By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Jim Sterling talks about Nintendo's abysmal handling of Amiibos

hentai_11 said:
Ouroboros24 said:
Hahaha, funny really. Any of you doubters that Nintendo is making a conscious decision to limit specific Amiibo are just not getting it. You just are not understanding what Amiibo is. Amiibo is trading cards, not software. Software you want to sell a shit load of, millions and millions of them. Amiibo is trading cards because you can find a mana card like you can find a Mario amiibo, but to get all the rare foil cards, you have to continue to go to walmart and buy booster cards(A chance to buy a rare amiibo).

You don't think Nintendo is doing it on purpose, they are...they are. And it's for the best. Certainly scalpers will get there hands on it first, but tell me, who is really upset that an issue number 1 of the Amazing Spiderman is selling for $5000? Does it suck, yes, but is it the norm, you bet your butt it is. So Jim is no longer buying amiibos, yeah right. He's like a wrestling fan, wrestling sucks now, the product is stale, but best believe they tune in every so often to watch the boring piece of shitzu. Sure, it's the first year Amiibo are out and people a bitching they can't find their favorite character, but next year a Marth Amiibo is going to be Jace, the Mind sculptor. http://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/item/129937?gclid=CO6ojejE8MUCFQaTaQodm4cApw

Everyone falls out of love with yu-gi-oh, Magic, Pokem TCG, Kaijudo, etc, those are the bandwagoners. There are bandwagoners in everything. Amiibo is a wagon everyone is hopping on to at the moment, but the reason why it will be successful in the next 5 years is because it is trading cards. It's a platform that survives by being rare. Get over it. If you want a Marth, fork over the extra dough. If you want a Mercedes, fork over the extra dough. That's life.

Your comparison doesn't make sense. If you buy a booster pack, than the card producing company gets your money. If you go in the store and don't find the amiibo you seek, than nintendo doesn't make any money. If you fork over the extra cash and buy it from the scalper than nintendo still only gets the normal price, which the scalper paid.

I doubt Nintendo does it on purpose.

You miss the point.  Every amiibo that's on the shelf is going to be gone.  Even the Mario, Peach, yoshi, Luigi, Zelda, each one of them gone.  That's because those amiibo are the default, the entry level amiibo, the amiibo that nintendo wants the customer to buy.  Other amiibo like Marth, Pit, Ness, even in low quantity, will sell out as soon as they're on the shelf.  It's the scarcity that Nintendo is selling, the scarcity that drives the Amiibo fad, the scarcity that will make them last for more than a year.  No, it's not a perfect analogy, but it does make sense that TCG and amiibo are overlapping in business strategy. 

So you're telling me that Nintendo can't make even enough Marth amiibo to where they're seen in the wild?  Marth, just one character, first wave as of november 2014, more than 6 months since release.  Even production to where Marth is as readily available as Yoshi or Peach.  Not one single character that they know are in high demand is readily available?  Not after all the outcry and venom about nintendo not making enough, criticism from every gaming outlet, even local news and casual news.  You're telling me that nintendo isn't doing this on purpose?  Maybe.

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:

Imagine a world where Nintendo gets their act together, and every amiibo becomes readily avaliable, with characters like Ness and Captain Falcon being as common as Pikachu.

Only in our dreams.

Am I the only one who understands supply and demand here?

cfin2987@gmail.com said:
Ultrashroomz said:

Imagine a world where Nintendo gets their act together, and every amiibo becomes readily avaliable, with characters like Ness and Captain Falcon being as common as Pikachu.

Only in our dreams.

Am I the only one who understands supply and demand here?

Nintendo doesn't understand, that's for sure.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

mysteryman said:
Though the scarcity of Amiibo has been bad, it seems a weird time to be complaining about it, when they're the most stocked they've ever been (at least in Australia).

The FE characters have been restocked for codename steam. The latest few Amiibo including the inkling triple pack are still in stores. Target's even restocking Little Mac, Villager, WFT and Captain Falcon; some of the "Raraest" little buggers to find.

Still waiting on Amiibo cards which will fix this probloem completely for those that just want the Amiibo content. It really shouldn't be difficult to pump these ones out.

Yeah I picked up a bunch of amiibos I missed recently  and the more recent waves are still available for preorde,  or in stock, at the moment. Nintendo has in fact stepped their game up for amiibos. 

I think their biggest problem was trying to make too many different characters at once. They can't have their factories still producing Marth amiibos when there are Splatoon and the next wave smash amiibos to get out there. Nintendo underestimated demand and scalpers then realised they can profit of this so even with increased supply, they just buy more 

SpokenTruth said:
outlawauron said:

You could argue that months ago. Not now whenever production has no real signs of increasing and they're resorting to random windows of availability to launch the next waves of amiibos, while also stopping very highly demanded ones in current production.

So you think they had plans in motion only prior to launch?  Each wave had a planned production run based on initial retailer demand  You can't call up the production company, scrap all your orignal contract obligations, reorganize every wave, every character for every region...and adjust accordingly.  At least not without major expenses that could easily end up negating the profits gained from the increased sales.

Let me ask, do any of us have any idea what the production capacity of the production company is?  How many different characters can they develop simultanesouly?  How many distribution channels do they have regionally?  Globally?  Say they ramp up production somehow, can the distribution channel handle the increased load?

Seriously, if it were so damn simple as flipping a production switch, they'd have done it by now.  But of course, Nintendo is wholly at fault.  There are no logistics or production or business issues to consider.  That's to real world for people to give a damn about  Let's just finger point a target and play the blame game because it's easier.  

If you truly think that their vendor wouldn't accomodate more orders, then you're crazy. If their current vendor is unable to do it all in-house, it would be partially outsourced like all 3rd party vendors.

It's already been shown that Nintendo lags far behind the less popular Skylanders series in terms of production, so I don't think you can target the incapability to produce more.

It's always more than flipping a switch, but you expect a lot more out a billion dollar company. It's to the point where they're embracing the situation and the heightened demand partially attributed to the low supply. It's a very common tactic, and I don't see why anyone would defend it as anything otherwise (unless you truly just believe it's  just incomptence).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

It's a very common tactic, and I don't see why anyone would defend it as anything otherwise (unless you truly just believe it's  just incompetence).

Weeeeellllll... Let's be fair, it is Nintendo...

That ending was classic

noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:

It's a very common tactic, and I don't see why anyone would defend it as anything otherwise (unless you truly just believe it's  just incompetence).

I don't think it's the case. I think they're just being safe about it after their trouble with shipments earlier this generation.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

twintail said:
Release the content as DLC to be bought of the eShop.

Problem.
Solved.

Release the card versions of amiibo, in one pack. Problem solved too.

outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:

I don't think it's the case. I think they're just being safe about it after their trouble with shipments earlier this generation.

PohTayToe...