By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us is a good game…nothing more, nothing less

Qwark said:
curl-6 said:

I never said it was black and white. But it didn't let me choose my own shade of grey, it assigned me one, and I found the one I was given unappealing, and that slightly damaged the overall experience for me.

My bad, since you said ellie or the world it did sound pretty much black or white choise, perhaps a choise would have been better, but that would decrease the odds of a sequel. I for one think the ending is fitting for 2 characters which have there flaws.

I know it seems like I am bashing the game, but I actually really like it. The ending just wasn't what I wanted. That's okay though, it doesn't negate the 12 or so hours of entertainment that came before. For 90% of the time I was having fun.

Around the Network

Yup, I agree.

Not the game of the generation but it is an awesome game.

2 years later people still talk about the game and op says is just a good game lol

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

I consider it a great game, fantastic even. The combination of good story, terrific narration, great characters, great visuals and good music teamed with great gameplay is terribly rare and only found in a handful of titles that I can think of.
It is also a more adult and deeper take on a genre that has delved more into the gory, childish and stylized format for the most part and it manages to lend a sense of urgency by not allowing the player to grow overpowered, instead making you think and consider and then reconsider even small moves in the more hostile environments.

It's easily among the best I played in the 7th generation and I see it as a proper classic. However; I understand where the OP is coming from and how he might not see it that way, this genre, setting, tone and style of expression in gameplay and pacing is not for everyone.
There are plenty of games that received wildly positive reviews and community love that I simply cannot seem to enjoy as much as they do, or even at all.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Qwark said:

You know there were 13 people like Ellie before, which potentially could provide a cure, but just look at their laboratory, they are not able to make a vaccine there. Even if it would, it probally takes an enormous ammount of lives oreven testing multiple forms of vaccines since it is a bit of guessing until you found the right thing. You must make the choise Ellie or a small (5%) chance for humanity to find a cure which can't be massed produced and probably becomes a force of power anyhow since might makes corrupt in a lawless place. The choise isn't black-white neither is  barely anything in the game.

I never said it was black and white. But it didn't let me choose my own shade of grey, it assigned me one, and I found the one I was given unappealing, and that slightly damaged the overall experience for me.

The game's ending isn't about you making choices. It's not about your self-centered vision about what the story should be or not. The developers were the ones telling a story, from start to end, without giving you any choices to influence it ever. You were merely interacting with it. Cut-scenes being nothing more than a "stage complete" screen with the narrative being given instead of a score.

The shades of gray you can't see are in the dilemma, choices and their implications made by the game's protagonists. The stance that you have, and the way you explain it (or in fact, don't explain it) is what makes me see your input on this as black and white. No offence, but the fact that you didn't feel any empathy for the characters and their choices, and the way you choose to complain about what the game didn't give you instead of what the game developer were telling you, the meaning and reasons behind it, makes me think you have an idealistic approach to these kinds of things that prevent you from enjoying someone else's narrative work and visions. Which I think isn't fair to the creators of such narratives.

For your own sake, make sure you stay away as much as possible from Game of Thrones.

Gameplay wise I'd agree with you, but as a whole package there are numerous times it stood way above any game I played in the last generation. Winter had me so engrossed and invested in the characters,the portion where you're hunting the deer as Ellie was so poetic to me considering everything that proceeded. I really can't remember many other games throughout the gen that actually moved me at all. I'd have to go all the way back to Final Fantasy X when I was only 9 years old. Simply put its quality of character shits on 99% of the games I'd played. Quality of the package as whole is also rare.

Was it the most fun I had all generation? No. Was it a flawless game? Definitely not, but I'd argue it moved me the most, alongside Journey.

Luckily I didn't go into either experience expecting for them be the best things I ever played, I think that helped. I expected great experience and that's what I received.

Pipedream24 said:
Rafie said:
Okay I would like to hear some opinions on what games of recent times deserve perfect scores, outside of TLoU. A lot of you don't believe the game deserves the credit it got. So I really want to know what some of you think about other games who should have gotten the spotlight over this game.

