By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I was wrong about 8th gen.

I think 8th Gen graphics are:

Mind-blowing! 24 5.70%

clearly better than 7th gen. 151 35.87%

not a big jump, the systems need more power. 165 39.19%

diminishing returns. 54 12.83%

making me miss 8-bit! 26 6.18%

Total:420
bigtakilla said:
MohammadBadir said:

Those jumps were fairly big, actually.

^This

Maybe he meant GC to Wii?

Around the Network

Well I've only got crossgen games like gta5 and shadow of mirror and neither off those impressed me much. I'm still waiting for a killer 8th gen game to get I suppose. Maybe Mgs5

Platina said:
I like 8th gen... since I have Nintendo consoles, it was a pretty big jump for them for Wii to Wii U as well as DS to 3DS

This. For Nintendo gamers, Wii to Wii U is like WHOA! :D Mario Kart 8 is still the best-looking game I've ever played. And so far, only Xenoblade Chronicles X, Yoshi's Woolly World, or Zelda U have a chance of topping it as far as I can tell. 

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

It's certainly a big leap, but nothing mind-blowing like in previous generations. But no one can be blamed for that.

Diminishing Returns is the issue. Even if you multiply a console's power by 10 with each generation, the improvements will still become less noticeable with each passing generation.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

after playing The Order even some 8th gen games look bad to me. so yeah, going back to 7th gen there is a HUGE leap.

Around the Network

I wont say its a huge leap, but its definitly nice to see things running better. Just wish they focused more on 60fps.

This generation of game consoles has never had it this easy impressing people to buy their consoles when there are so few killer IP games. Everything is either a port of older games or just a graphical showcase, The consoles have been out for almost 2 years now and the PS4 is only 'beginning' to get some killer games.
The Super nintendo is a great comparison, at launch it had Super mario world and F-zero which set new gameplay and graphic standards at the time, and after that classics just kept coming in. The Xbox 360 has only the FPS crowd but the PS4 has no reason to be this popular except for its techical capabilities, its games are JUST appearing and that shouldnt be the case with a console thats sold this much.

Natsu said:
JNK said:
smallest jump in console history

Well there is the wii to wii u and DS to 3ds :P 

Wii to Wii U:

Ps3 vs Ps4:

mountaindewslave said:
Augen said:
It is certain things, like the detail in draw distance and facial animation in Infamous really stood out from anything I saw before. I get people not seeing the massive jump like PS1 to PS2, but there is definitely an improvement and plenty of time for games to look even better this generation.

just to be accurate, there is a bigger difference technically between the PS1 and PS2 than the PS3 and the PS4 ...... just saying, whether its more noticed to the eye or not is debatable 

Yes, that is what I said, thank you for agreeing.

bigtakilla said:
Natsu said:

Well there is the wii to wii u and DS to 3ds :P 

it's an even smaller jump than that.

Naw I meant that this generation had the wii to the wii u which was a pretty big jump so I wouldn't call it the smallest jumb in cosnole history. If you're just talking about ps4/XB1 then maybe.