By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardest game you've ever played?

Celeste has been pretty hard for me to get through so far. I've only found one of the Crystal Hearts needed to get to the last proper level, and I'm stuck in the B-Side of Stage 2.
Only fun awaits me.

I Wanna Be the Guy was pretty hard, too, but I only ever got through the first few screens of it, so I wouldn't really count it.

lol signatues

Around the Network

Not really sure what the hardest game I've played was...

The hardest ones I've BEATEN are probably Ghosts and Goblins and the first Ninja Gaiden, both for the NES. Also beat Ghouls and Ghosts on the Genesis and Snes (quite a fan of that franchise).

There's a number of games I've played that just seemed next to impossible to beat; I don't imagine I'll ever beat Silver Surfer or Ninja Gaiden III for the nes. There's plenty of very difficult games still being made today, but I really don't think they compare.

John2290 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
The first game that comes to mind is Deadly Towers. Oh, Deadly Towers, how I both hate you and love you so much. (Well "love" is a strong word. I "like" you and I also hate your guts.) I had about 50 NES games. Most of them I'd play for a couple of weeks or so and then beat. Then I'd have a lull until I had money to get another game, so I'd reach over and pop in Deadly Towers.

This game is so stupidly, unfairly hard. A typical enemy is a bouncy ball that takes like 20 hits to kill. You can go exploring, but then you find an invisible entrance to a dungeon where the enemies fly across the screen with super speed and then knock you into another room with another group of equally tough enemies. Even if you can survive, the dungeons are huge and every room looks the same. But you have to navigate these dungeons so that you can gradually buy better equipment.

On and off for over 2 years, I would play Deadly Towers. I'd put it in, get maybe one upgrade after hours of trying, then I'd give up in frustration. But I always saved my password. Gradually, I upgraded my gear. Finally after 2+ years I finally managed to beat the game. I finally beat the game that was by far the hardest game I'd ever played. I felt such a sense of accomplishment even though the game sucks.

Fuck you Deadly Towers! I made you my bitch!

I felt that I had a sick obsession with this game just to beat it.  But anyone that would speedrun the game is on a whole another level of demented.

Bofferbrauer said:
On PC:
Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna. I dare anyone who hasn't played any game of the series to get out of the very first 2x2 room without googling it. It was so notoriously difficult that the later editions of the game came with a sealed letter to that specific puzzle, and it goes rapidly downhill from there

On Consoles:
Either Zelda II: The Adventure of Link or Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

On Handhelds:
Gargoyle's Quest

Never beat any of the mentioned games, although I didn't play much of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and I reached the last Boss before Shadow Link (but without enough magic to cast Lightning) in Zelda II

Still the same as 2 years ago, though I did beat Zelda II in the meanwhile on my old trusty GBA

Bloodborne if we count the chalice dungeons especially the cursed ones.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

I haven't played a lot of old games. I'm usually tempted to compare every game someone says is hard to Dark Souls or something. But the thing is: I can actually beat Dark Souls. I can't, however, beat Battletoads. I never got past Turbo Tunnels.

You know that thing when you uhhh...and then you...hmmm. But then you have to...umm, Yuh.

Heh, why did this get bumped?

I dare not read what I posted, it's probably something cringe worthy.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

What an old thread.

Bloodborne for me.

Ninja Gaiden 2 NES

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid