By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are You More Into Niche or Popular Games?

Do you tend to prefer niche or popular games?

Popular! 36 38.71%

Niche! 57 61.29%

Total:93

That's not really a factor I've ever thought about when playing or liking a game. Don't really care either way. I'm not a hipster who hates COD and glorifies indies as the second coming of christ, but I'm also not a mainstreamer who only plays AAA games and scoffs at smaller titles.

I'm a cynic who hates everything and thinks the gaming industry is doomed on all fronts. :D

Around the Network

I'll take a low budget title like Nier or Drakengard 3 over the Call of Duties of the world every time.

Both types.

I don't really prefer one of the other I just play it if its fun I don't care how popular it is

I'd say half and half for me. I like trying the niche games and seeing if I'll find a gem. And I often do. But then, I love my FIFA and shooters and Zelda and all the popular stuff, too. I guess if I had to pick, I'd say popular?

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Around the Network

More niche games are more enjoyable imo. They make the game that they want to, they don't try and cater to eveything everyone wants.

At the same time, most indie games are considered niche, and most indie games suck.

So.... Both.

depends on what you define as niche or popular.

if niche would be everything that's below 1m sales, I would say that I prefer popular games.

if popular would be everything that's above 5m, I would say that I prefer niche games.

I prefer good games. Wether they are popular or niche is irrelevant for me. I dont require all my friends to be playing and talking about the same game.

I have a thing for RPG's basically. They can be western or japanese. Niche or popular.

If by popular you mean all the FPS', then no. I loathe the genre.

I like games that have a very good reputation but dont sell that much. Examples are:

Child of Light
Bayonetta 2
Oboro Muramasa
Red Steel 2
Endless Ocean
Xenoblade C

And then I like blockbuster Nintendo games.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Maybe I worded the thread wrong. People are getting too preachy here XD I knew it would happen I guess what I meant was in terms of overall games you tend to play, are the majority niche or popular?

Eh, doesn't matter now, once I read the first few preachy comments I know it's time to abandon thread v.v I must!