By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which console family will have the biggest jump in specs next gen?

Which console family will have the biggest jump in specs next gen?

Next PS console. 100 23.98%

Next XBox console. 61 14.63%

Next Nintendo console. 140 33.57%

Next Nintendo handheld. 68 16.31%

Next PS handheld. 7 1.68%

Imma kid now, Imma squid ... 41 9.83%

Total:417

I suspect that the next PlayStation console, the PS5, will have the biggest relative jump.

First, I do not think that Sony is going to release a proper Vita sucessor next generation to compete with Nexus or whatnot. The Vita has had enough trouble that it would make more sense for Sony to focus on console games and possibly some mobile stuff for other companies' hardware.

Now, the 9th gen will probably start with Nintendo. The 3DS been out for over 4 years, the Wii U has been out for a year longer than the PS4 and X1, and Nintendo would likely benefit from putting the Wii U behind them. Now, we don't know that much about the upcoming NX, but it will probably released in 2017 based on the expected mid-2016 reveal. NX is speculated to emphasize a high degree of cross-compatibility between Nintendo's handhelds and consoles, to the extent where they share many games. This would coincide with Nintendo's careful steps in this direction, like Super Smash Bros 4's dual platforms, NES Remix, Mario vs Donkey Kong, and so on.At very least, the console version of NX would need to be compatible with most handheld NX games.

Thing is, cross-compatibility implies that the console and handheld versions would need to have a lot in common, meaning the handheld could easily hold back the console. And honestly, I don't think Nintendo would mind that much. One of the Wii U's many problems has been the priced of the console, and even a couple of years later it is not that much cheaper than the competition. And because Nintendo will enter the 9th gen in 2017, it will likely be competing with the Xbox One and PS4 with significant price cuts, possibly at around $300 or so for a standard bundle. At very least, Nintendo will not want their next console to be notably more expensive than the Wii U launch price of $300 and $350. This implies a much smaller jump than the Wii U had over the Wii, though still a bigger jump than the Wii was. Nonetheless, it will still be a relatively small jump.

The NX handheld will probably receive a bigger jump from the 3DS than its console counterpart does with the Wii U, but I am not sure how dramatic this jump will be. Nintendo has generally done better when its handhelds are relatively cheap, with the 3DS launch showing how even they could mess up. Price would have to be a touch higher than preferable simply to support the same basic hardware and/or OS ans the console version, but $250 would still be the borderline barring some amazing killer app. The good news is that mobile tech has likely advanced enough so that the NX handheld can be fairly powerful despite its size and price.

After Nintendo, Xbox's 4th incarnation is the next likely new challenger. Sony will want to profit from its successful and increasingly cheap PS4, but Microsoft would wnt to replicate the phenomenon where the Xbox 360 became the standard for multiplatform titles by coming out a year earlier. I suspect the 4Box will come out in 2020, seven years after the X1. The 360 lasted a full 8 years, but Microsoft's initial troubles with the One will likely push them to release new hardware sooner, especially if they can't make a mid-genlife extension like Kinect was in 2010. This hardware leap will likely be comparable to the PS360 to PS4/X1 leap, so a moderately large one.

Sony is not going to want to retire the PS4, and could easily influence European markets enough to make the big generation leap slow down until the PS5 is ready. Japanese developers would likely still make games for it as long as they're supporting the NX. So the PS5 will likely come out in 2021 or 2022, 8 or 9 years after the PS4. I think that extra year or two will give the PS4 an edge over the X1. And technically speaking, it will be a huge jump. For scale, there was a 9 year gap between Sega's Master and Saturn consoles and a 10 year gap between the GBA and 3DS.

tl;dr: PlayStation 5 > 4box = NX Handheld > NX Console

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

I'd say Nintendo

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

zumnupy10 said:
Bofferbrauer said:

Both PS1 and PS2 where weaker than their competitors by quite some margin. Your statement is only true since PSP/PS3.

PS1 launched almost two years before N64 and so did PS2 against GC/Xbox.

Among competitors, only the OG Xbox was really "substantially" more powerful than PS consoles.  I doubt GC was more than 30% more powerful than PS2.

OP:   Probably the Next Xbox. MS will try to avoid the mistakes of 2013.

The GC had over 50% higher CPU clock (299Mhz vs 485Mhz) and graphics performance (147Mhz vs 166Mhz; 6.2 GFlops vs 10.5 GFlops). There's a reason why the Wii version of Resident Evil 4, which is converted from the PS2 version with all the additional materials, has weaker graphics than the Gamecube version

At the moment it really depends on Nintendo's strategy but it's possible it will be their home console. Having said that we might never know because we still don't have solid figures on its current power.

A safer bet is the Nintendo handheld. The 3DS is modest at best but now there is a wealth of very powerful mobile chip sets for them to choose from which should provide a very significant jump in performance.

Sega would

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network

I like that you mention that you don't ask about which console will be the most powerful which is pretty obvious and it doesn't need to read the op to understand it but some people talking like this is what you asked!
He means the biggest jump from the specs compared to the predecessor,for instance lets assume that ps5 will be the most powerful console of next gen,but if 3DS successor is a bigger enhancement from the 3DS than ps5 is from ps4 then the answer to the question of the thread is 3DS.

For sure 3DS successor,3DS is so much weak,that  it's very easy for the successor to be way more powerful!

The difference between the 3ds and its successor will be comparable to the Wii and Wii U. So obviously it. As for home consoles: I expect 8-12 Tflops for MS/Sony and 3-5 Tflops for Nintendo. So Nintendo but only by a little.

I picked the next PS handheld. It will have a massive, almost unprecedented jump. Downwards. To nil.

PS the ~51% of you who voted for a Nintendo platform are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

JS How much the hardware in the Wii U, X1 and PS4 worth in money approximately ? because we have to consider the price limits and the price reduction gap from now to the relas date of the next consoles

Since the 3DS is pretty weak I'm thinking the next Nintendo handheld is the most logical choice.