USA vs. Australia 3-1
Japan vs. Switzerland 2-0

Around the Network

Sweden 3-0 Nigeria
Cameroon 1-1 Ecuador
USA 2-1 Australia
Japan 2-0 Switzerland

Norwegians and their invisible phones.

I just watched the 2nd half of SWE-NGA. Was 2-0 at half-time, ended 3-3.

Best match so far. Nigeria played excellent in the 2nd half.

US football legend Mia Hamm twittered: "Game on, Nigeria! This is a fun team to watch . Confident, composed, and skillful. Great for the game."

I agree.

... I don't even know where to find todays results... My favorite site only displays when the dutch plays... Not even a score sheet for the other matches.. -_-"

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Did the U.S. win?

They play right now, 1-1 after 28 minutes. 

NiKKoM said:
... I don't even know where to find todays results... My favorite site only displays when the dutch plays... Not even a score sheet for the other matches.. -_-"

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/matches/

Over here 5 million people watched the first game of the German team yesterday. I can't say that women's football is actually popular in Germany (the 2014/15 season of the Frauen-Bundesliga had an average attendance of around 1000 people, which is a measly increase of 800 people from its foundation year 1990), but the national team gets quite some media attention and slowly gained popularity over the past two decades. As always, popularity comes with success.

Holland is one of the Euro countries which - to my surprise - hasn't supported women's football in the past the way they could. So,it's no wonder that the Dutch media don't really cover the world cup.

France as a counter-example is now quickly catching up to the big three in Europe GER/NOR/SWE. I read somewhere that France established a few years ago the most professional scouting system for female football players in Europe. Meanwhile Olympique Lyon has won the women's Champions League twice, PSG was in the CL final this year (lost to FFC Frankfurt), some top players from GER and Scandinavia play in the French league, their national team will play a bigger role in the future (I think they are already better than e.g. Sweden, especially after today).

NED vs. FRA women's national teams ranking comparison:

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/associations/association=ned/women/index.html

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/associations/association=fra/women/index.html

That's one of the main reasons I'm interested in women's football: In men's football pretty much everything is cemented and organized from top of the clubs/national teams down to the youth and scouting. In women's football over the years you can follow the development from amateur status of clubs/countries to professionalism. And some day they won't be dependent anymore on monetary decisions solely made by men.

Meanwhile: USA-AUS 1:1; Good game so far; Hope looks hot, even when she's pissed.

*sigh*

Well then.

Not sure if the 5 million viewers really come from people interested in it or if it's just the same 5 million viewers who watch that channel every evening regardless of what's running^^ There are so many who simply watch ARD or ZDF and nothing else every evening

Would be interesting to see what happens if they would show the next game on Sport1 or something, I guess views would drop like a stone.

I'm obviously exaggerating but still...

I learned Cameroon is good or Ecuador is bad. New little about either before this match.