By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I was wrong about 8th gen.

I think 8th Gen graphics are:

Mind-blowing! 24 5.70%

clearly better than 7th gen. 151 35.87%

not a big jump, the systems need more power. 165 39.19%

diminishing returns. 54 12.83%

making me miss 8-bit! 26 6.18%

Total:420

Has there been a jump in graphics quality? Yes.

Is it noticeable when comparing to previous gen? Yes.

The problem? It is nowhere near the jump we should have received. The consoles are drastically underpowered compared with would could have been. That, for me, is the problem.

Digital foundry should be having articles talking about advanced ray tracing, ambient occlusion etc, instead, we are stuck debating 1080p and 60fps, which, quite frankly, is pathetic. 1080p/60FPS should have been an achievable STANDARD, not something that is a talking point. And, because of that, game developers are spending too much time on 1080p and not enough time making a game.

XBL: NathObeaN | PSN: NathObeaN | Steam: NathObeaN

Around the Network
JNK said:

no joke or fake but the truth im sorry. 2 remastered versions of an last gen game/track.

The MK8 track might not be an original, but it was built from the ground up on a new engine. On a technical level, it might as well be brand new. TLOU:R on the other hand was just a linear port, with the majority of their effort put into bumping the performance from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps, and refining the in-game visuals where necessary.

Now, if we compare a PS3 game and a PS4 game running on engines tailored to each, suddenly the gap grows significantly more than the one if your TLOU video. Remarkable, i know.

You don't have to agree with the OT, it's somewhat subjective topic, but your example really was silly.

I'm less concerned about graphics as I am concerned about QUALITY!
we need to have games that aren't full of bugs or missing content if you buy a game the first month its released!
ALSO, I'll take lower quality graphics any day of the week if I can get some couch co op!
playing online is chill, but I at least want the option to play split screen with my friends.

Jonathan

Zekkyou said:
JNK said:

no joke or fake but the truth im sorry. 2 remastered versions of an last gen game/track.

The MK8 track might not be an original, but it was built from the ground up on a new engine. On a technical level, it might as well be brand new. TLOU:R on the other hand was just a linear port, with the majority of their effort put into bumping the performance from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps, and refining the in-game visuals where necessary.

Now, if we compare a PS3 game and a PS4 game running on engines tailored to each, suddenly the gap grows significantly more than the one if your TLOU video. Remarkable, i know.

You don't have to agree with the OT, it's somewhat subjective topic, but your example really was silly.

so i fount this. Is this better for you? Driveclub is known for one of the best ps4 graphics. To be honest the differences between GT6 and driveclub are still very small in my opinion.

JNK said:
Zekkyou said:

[video]

so i fount this. Is this better for you? Driveclub is known for one of the best ps4 graphics. To be honest the differences between GT6 and driveclub are still very small in my opinion.

I'd say this is a better video (still not great, i have a pretty strong dislike of using YT for graphics comparisons because of the compression, but it'll do): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w6YBre42g8 - The gap between them at 5m30s to 7m is particularly striking to me, and the difference in their foliage masses throughout the video is amusingly huge. 

Regardless, there's probably not much point in us continuing this discussion passed here. Your opinion is obviously set, as is mine. I would, however, suggest you try playing some PS4/X1 games (assuming you haven't). Until he got an X1, the OP shared your opinion.

On that note-- OT: Glad to hear you're enjoying your X1, TheLastStarFighter ^^ If you haven't already you should pick up Sunset Overdrive. It's not exactly a technical marvel, but coupled with its art style i think it's one of the best looking titles on the X1.

Around the Network

Every gen I always think that the graphical leap doesn't look that big until I start to actually get into it.

Zekkyou said:

I'd say this is a better video (still not great, i have a pretty strong dislike of using YT for graphics comparisons because of the compression, but it'll do): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w6YBre42g8 - The gap between them at 5m30s to 7m is particularly striking to me, and the difference in their foliage masses throughout the video is amusingly huge. 

Regardless, there's probably not much point in us continuing this discussion passed here. Your opinion is obviously set, as is mine. I would, however, suggest you try playing some PS4/X1 games (assuming you haven't). Until he got an X1, the OP shared your opinion.

On that note-- OT: Glad to hear you're enjoying your X1, TheLastStarFighter ^^ If you haven't already you should pick up Sunset Overdrive. It's not exactly a technical marvel, but coupled with its art style i think it's one of the best looking titles on the X1.

That's the biggest change this gen. Last gen You tube still flattered games with the compression by smearing over bad anti aliasing, ugly shadow edges etc, actually giving the illusion of extra detail in the compression artifacts. Plus looking at them in a smaller window always makes a 720p game look better.
This gen gameplay screenshots don't show how alive the world is and actually make the picture look worse due to the use of temporal anti aliasing, while you tube compresses away all the fine detail.

Last gen after watching a game on you tube it felt a bit underwhelming when playing for real on tv.
This gen it looks much better than on screenshots and you tube.

Anyway if driving through heavy rain at sunset in Driveclub doesn't make your jaw drop, then nothing will impress you.

Oh but just you wait till they harness the TRUE power of the PS3!

SvennoJ said:

Agreed. I think a lot of people see the past through rose tinted glasses. Comparing apples to apples, open world RPGs, HD playthroughs of the start of the games on the actual systems (spoilers duh)

Oblivion on ps3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjG2JmoVB_U

Skyrim on ps3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6KMvDsEyNg

The witcher 3 on ps4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_iBHLpI-c8

I don't think that's a tiny leap, and the leap from Skyrim to Wicher is far bigger than Oblivion to Skyrim.

Oh, nice examples.  I didn't realize Oblivion to Skyrim looked that similar.  Looking forward to the day I can play Witcher 3. 

Here is some Ryse some of Rome opening.  You can see it go seemlessly from rendered to in game engine aroudn 2:35.  When I first played I was like "oh, it's me now" when my controller rumbled cause the dude hit me.  I was sitting back just watching the eye candy and had not realized the game had started, lol.

And the whole caterpult fireballs flying overhead goes on during this and other battles. Also some epic very active sea battles, creepy walks in the forrest to distant fires too.

And, another favorite of mine - plus 8th gen enemy innovation, Shadow of Mordor:

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

SvennoJ said:
Zekkyou said:

That's the biggest change this gen. Last gen You tube still flattered games with the compression by smearing over bad anti aliasing, ugly shadow edges etc, actually giving the illusion of extra detail in the compression artifacts. Plus looking at them in a smaller window always makes a 720p game look better.
This gen gameplay screenshots don't show how alive the world is and actually make the picture look worse due to the use of temporal anti aliasing, while you tube compresses away all the fine detail.

Last gen after watching a game on you tube it felt a bit underwhelming when playing for real on tv.
This gen it looks much better than on screenshots and you tube.

Anyway if driving through heavy rain at sunset in Driveclub doesn't make your jaw drop, then nothing will impress you.

That someone (the OT) can have such a dramatic change of opinion just by going from seeing to playing the games says it all, really.