By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has 'Gaming' got better or worse since 2006-2008 era?

Worse. I thought games were more interesting and fun then.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Worse. Still great, but some innovation is lacking. Too many shooters, not enough rpgs, not enough crazy new ips.

For nintendo gamers it's been the same overall high quality. for people who own ps and xbox machines, quality has been freefalling since the start of 7th gen.

Einsam_Delphin said:
kljesta64 said:
worse

instead of perfecting the gameplay mechanics from last gen and make everything more smooth and responsive they just boosted resolution and textures.

So... it's better then, lol.

not if its bad in the first place.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Has gaming gotten better since 2006? Well, when we got companies leaving handhelds to jump on smartphones, DLC getting out of hand, more games getting delayed, and more remasters being announced than actual games, something seems wrong. But hey, games are looking nicer, right...? (´・ω・`)I`m only joking, please don`t murder me.

Honestly, I`d say so far, it`s not that great compared to the last gen. There`s just not as exciting things coming out currently, but I figure it`ll grow into a better gen with time.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
kljesta64 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

So... it's better then, lol.

not if its bad in the first place.

Better is the the keyword here.

justicebringer said:

For nintendo gamers it's been the same overall high quality. for people who own ps and xbox machines, quality has been freefalling since the start of 7th gen.

Said the Nintendo fan with tears in his eyes as he held his WiiU in arms before it gave its last breath.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Gaming has become much better since 20006 - 2008. The online ecosystems of PlayStation and Xbox have evolved into an amazing space for games. I prefer PlayStation, so I will speak to it. Right now we have PlayStation Plus bringing 6 new games a month to users with PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3. Then their are the digital sales, where at least once a month you can find games as low as a $1, and not just any games, many full retail titles are available for $1 - $5. 

Then we have the new network services. PlayStation Now lets you play console games anywhere, anytime, on any device. The library is already over 350 PS3 titles in less than a year. In time the library will offer PS1 and PS2 games, and the service will grow to many more devices. Remote Play takes the concept of PS Now, and brings it to a personal level. Your own PS4 streams nearly every game on the PS4 library to either a Xperia Phone or a PlaySttion Vita. With every update the feature improves, and as mobile networks advance, the experience will continue to get better. Finally there is Share Play. This feature allows you to Play games with your friends over the network, even if your friends don't own a copy. Every one of these features takes gaming places it has never been before, and adds massive value to or games and devices.

We also saw the evolution of input methods, Wii, Kinect, and PlayStation Camera + PlayStation Move set the foundation for the future of the way we play games. Through the tale end of last generation, many great motion controlled games gave us new experiences that were beyond anything we played before. Along with that Sony and Microsft offered us 3G gaming on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. Games which used PlayStation Move and 3D are still the best games I have played from an overall emersive standpoint. 

Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios was ironed out, and now is a brilliant machine which offers amazing new IP's, remasted of old games, fresh indie titles through external funding, great second party partnerships, and much more. This has resulted in a massive library of games for PS4 in just the first 18 months on the market. With every team at Sony moved on to PS4 projects the future looks very bright.

Finally, speaking of the future. We have all kinds of major projects in the works. Valve, Sony, Microsoft, Facebook, and many more are all working on VR or similar devices. These will bring new experiences that should finally top the greatness of Killzone 3 with 3D + Move or Gran Turismo in 3D + a racing wheel. The networks will continue to improve, offering more content, more places, more often. Indie developers will grow, meaning new IP's freash ideas, and a massive amount of content. Their is something for everybody, and that will only continue to expand. Gaming right now is the best it has ever been, and the future only looks better.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

With your cut off being 2008
Much much better.
Super Mario galaxy 2
Uncharted 2
The list of us
Flower
Journey
Dragon age
Assassin's creed 2
Ratchet and clank a crack in time
Batman
Demons souls
Plus so many more..

That was an era? I don't even remember what games were released back then.

Mostly, though, gaming is pretty much the same. The big change has been with the quality of games from smaller studios improving by leaps and bounds. Western studios have risen, which is awesome, as some of the best new IP have come from the west, but Japanese studios had a bit of an identity crisis and their quality faltered for awhile.

There have been negatives but every era has negatives, even if some people refuse to remember them.