is Xenoblade level, if not better.

Anfebious said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Anfebious said:

You can compare the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 because both are Western RPG's and both will feature huge world maps to explore. When you compare Xenoblade Chronicles X (open world but not that huge) to the Withcer 3 then it doesn't make any sense.

I'm almost certain Xenoblade is more open world and bigger than the Witcher 3. The witcher 3 has hubs that while are huge put you between loading screens when you want to travel between them. Xenoblade is seamless from what has been said. Xenoblade is also something like 3-4 x the size of Skyrim while the Witcher is 20% bigger than Skyrim according to CDProjekt.