By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Jim Sterling talks about Nintendo's abysmal handling of Amiibos

This is on retailers and the internet. Nintendo gets so much hate thay no one believes there is demand for any amiibo.

Retailers don't order them in droves, Nintendo doest manufacture them. I see lots of unsold mario/luigi/samus/link in my local mediamarkt. Whats different? Popular characters, so retailers order a bunch of them. Fire emblem character? New IP characters? They probably don't take the risk.
Its a case of misevaluated demand. A mistake retailers make all the time and seems solely based on how much hype there is for something in the internet before launch. Quite ridiculous.

Around the Network

Hahaha, funny really. Any of you doubters that Nintendo is making a conscious decision to limit specific Amiibo are just not getting it. You just are not understanding what Amiibo is. Amiibo is trading cards, not software. Software you want to sell a shit load of, millions and millions of them. Amiibo is trading cards because you can find a mana card like you can find a Mario amiibo, but to get all the rare foil cards, you have to continue to go to walmart and buy booster cards(A chance to buy a rare amiibo).

You don't think Nintendo is doing it on purpose, they are...they are. And it's for the best. Certainly scalpers will get there hands on it first, but tell me, who is really upset that an issue number 1 of the Amazing Spiderman is selling for $5000? Does it suck, yes, but is it the norm, you bet your butt it is. So Jim is no longer buying amiibos, yeah right. He's like a wrestling fan, wrestling sucks now, the product is stale, but best believe they tune in every so often to watch the boring piece of shitzu. Sure, it's the first year Amiibo are out and people a bitching they can't find their favorite character, but next year a Marth Amiibo is going to be Jace, the Mind sculptor. http://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/item/129937?gclid=CO6ojejE8MUCFQaTaQodm4cApw

Everyone falls out of love with yu-gi-oh, Magic, Pokem TCG, Kaijudo, etc, those are the bandwagoners. There are bandwagoners in everything. Amiibo is a wagon everyone is hopping on to at the moment, but the reason why it will be successful in the next 5 years is because it is trading cards. It's a platform that survives by being rare. Get over it. If you want a Marth, fork over the extra dough. If you want a Mercedes, fork over the extra dough. That's life.

i really dont understand amibo's. people lining up in line for a plastic toy? really. i dont get this hype or this nonesense, and still nintendo manages to screw over its customers.

Ouroboros24 said:

You don't think Nintendo is doing it on purpose, they are...they are. And it's for the best. Certainly scalpers will get there hands on it first, but tell me, who is really upset that an issue number 1 of the Amazing Spiderman is selling for $5000? Does it suck, yes, but is it the norm, you bet your butt it is. So Jim is no longer buying amiibos, yeah right. He's like a wrestling fan, wrestling sucks now, the product is stale, but best believe they tune in every so often to watch the boring piece of shitzu. Sure, it's the first year Amiibo are out and people a bitching they can't find their favorite character, but next year a Marth Amiibo is going to be Jace, the Mind sculptor. http://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/item/129937?gclid=CO6ojejE8MUCFQaTaQodm4cApw

did you just call jiu jitsu "shitzu"?

Fusioncode said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-orx_HTfE

I was surprised there wasn't a thread about this already. A lot of his complaints are pretty accurate. 

I wasnt surprised at all based on the subject matter XD.

Im not into collectables in general so I would never buy amiibo or anything similar. However, I do think the scarcity is delibberate an attempt to increase hype and perceived value.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Ouroboros24 said:

did you just call jiu jitsu "shitzu"?

No, too much cursing is too much cursing.  I wanted to limit my curse per post.

Ouroboros24 said:
Hahaha, funny really. Any of you doubters that Nintendo is making a conscious decision to limit specific Amiibo are just not getting it. You just are not understanding what Amiibo is. Amiibo is trading cards, not software. Software you want to sell a shit load of, millions and millions of them. Amiibo is trading cards because you can find a mana card like you can find a Mario amiibo, but to get all the rare foil cards, you have to continue to go to walmart and buy booster cards(A chance to buy a rare amiibo).

Everyone falls out of love with yu-gi-oh, Magic, Pokem TCG, Kaijudo, etc, those are the bandwagoners. There are bandwagoners in everything. Amiibo is a wagon everyone is hopping on to at the moment, but the reason why it will be successful in the next 5 years is because it is trading cards. It's a platform that survives by being rare. Get over it. If you want a Marth, fork over the extra dough. If you want a Mercedes, fork over the extra dough. That's life.

Your comparison doesn't make sense. If you buy a booster pack, than the card producing company gets your money. If you go in the store and don't find the amiibo you seek, than nintendo doesn't make any money. If you fork over the extra cash and buy it from the scalper than nintendo still only gets the normal price, which the scalper paid.

I doubt Nintendo does it on purpose.

Yeah saw this earlier, can't say it's a major surprise about the content either. But this topic has been done to death in the past week or so, perhaps that's a good thing because the more complaints the more likely Nintendo is to actually do something. But right now, yeah. It's just not good enough Nintendo.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

It seems especially bad that DLC is being exclusively tagged to Amiibos that are not readily available. Nintendo trying to make collectors items out of things that are meant to have actual game functionality is just a terrible concept. Make collectors items by making special editions of certain Amiibos, like golden or crystal versions. But the plain coloured plastic versions of each Amiibo should be common as muck and be produced in the millions.

Taking a great idea and turning the market against them.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Nem said:
This is on retailers and the internet. Nintendo gets so much hate thay no one believes there is demand for any amiibo.

Retailers don't order them in droves, Nintendo doest manufacture them. I see lots of unsold mario/luigi/samus/link in my local mediamarkt. Whats different? Popular characters, so retailers order a bunch of them. Fire emblem character? New IP characters? They probably don't take the risk.
Its a case of misevaluated demand. A mistake retailers make all the time and seems solely based on how much hype there is for something in the internet before launch. Quite ridiculous.

Same problem here in my local Cactus store, just remove Samus and add Peach, Toad, Donkey Kong and Zelda to the overstocked amiibos. When I bought Splatoon there where no Inkling amiibos around so I asked them if they have other amiibos in stock somewhere. All I got was an incredulous look and the surprised question: "There are other ones?"

At least I managed to get Splatoon bundled with the Squid amiibo (second to last copy, even)...