By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I was wrong about 8th gen.

I think 8th Gen graphics are:

Mind-blowing! 24 5.70%

clearly better than 7th gen. 151 35.87%

not a big jump, the systems need more power. 165 39.19%

diminishing returns. 54 12.83%

making me miss 8-bit! 26 6.18%

Total:420

Slightly better than last gen, not really all that blown away and I thought this gen was going to make porting easier but really it didn't and things went all kinds of ham from then on, I haven't even bought a current gen system yet due to pricing, non interesting games and remasters up the arse.

I liked last gen in terms of performance and games, this gen I can't really say apart from a few games but that's really it.

Hopefully this gen will be short because I really want next gen to be a leap of sorts and really blow me away.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

You cannot judge the graphical power in a console generation until Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica have released their last games for it.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Augen said:
It is certain things, like the detail in draw distance and facial animation in Infamous really stood out from anything I saw before. I get people not seeing the massive jump like PS1 to PS2, but there is definitely an improvement and plenty of time for games to look even better this generation.

just to be accurate, there is a bigger difference technically between the PS1 and PS2 than the PS3 and the PS4 ...... just saying, whether its more noticed to the eye or not is debatable 

Natsu said:

Well there is the wii to wii u and DS to 3ds :P 

it's an even smaller jump than that.

Natsu said:
JNK said:
smallest jump in console history

Those jumps were fairly big, actually.

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
Natsu said:

Those jumps were fairly big, actually.

^This

Games does look noticeably better, but it is not the jump we saw from PS1 - PS2 - PS3. So far, the most impressive-looking game I've seen in terms of art style is a 2D metroidvania game (Ori) :).

Now wait until you see PS4 graphics!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

From what I've seen, I agree. When I saw Driveclub, my jaw hit the floor. The polish is incredible and definitely photo-realistic.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Zappykins said:

Ah, thanks I was going to ask about the Skies in Witcher 3.  I remember the epic ones in Red Dead and Skyrim (and even Twilight Princess was an improvement.)

Yea, I was thinking how 5th gen gives you some 3D, 6th gen add you trees and such, 7th gen grasses and shrubs with those tress, then 8th gen you get the texture on the bark of the trees, and little critters going to the flowers, in addition to an extra flush of everything - the wind blows and move like you said.

Anyone who thinks this is a tiny leap doesn't remember generations 2-5.  Plus we are at the begging of the gen - look at early last gen games compared to the ones they have now.  That looks like a whole gen in itself.

It’s also something that once you have lived with one for a while it really hits you when you go back.  Even a simple game like ‘Max and the Curse of the Brotherhood.'  It is so smooth.

Agreed. I think a lot of people see the past through rose tinted glasses. Comparing apples to apples, open world RPGs, HD playthroughs of the start of the games on the actual systems (spoilers duh)

Oblivion on ps3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjG2JmoVB_U

Skyrim on ps3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6KMvDsEyNg

The witcher 3 on ps4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_iBHLpI-c8

I don't think that's a tiny leap, and the leap from Skyrim to Wicher is far bigger than Oblivion to Skyrim.