By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which console family will have the biggest jump in specs next gen?

Which console family will have the biggest jump in specs next gen?

Next PS console. 100 23.98%

Next XBox console. 61 14.63%

Next Nintendo console. 140 33.57%

Next Nintendo handheld. 68 16.31%

Next PS handheld. 7 1.68%

Imma kid now, Imma squid ... 41 9.83%

Total:417

Between PS and XB I say XB, because MS will try to beat Sony Specs wise.

Nintendo is the dark horse, but I think they dont care about specs anymore.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

Oddly enough, Nintendo!

Hold on, I'll go get my crystal ball. BRB

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

the_dengle said:

I picked the next PS handheld. It will have a massive, almost unprecedented jump. Downwards. To nil.

PS the ~51% of you who voted for a Nintendo platform are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Not really. The 3DS is somewhere between 4-6 gflops in computing power. Even if its successor was as powerful as the PS Vita (which is a conservative estimate) that is about 9.1 times more raw power than it has now. 

Unless you believe the PS5 is going to be close to 20 tflops (about four modern top of the line GPU's sli'd or crossfired) in computing power then the percent change for the 3DS is going to be much, much greater than the PS4's. 

The Wii U will probably go to an x86 architecture, so we can't really compare floating points too much, but it will probably end somewhere between 3-5 tflops, which is also about ten-times what it is now

So I can't really see how anyone is setting themselves up for dissapointment. These will likely be true statements even if Nintendo uses their prior trend of being a generation/half-a-generation behind in terms of computing power. 

Nintendo had the biggest jump this gen so i expect of them next gen to do the same.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
kljesta64 said:
Nintendo had the biggest jump this gen so i expect of them next gen to do the same.

Is the 3ds that much more powerful than the DS?

Roronaa_chan said:
kljesta64 said:

Well the ram alone is a 32X jump. From 4MB to 128MB, I believe. GPU increase should be massive too.

Roronaa_chan said:
kljesta64 said:

The original DS was slightly better and slightly worse than the N64 in certain ways. 

The 3DS is slightly better (shading) and moderately (PS2 level polygon counts and texture details; 240p) worse than the Gamecube in certain ways. 

So yeah, it was a 5th generation -> 6th generation level transition. 

sc94597 said:

The difference between the 3ds and its successor will be comparable to the Wii and Wii U. So obviously it. As for home consoles: I expect 8-12 Tflops for MS/Sony and 3-5 Tflops for Nintendo. So Nintendo but only by a little.

Yeah, 3DS is so weak that any decent SoC they pick up for next handheld will be gigantic jump.

As for your MSony expectations...I think they are just too low.

I believe MS realized that listening to Kinect/TV people was dead wrong (and hopefully fired them all) and that they should've listened to what EPIC was telling them back in 2011/2012, so I think there is slim chance they will risk to have another underpowered console (compared to Sony) next time.

If you look at 7th to 8th gen jump, Sony had 10x jump (stated by few devs), so even if we go with modest 8x, that's 15TFLOPS territory. If they decide to wait for GPUs that are capable of 4k native rendering (with similar 7th to 8th gen net jump - people keep forgetting that you need some 1.6x more proccesing power from 720 to 1080 just for pixel count, but around 3x from 1080 to 4K), or if 7nm node comes sooner than expected, then probably even more.

If Nintendo makes 5TFLOPS console that would be also massive jump from WiiU - I really hope they will go with at least that.

sc94597 said:

Not really. The 3DS is somewhere between 4-6 gflops in computing power. Even if its successor was as powerful as the PS Vita (which is a conservative estimate) that is about 9.1 times more raw power than it has now.

Vita is 9x more powerful than the New 3DS?

I expect Wii U --> successor to be a GCN --> Wii degree jump, and I doubt that's a 10x power increase.