By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has 'Gaming' got better or worse since 2006-2008 era?

It's about as good. Decline in some areas have been made up for in the growth of others. Overall, I have just as much fun nowadays as I did back in 2006-2008.

Around the Network

I don't think it got worse. It's just that PS1 and PS2 era had Squaresoft (and then SE) at its best.

Too early to say. I'll just comment in a thread with a similar topic towards the end of this gen.

Worse. Less new IP's more Sequels. more yearly games more Micro transactions plus the likes of Hudson,Midway,THQ,SEGA,Konami all left or went out of business. Capcom has gone to hell. Square can't make a decent RPG to save their life. DLC is often treated terrible. Only 1 console of the 3 is truly different. 2 of them are basically the same. What made 16 bit era the best ever was the diversity between SNES,Genesis and TG16.

Indies and Nintendo and Atlus and Xseed and a few others keep me from leaving modern gaming.

kljesta64 said:
worse

instead of perfecting the gameplay mechanics from last gen and make everything more smooth and responsive they just boosted resolution and textures.

That was the problem with 7th gen. Framerates especially took a hammering as a bigger western audience cared more about polygons and lighting. RIP 60fps target :(

Personally I think things are improving again. Nintendo is back to making my style of videogames, indie has helped ressurect what were long lost genres (platformers) and okay the visuals aren't stunning, but there is a lot more 60fps stuff than there used to be.

Granted there has been a bit too much entitlement on the "audience" side but hey ho, it seems to be dying down again now.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Since we live in an era of HD remasters from 2006-2008, objectively it is much better.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Probably better for me. But then again I never really played videogames back then and I'm very much a different person from 9 years ago. So it's tough to look subjectively at these things when your views and opinions were completely different. Obviously the games now are better than back then for the most part, but there was a certain newness and whimsical joy to a number of titles which very few have been able to match this gen.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Gaming has gotten worse and worse since 3D Graphics were invented if you ask me.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Gaming has gotten a lot worse. Its more to do with the community now then games. Gamers just don't know what they want anymore. These days there too worried about specs and visuals then gameplay design. Iv seen way too many games this gen trying to be a Crysis (PC) then actually trying to be any good. Devs are seeing the pattern now and games are selling based off visuals so more and more devs are focusing on visuals and remasters then complete new ideas and innovations.

This gen there haven't been as many new and interesting experiences as games released then. At that time we got Gears Of War, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Resistance: Fall Of Man, MotorStorm all of which were new and exciting games. Now we only have either sequels that improve a bit with each iteration, or don't improve at all. New IP's come out which are good and some which are mediocre, but all of them, including the good ones, are ignored by the public in favour of annual sequels in big franchises. Its really killing creativity, innovation and polish in the industry.

Also this console wars bullshit makes it even more obnoxious. People these days would rather spit on good games because its not on their console of choice than try them.