By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are You More Into Niche or Popular Games?

Do you tend to prefer niche or popular games?

Popular! 36 38.71%

Niche! 57 61.29%

Total:93

Mostly Niche games nowadays, as very few games outside of Indie games and Nintendo really interest me.

My favorite game genres are Turn-based stategy games like Battle Isle and Panzer General, but games like these are basically nowhere to be seen nowadays. (Turn-based tactics are well alive, but just not the same and I like them much less)

I also love western RPGs with a party and turn-based combat (or at least real-time with pause) like the Might & Magic series and Wizardry 6-8 (the Dark Savant Trilogy). Not very much to be found in this genre either

I love old-style shooters with lots of (whacky) guns, health and armor pickups, giant mooks, an so on. Games like the early Duke Nukem, Doom and Serious Sam, but I have no interest in those shooters made nowadays without these features. Splatoon is the first Shooter in over a decade which really caught my interest.

I loved spaceshooters, but pretty much all of them nowadays are bullet hell, which I don't like.

I love more whacky racing games with some kind of weaponry like Extreme-G, but apart from Mario Kart there are basically no other games in that genre anymore.

I also like Visual Novels, but good luck getting them to the west.

Long story short, most genres I love are dead in the eyes of the major publishers and even indie games rarely go into these genres. Which results in me mostly playing retrogames on PC (over 200 game entries on my shelf on GOG.com) and some games on Wii U. There was literally not a single game on Xbox ONE or PS4 yet which caught my interest whatsoever yet, and the same happened in the previous generation already with the PS360.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Maybe I worded the thread wrong. People are getting too preachy here XD I knew it would happen I guess what I meant was in terms of overall games you tend to play, are the majority niche or popular?

Eh, doesn't matter now, once I read the first few preachy comments I know it's time to abandon thread v.v I must!

You could of changed the OP.....

I'm more into good games :P

Can be popular, can be pretty niche, but I don't think there's a game series that I love that's ultra niche.

I prefer popular games. My favorites are GTA, Tomb Raider, Far Cry, Borderlands and Resident Evil.

Niche games are just too....niche for me. Too difficult, too obscure, too Japanese...whatever. I can play one every once in a while, but will always choose a popular AAA game first.

Any, but popular games are generally bad, so niche gets the win.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
Maybe I worded the thread wrong. People are getting too preachy here XD I knew it would happen I guess what I meant was in terms of overall games you tend to play, are the majority niche or popular?

Eh, doesn't matter now, once I read the first few preachy comments I know it's time to abandon thread v.v I must!

You can't leave. It is your own thread after all.... >: D

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

More into popular. I like niche when it's done good.

i liked popular games and genres but now thinks are changing, not because i like other stuff, the mainstream has changed and i dont like the IN games of today, they are made for casuals, not for gamer.

I hate hipsters so umm... popular games I guess.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I dont think the niche market gets enough attention as it is frankly games companies who market themselves outward should think to word and show their communications in such a way that it doesnt alienate any audience before they even try it. When it comes down to it we all can relate to most things, just that we are wary to go outside our comfort zone.

For anyone interested btw, Konami is having weekly Suikoden stream to measure and potentially save the Suikoden series by showing that people still care about it. If enough people join in and discuss it they may release the games on Steam, make sequals etc.

So please join in at http://www.twitch.tv/konami 3:30 PM Pacific time every weekday and discuss the series or just discover it if you're curious.