With you being of similar age to me, can you honestly say that the Last of Us (or almost any game in the past decade) gave you the same sense of awe as when you popped Super Mario Bros. 3 into your NES when it was released. How about the playing through MGS or FFVII on the Playstation back in the 90's? Hell, how about running around Liberty City for the first time in GTA 3 for the PS2? 

Last generation there really are only few games that I felt were truly something special when they released. CoD 4 Modern Warfare, Mass Effect 2, BioShock, and Gears of War. They may all have flaws and the innovations they brought to table may not seem so significant now, but each game altered the gaming landscape in their own way. They were also a ton of fun to play.

Maybe because I am older now it is taking more to impress me or maybe when I was younger and had to work my ass off to save money to buy a game I appreciated them more...I honestly don't know. I just know that when I saw Midgar for the first time in FFVII my jaw dropped. When I had to plug my controller into the second port of the PS1 to confuse Psycho Mantis I was amazed, and the first time I took off into the sky as Racoon Mario I smiled ear to ear. I haven't had that feeling in a long time while playing a game.

And so far, outside of some exclusives on the WiiU, this generation has been a complete disappointment. Bloodborne is honestly the first game that I did not want to put down on any of the three consoles. I haven't played a game that has made me want to throw a controller in frustration all while wanting more in a very long time. There is just something special about it. And for me, that is what The Last of Us is missing. I have bought the game twice now (PS3 & PS4) and I have yet to finish it. It is by no means a bad game, but for me, it just feels a bit to familiar to be a game that wows me. 

And just as a disclaimer, I don't believe a game needs to be absolutely flawless to earn a 10/10 score and everything I wrote is my opinion.

dunno how old you are..but Mario 3 didn't wow me at all. that honor goes to double dragon 2.

But I'll agree with Midgar and Psycho Mantis.

I havent played TLOU or any other game this gen but I will say this

There is no perfect "GOTG" or "GOTY". A game may get the majority praise, but there will always.."ALWAYS" be a portion of the population who did not enjoy or even disliked a so called "GOTG" or "GOTY". 

I respect that and understand that everyone has their own taste. heck I hate Halo to hell..all of the Halo games. But that doesn't mean that I dont recognize its greatness. I can see why a lot of people like it and i wont go around saying that is just an "ok" game or a "meh" game. coz its not, its a "great game" and to others, the pinacle of greatness. 

I'm not refering to you in particular, but everyone should understand that just because a game didnt' hold up to your standards or taste doesnt' mean that it makes the majority's feelings for it wrong. it just shows that you have a different pallet that everyone else. 

Dont look at it with your own eyes but try and look at it with the perspective of those who feel that TLOU was really really great and that will help you understand. 

curl-6 said:
ReimTime said:

What did you guys dislike about the ending?

That it made the "Ellie or the world" choice for me, and made me act out choosing the former though I would have chosen the latter.

I kind of loved that and thought it was part of the genius of the game. Throughout they made it very clear that Joel is not you, he has done terrible things and continued to do so in order to survive. One of the few games that doesn't throw its protagonist into 2 dimensional territory. I didn't love that they made me press the button when dealing with the doctors but that aside the end left me feeling some type of way, which is always better then nothing

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

The game's ending isn't about you making choices. It's not about your self-centered vision about what the story should be or not. The developers were the ones telling a story, from start to end, without giving you any choices to influence it ever. You were merely interacting with it. Cut-scenes being nothing more than a "stage complete" screen with the narrative being given instead of a score.

The shades of gray you can't see are in the dilemma, choices and implications made by the game's protagonists. The stance that you have, and the way you explain it (or infact, don't explain it) is what makes me see your input on this as black and white. No offence, but the fact that you didn't feel any empathy for the characters and their choices, and the way you choose to complain about what the game didn't give you instead of what the game developer were telling you, the meaning and reasons behind it, makes me think you have an idealistic approach to these kinds of things that prevent you from enjoying someone else's narrative work and visions. Which I think isn't fair to the creators of such narratives.

You're putting words in my mouth now. I never said I had no empathy for them. I felt some. Just not enough to swallow the game's "screw the world, save one person" statement.

Yes, it was the dev's story, not mine. But frankly, their story had flaws.