By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has 'Gaming' got better or worse since 2006-2008 era?

Both, DLC wise worse, but game wise some have really shined, like mario kart 8, Tropical freeze, Super smash bros 4, if the next zelda is as good as ocarina of time or better than i have no complaints, so for a nintendo fan i think it has gotten better overall

Around the Network

It declined in quality and fun..
Or maybe I just got older :p

AbbathTheGrim said:

Gaming peaked with the release of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Any expectation for improvements in gaming beyond those games is unrealistic.

dragons dogma is even better

I was happy with the seventh gen. I went from being wowed by what was possible on aging hardware to disappointed by what was done on new hardware. Maybe gaming isn't for me anymore. I rarely get excited and I rarely have fun (thank God for WiiU). Hoping Batman, SF5, Tomb Raider, and a few others make me love the hobby, again.

With day one patches, DLC, and remasters the industry gotten a bit worse, but there are plenty of great games and developers and since the Uncharted series is my favorite IP off all time and I think TLOU is fantastic and deserves GOTG and beats even OOT for me. I don't think gaming is all that bad these days, it has changed somethings gotten worse, but great games are still being made and quite a lot innovative ideas passed since 2008. More and more by third party developers, whereas early consoles trusted more in exclusive games, so yeah it has gotten better.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

For PC it's better, far better.Console wise? I'd say it's about the same.

I didn't know there was 2006-2008 era? I have two fav games from that time - Hitman Blood Money and FlatOut 2. There have been no good Hitman and Flatout games since so.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

2007 alone saw the release of:

Call of Duty 4
Bioshock
God of War II
Super Mario Galaxy
Halo 3
Assassin's Creed
Uncharted
Portal
Ratchet & Clank Future: ToD
Metroid Prime 3
The Witcher
Mass Effect
Rockband

So yeah, gaming has gotten worse. Much much much worse.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Worse. Though we've had gems like Dark Souls and Journey in the recent years too.

I think some of the quality or innovation of AAA games in the past is now only found on Indies, so that's something to consider.

Gaming didn't get worse, gamers today just expect much more than 2006-2008.

People were impressed by a lot mediocrity in those days and prior which is why a lot of middling games scored better back then.

A lot of people might just be a little bored of games because they've been doing it for so god damn long. You become jaded.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)