By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardest game you've ever played?

CladInShadows said:
Ninja Gaiden 1
Castlevania 1
The Adventures of Bayou Billy
Destination: Earthstar

All on the NES. I'm sure there are others, but that;s what comes to mind.

Oh yeah. Bayou Billy.  I got that came because it tried to do so much.  It had crazy variety but damn, it was hard. Especially the driving parts.  Would break my thumbs! I did beat it, though.  Probably the time in my life. Once, without the whip. That game. You die once and lose your powerups (whip, bullet proof vest, meat) and you're screwed.  It was either never die or die and start over.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network

I Wanna Be The Guy for me

Flappy Bird

Thanks jlmurph!

Ultrashroomz said:

One of the many great things about games is their difficulty. It pushes us to our limits, and makes us feel great when we accomplish those great feats. Sometimes however, a game goes too far, and we can experience things like a loss of patience, and frustration.

What is the hardest game you've ever played?

For me, it would have to be the original Castlevania on NES.

So many things make this game difficult, and are defining examples of "NES hard."

You have bottomless pits, enemies with devastating damage output, clunky controls, and did I mention bottomless pits?

A runner up for me would probably be Dark Souls, but I felt like that once you sank enough time in Dark Souls (about 1-2 hours), it was fairly smooth sailing, with one or two exceptions. One's thing for sure, I didn't find Dark Souls nowhere near as punishing as Castlevania.

Castlevania 1 hard?  Noob.  I get damaged at the location you posted as a shortcut.

Play Castlevania Chronicles.  THAT's a hard Castlevania.  The first one though?  No.

kupomogli said:

Castlevania 1 hard?  Noob.  I get damaged at the location you posted as a shortcut.

Play Castlevania Chronicles.  THAT's a hard Castlevania.  The first one though?  No.

lol, well hey, I just found the game hard, overall.

If you think it was easy, then great, you're better at Castlevania than me.

Around the Network

The game wasn't horrible, but getting 5-stars on Hector Hard Mode in Fire Emblem (7) was brutal. It took me an entire summer and like a million resets. *shivers*

If we're only talking about base difficulty though, probably one of the Souls games.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I couldn't beat the first stage in this game:

Though I didn't give it many tries, but it felt like it was going to be a tough game.

I also thought this one was rather tough:

Though I played through it enough to get good at it and beat it, but with only 2 continues, you have to be very careful.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on hard difficulty.

Nintendo and PC gamer

d21lewis said:

Oh yeah. Bayou Billy.  I got that came because it tried to do so much.  It had crazy variety but damn, it was hard. Especially the driving parts.  Would break my thumbs! I did beat it, though.  Probably the time in my life. Once, without the whip.

Damned impressive. The closest I can get to this is beating Ghouls n' Ghosts, which doesn't measure up.

The Wonderful 101 is so freakin' hard, especially the hidden missions. Maybe I should give it another go, now that I am pretty much done with Hyrule Warriors.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments