By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Zelda Console games take 5 years to develop.... ?

PwerlvlAmy said:
id rather they take lke 4-5 years to make the game quality rather than fart one out every 2 years and rush it

Yes , As would I . I never said for Nintendo to rush it in 2 years, I suggested if Nintendo could do the same amount of development hours, in a shorter time frame . So in essence , the game that took 4 years is the same quality as the 5 year one.

Around the Network
JNK said:
Mythmaker1 said:

That doesn't strike me as a particularly apt comparison. In terms of sheer scale, these games are very different animals. And Zelda dungeons are, with very few exceptions, not exactly complex, or even particularly deep; they aren't bad, but they're pretty simple overall.

its not only world size.

All the things you can do in zelda . Example Skyward sword:

Flying, swimming, diving, diging unter the earth, driving boat, driving minekart and much more.Thats compareable to an gta (where you can fly, swim, etc).Annual games in general doesnt have this freedom.

Not even close. I've played quite a bit of Skyward Sword, and the breadth and depths of mechanics is paltry. 

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

TheFallen said:

Is it a question of resources Nintendo allocates? Yes, I know they've developed DS and 3DS Zelda games since ( Rockstar made GTA IV plus dlc , Red Dead Redemption AND GTA V in the same time frame between the last Zelda and the next one) I'm obviously not asking for Nintendo to UBISOFT i.e. annualize the series , I would just prefer to have a new main entry ever 3 years , as opposed to 5 years. Can anybody shed some light?

Rockstar has a bunch of studios developing these games.  For example,  Rockstar North makes GTA, Rockstar San Deigo made Red Dead, and I think (not sure) that a different studio owned by Rockstar made the GTA DLC.  I think there is only one zelda studio...  I would really like that to change though...

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

Because other than the title and core mechanics and gameplay, each game is a completely new game. It's not just call of duty copy pasted with a new alleyway and 3 new gun skins every 6 months.

Mythmaker1 said:
JNK said:

its not only world size.

All the things you can do in zelda . Example Skyward sword:

Flying, swimming, diving, diging unter the earth, driving boat, driving minekart and much more.Thats compareable to an gta (where you can fly, swim, etc).Annual games in general doesnt have this freedom.

Not even close. I've played quite a bit of Skyward Sword, and the breadth and depths of mechanics is paltry. 

ive played ss and gta v and both games are on a same level in size and co. dunno what ur talking about.

i need about 40 hours for both to complete. both had same diversion and co.

Around the Network

This is the same company that plans on making 5 mobile-games in 2 years, an amount another mobile-developer puke out in two days

Reusing the same engine for a few games isn't a big deal. It would release Zelda titles more consistently, cost less, and that way if we don't like a particular zelda game (like Skyward Sword), we don't have to wait another 5 years to find out if we will like the next one.

1doesnotsimply

I guess they take their time trying to make the best game possible, at least wkith most of them.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

exdeath said:
Because other than the title and core mechanics and gameplay, each game is a completely new game. It's not just call of duty copy pasted with a new alleyway and 3 new gun skins every 6 months.

pretty much this ^

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Mythmaker1 said:

Because each Zelda is built, more or less, from scratch. New assets, new art-style, new controls, new engines, and so on. That takes a lot of time.

Many sequels these days are built using similar engines or recycled assets in order to save costs and time.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."