By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are You More Into Niche or Popular Games?

Do you tend to prefer niche or popular games?

Popular! 36 38.71%

Niche! 57 61.29%

Total:93

Both, but I have found over last twenty years what I like has become niche. JRPGs in late 90s were fairly popular, now they are very niche, same with plat formers. Shooters weren't big on consoles in the 90s (well, Goldeneye...) but now have become a major genre. Never really let tastes get caught up with what people are buying.

Around the Network

Popular games. I've never really liked niche games, and now I've become more of a casual gamer and mainly just play online multiplayer games like Halo, COD,  and Mario Kart.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

RolStoppable said:
I am into popular niche games. Or in one word: Nintendo.

I also find paradoxes to be great as well. 

I'm into a bit of both, popular games like Planetside 2 and niche games like planetary Annihilation, hell most RTS games these days are niche since the genre is practically dead and nowhere near as popular today as shooters and RPG's.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I'm all for Niche. Well...Japanese Niche anyway. Well...it's hard to explain. Games like Dragon Quest or Y's are considered Niche in the US but in Japan they're popular games. So as a westerner, I like whatever isn't western I guess. I blame Nintendo.

Around the Network

Depends. Is Nintendo niche or popular? I'd say it's right in between.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Popular for me because I enjoy those kinds of games while I don't have an interest in JRPG's.

Proud to be a Californian.

I never choose a game because it's niche or popular. I just play the games that interest me. I play a mix of both.

d21lewis said:
I just like what I like. Sometimes it's a blockbuster. Other times, it feels like I'm the only one in the world that plays certain games.

This.  I'm just like this.

I'll play any game that looks fun, regardless of whether it's popular or niche.

That said, popular or mainstream titles have a tendency to be abused/milked/creatively stifled by publishers requiring big returns, so I'd lean slightly towards niche.