By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I was wrong about 8th gen.

I think 8th Gen graphics are:

Mind-blowing! 24 5.70%

clearly better than 7th gen. 151 35.87%

not a big jump, the systems need more power. 165 39.19%

diminishing returns. 54 12.83%

making me miss 8-bit! 26 6.18%

Total:420

I still find the leap from PS3/360 to PS4/Xbone underwhelming, personally.

With the PS2 to PS3, Xbox to 360, and even Wii to Wii U, the increase in graphics was enormous; the likes of Uncharted, Gears of War, or Trine 2 Director's Cut were totally unlike anything on the previous machines.

I just don't get that impression from even the best looking PS4/Xbone games. Sure, they look great, but PS3/360's best already looked great; their successors have the same basic look, just with an extra layer of polish.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

I'd say this is a better video (still not great, i have a pretty strong dislike of using YT for graphics comparisons because of the compression, but it'll do): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w6YBre42g8 - The gap between them at 5m30s to 7m is particularly striking to me, and the difference in their foliage masses throughout the video is amusingly huge. 

Regardless, there's probably not much point in us continuing this discussion passed here. Your opinion is obviously set, as is mine. I would, however, suggest you try playing some PS4/X1 games (assuming you haven't). Until he got an X1, the OP shared your opinion.

On that note-- OT: Glad to hear you're enjoying your X1, TheLastStarFighter ^^ If you haven't already you should pick up Sunset Overdrive. It's not exactly a technical marvel, but coupled with its art style i think it's one of the best looking titles on the X1.

Oh i have played all 3 consoles (friends got the others) and also played them in electronic markets. I dont say it doesnt look better at all (1080p does look better as 720p) but the gap is still very small. Also i dont think lastgen graphics are bad. Just because something is new or better, the old doesnt get worse.

You could make the same topic about current gen consoles to pc. There is a gap too, yes. And its noticeable yes. But its not something i would care about, scince the gap is again very small.

I've been impressed with Mario Kart tbh

btw i also noticed that the television device have a huge impact on graphics.

my friend got 2 tvs, one 720p 7 year old one and one made in 2013 1080p.
we played assassins creed 4 both on our devices (he xbone and i got wii u).

I the wii u was connected to the 2013 model and the xbox one to the old tv, ac4 looked better on wii u. So as long as your still using pretty old tvs, i guess the gap is even smaller

You played a good first game, Advanced Warfare is technically excellent in pretty much every way. I even enjoyed the story too!

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Around the Network
kopstudent89 said:
I've been impressed with Mario Kart tbh

Yeah, Kart and Smash pretty much got my "Holy Shit" moments this gen.

Now you need to teu PS4 to ser the things less blurry and have the best graphics of this gem (excluding PC of course)