By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I was wrong about 8th gen.

I think 8th Gen graphics are:

Mind-blowing! 24 5.70%

clearly better than 7th gen. 151 35.87%

not a big jump, the systems need more power. 165 39.19%

diminishing returns. 54 12.83%

making me miss 8-bit! 26 6.18%

Total:420
MohammadBadir said:
Natsu said:

Well there is the wii to wii u and DS to 3ds :P 

Those jumps were fairly big, actually.

Thats what I was trying to say :P

Around the Network

need more unreal engine

Augen said:
It is certain things, like the detail in draw distance and facial animation in Infamous really stood out from anything I saw before. I get people not seeing the massive jump like PS1 to PS2, but there is definitely an improvement and plenty of time for games to look even better this generation.

If I remember correctly David Cage said that this gen biggest leap would be in terms facial animation at the ps4 announcement e3. As much as i hate the guy, i would love to see that and devs sure worked on it early in the gen (even on Fifa for example)

SvennoJ said:

Agreed. I think a lot of people see the past through rose tinted glasses. Comparing apples to apples, open world RPGs, HD playthroughs of the start of the games on the actual systems (spoilers duh)

Oblivion on ps3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjG2JmoVB_U

Skyrim on ps3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6KMvDsEyNg

The witcher 3 on ps4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_iBHLpI-c8

I don't think that's a tiny leap, and the leap from Skyrim to Wicher is far bigger than Oblivion to Skyrim.

While that screenshot is from the PC version of The Witcher 3, I have no doubt that games will eventually end up looking like that (at 30fps) on the PS4. Driveclub and the Order are also huge highlights as to what the system can achieve. The XBox One is no slouch either, I expect Halo 5 and Tomb Raider to look very good. The leap isn't "tiny" at all. I think the "diminishing returns" argument is overrated because you can easily see and feel the difference once you go back to 7th gen consoles and 7th gen ports (even on PC).

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Eandia said:
This generation of game consoles has never had it this easy impressing people to buy their consoles when there are so few killer IP games. Everything is either a port of older games or just a graphical showcase, The consoles have been out for almost 2 years now and the PS4 is only 'beginning' to get some killer games.
The Super nintendo is a great comparison, at launch it had Super mario world and F-zero which set new gameplay and graphic standards at the time, and after that classics just kept coming in. The Xbox 360 has only the FPS crowd but the PS4 has no reason to be this popular except for its techical capabilities, its games are JUST appearing and that shouldnt be the case with a console thats sold this much.

Super Nintendo is probably unrivaled in graphical jump, innovation, content and quality.  By Christmas post-launch you had SMW, F-Zero, Castlevania 4 and FF4, among other epic titles.  Nothing else compares.  But One and 4 have great content.  The only problem is many early games have also been available on last gen, but that doesn't make the current gen lacking in great titles, only exclusive ones.  But when you're playing a game and you have this staring back at you, you have to be impressed, visually:

Around the Network

Obviously there is a noticeable difference, but there's also diminishing returns for sure. I'd say the graphical jump this generation is business as usual.

JNK said:

Wii to Wii U:

Ps3 vs Ps4:

This is a joke, yeah? ^^ I refuse to believe that anyone could post something like this and be entirely serious.

Zekkyou said:

This is a joke, yeah? ^^ I refuse to believe that anyone could post something like this and be entirely serious.

no joke or fake but the truth im sorry. 2 remastered versions of an last gen game/track.

You're right, but if you base this on a cross-gen game like COD: AW, you'll be surprised even more when you play a current-gen exclusive, especially Driveclub.

It benefits PC gamers too, which is great.

needs more power