By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Jim Sterling talks about Nintendo's abysmal handling of Amiibos

shikamaru317 said:
I think the main problem is that they're purposefully making them rare. Nintendo doesn't make money from rare Amiibo's, resellers do.

It doesn't make any sense for them to purposefully make them rare, if resellers profit more from the sales than Nintendo themselves. Nintendo would take that profit all to themselves if they fixed their supply issues.

Around the Network

I have yet to be tempted by a single amiibo, doubt that's going to change any time soon, "missing out on dlc" or not.

RolStoppable said:
There probably wasn't a thread because it's not exactly news that the distribution of amiibos is too limited.

The distribution seems to be fine, it's the variety that seems to be the issue. And then only an issue in the US: no one else really seems to care about the things.

Augen said:
Same feeling. I wanted some, but not enough to wait in line or pay 3x to a scalper.

As much as I agree that their demand goals are pretty slow to meet with, I find scalpers to be the worst problem with this and other products, those guys snatch up at low and sell for high which fucks things up for both us and Nintendo, people buying N3DS's, melting them and selling them for double the price and some stupid sucker would still buy it, scalpers just prey on the weak minded and it works so well for them that more and more snatch up the products we want and sell for high and no one is dealing with them directly, they are definitely a problem in the industry.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

The coment section of that video is already making drama and calling Nintendo evil, lol.

They don´t do enough plastic toys !!! Worse than EA! Burn them!

Honestly I feel close to 0 interest to amiibo, I like some of thems because they have some cool designs, but pfff is nothing really related to gaming to me. Nintendo is doing it wrong at this point, fans have a reason to feel fustrated but... they are still plastic toys with little to no interesting content on them.

Also he is complaining about the most easy to find amiibo right now... But he is overall very spot on, as always, I mean, is Jim F*king Sterling, thanks God for him.

Around the Network

Nintendo really should fix this problem. There is a high demand and interest in getting them, and Ninten really should try to meet that demand. Whether it hypes them or not, Ninten is missing out on extra profits that the scalpers are taking from them. Currently, I think it`s only harming them.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Given that I recall plenty of people here at VGchartz predicting that amiibo would be a bust for Nintendo and they certainly weren't alone, it's no surprise to me that Nintendo was not prepared for the demand.

When you consider that retailers have very limited shelf space and Nintendo is trying to cycle through dozens of amiibo, one would simply expect them to under produce. Then, of course, one must wonder just how capable they are of pumping out vast quantities of multiple amiibo simultaneously... hopefully they've improved since amiibos took off, but it's not something you can change for the better drastically over night.

My hope is that they begin producing a great many more than are ever intended to be sold in retail outlets and instead emphasize selling and shipping directly online. Just keep them in warehouses, but don't over-produce to the point that they saturate the market... basically just adopt Magic: The Gathering's recent approach for the latter problem.

Activision sold 175 million Skylanders in 2½ years making their average production volume more than 6 millions a month.
Nintendo sold +10,5 million amiibos since november 2014 making their average production volume less than 2 millions a month.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2014/07/03/activision-confident-with-skylanders-franchise-despite-tough-competition/

I don't understand grown men wanting to collect toy figures. I'ts cool if you do. My best friend is 21 and does. I own a Wii-U, and I love Nintendo, but I have no desire to own plastic figures.

Good video. And yeah the whole situation is a joke. I have a few Amiibo and they look cool, but as far as going through the hell of buying these new ones, forget it. Definitely not worth the hassle or cost.