By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has 'Gaming' got better or worse since 2006-2008 era?

I don't agree things have been business as usual for Nintendo this gen in terms of fresh and high quality software. 3DS is not on the level of DS with fewer creative games, and fewer RPGs.

It's a lot worse on Wii U. Where Nintendo had an abundance of games in the Wii generation with both fresh software and traditional, Wii U has seen a sharp decline in high quality traditional style games, and freshness is non-existent in the library this generation. Mario Kart 8 is the best game on the system, but It's difficult to care much about it after playing so much Mario Kart on Wii. Mario Kart and Smash are the two top Wii U games, and that is sad.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

PC: Far better.

Consoles/handhelds: Worse, but actually I don't really care anymore about those systems, so the situation doesn't matter to me.

Worse, way, WAY fucking worse.

I'm now filled with determination.

I have loved every generation that i have been a part of. If a game is good then it does not matter to me if its a sequel or new IP. That being said new IPs and creative games are always welcome.

a LOT worse. Thank god NIntendo still exists.

Around the Network

It's been getting worse since the end of the Dreamcast,PS2,Xbox and Gamecube era.

KBG29 said:

Gaming has become much better since 20006 - 2008. The online ecosystems of PlayStation and Xbox have evolved into an amazing space for games. I prefer PlayStation, so I will speak to it. Right now we have PlayStation Plus bringing 6 new games a month to users with PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3. Then their are the digital sales, where at least once a month you can find games as low as a $1, and not just any games, many full retail titles are available for $1 - $5. 

Then we have the new network services. PlayStation Now lets you play console games anywhere, anytime, on any device. The library is already over 350 PS3 titles in less than a year. In time the library will offer PS1 and PS2 games, and the service will grow to many more devices. Remote Play takes the concept of PS Now, and brings it to a personal level. Your own PS4 streams nearly every game on the PS4 library to either a Xperia Phone or a PlaySttion Vita. With every update the feature improves, and as mobile networks advance, the experience will continue to get better. Finally there is Share Play. This feature allows you to Play games with your friends over the network, even if your friends don't own a copy. Every one of these features takes gaming places it has never been before, and adds massive value to or games and devices.

We also saw the evolution of input methods, Wii, Kinect, and PlayStation Camera + PlayStation Move set the foundation for the future of the way we play games. Through the tale end of last generation, many great motion controlled games gave us new experiences that were beyond anything we played before. Along with that Sony and Microsft offered us 3G gaming on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. Games which used PlayStation Move and 3D are still the best games I have played from an overall emersive standpoint. 

Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios was ironed out, and now is a brilliant machine which offers amazing new IP's, remasted of old games, fresh indie titles through external funding, great second party partnerships, and much more. This has resulted in a massive library of games for PS4 in just the first 18 months on the market. With every team at Sony moved on to PS4 projects the future looks very bright.

Finally, speaking of the future. We have all kinds of major projects in the works. Valve, Sony, Microsoft, Facebook, and many more are all working on VR or similar devices. These will bring new experiences that should finally top the greatness of Killzone 3 with 3D + Move or Gran Turismo in 3D + a racing wheel. The networks will continue to improve, offering more content, more places, more often. Indie developers will grow, meaning new IP's freash ideas, and a massive amount of content. Their is something for everybody, and that will only continue to expand. Gaming right now is the best it has ever been, and the future only looks better.

Agree with the part about PS Plus. Whether or not you like indies, you cant deny you're getting fantastic value out of it, something we weren't getting last gen.

I dunno if wii and move/kinect did set the foundation though, or if it diverted resources that could have been better spent elsewhere. I mean the only move game that I was truely looking forward to was kinda underwhelming (sorcery)

Sonys first party studio is doing good but not great so far. Particularly because of the safety net of the success of the ps4, they're taking their time probably, trying to make the best game they can, which in my opinion, is preferable.

POE said:

Top games sure but a low throughput this gen, I cant imagine many nintendo-only gamers are too happy with the quantity or rather choice of games.

fireburn95 said:
POE said:

Top games sure but a low throughput this gen, I cant imagine many nintendo-only gamers are too happy with the quantity or rather choice of games.

Well, im very happy. Their games keep being the best of this industry by far.

fireburn95 said:
POE said:

I'm not, the droughts are terrible. When I look at other systems, however, I see even less games I'd want to buy.