By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us is a good game…nothing more, nothing less

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Ofcourse it is.

Opinions aside, that picture proves Empire website has idiotic know nothing writers.  Not because of my views on The Last of Us, but because Citizen Kane was a movie loved for it's GROUND BREAKING ideas.  As in it did things that had never been done before in a movie. One of the biggest criticisms of the Last of Us is it's lack of innovation, so a comparison to that movie is ridiculous.  It's a game that perfected the wheel rather than inventing the flying car. 

Citizen Kane was loved for it's use of camera angles and other effects.  A very imposing villain would have the camera looking up at him from below making him seem like a terrifying dictator for example. 

Around the Network
ReimTime said:
curl-6 said:
ReimTime said:

The human race that had proven itself to be a shitshow of hunters and fireflies was worth saving over Ellie? Ellie being the girl that you had (hopefully) connected so much with from your time spent as Joel? I saw myself as Joel and I chose Ellie over the humans. I saw that there was a chance for the human race by the Dam; and outside the Dam all I saw were monsters. That was the power of TLOU: It connected you to the characters so much that their immoral choices were justified. It never was about player choice; you were meant to experience Ellie and Joel's journey; and not just watch it either. Just look at the design choices: they could have had a cutscene for Joel carrying Ellie in the hospital but they chose player agency.

That's the thing though, it didn't for me. Not enough to get me on board with screwing over the rest of my species.

That's a shame, really. You missed out on a lot.

Ellie was humanity. There was a species of safe and sound humans inside the dam. All the humans living across the USA were brutal survivors that I did not consider worth saving; even if I had a choice. Cannibals, rapists, hunters etc. Sam and Henry were the only ones worth saving; and their kind was rapidly fading.

I don't buy that there were no decent people left in the whole world. We didn't meet the global population during our journey; Ellie's not the only kid out there, just the only one we're presented with.

I think it'd be fair to ask the people who weren't impressed by the game to share with the rest of us their own suggestions of games that should deserve the amount of praise The Last of Us has received, and explain their choice, or choices, briefly.

Also, if you took longer than 10 seconds to think of a game or if you can't think of one on the spot, then you failed the test.

Personally, I thought it was a fantastic game and deserved all the praise it got. I think most of the people who played the game within a month of the release shared the same mutual feeling, but the people who got to play it after reading all the opinions and praise after the initial hype set their own expectations of the game and limited their own experience by doing so. Sort of like watching a movie that everyone kept talking about. I experienced that phenomenon too, but I do try to keep an open mind when I come across those examples.

...Or perhaps the game isn't just your cup of tea, which is entirely fine as well.

Also, I cannot remember who mentioned it but there was someone who said that the soundtrack wasn't good or something along those lines? Could you share an example of an OST that you yourself resonated with? Because I haven't heard something so beautiful from a video game in a while such as this :

DarkD said:

Opinions aside, that picture proves Empire website has idiotic know nothing writers.  Not because of my views on The Last of Us, but because Citizen Kane was a movie loved for it's GROUND BREAKING ideas.  As in it did things that had never been done before in a movie.  That's the exact thing everyone here is criticizing The Last of Us over....  It's a game that perfected the wheel rather than inventing the flying car. 

Citizen Kane was loved for it's use of camera angles and other effects.  A very imposing villain would have the camera looking up at him from below making him seem like a terrifying dictator for example. 

In a nutshell, Citizen Kane perfected cinema of its time. 

This game is so influential, still getting popular threads after 2 years out there which can only prove how good it is.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
curl-6 said:
ReimTime said:

Ellie was humanity. There was a species of safe and sound humans inside the dam. All the humans living across the USA were brutal survivors that I did not consider worth saving; even if I had a choice. Cannibals, rapists, hunters etc. Sam and Henry were the only ones worth saving; and their kind was rapidly fading.

I don't buy that there were no decent people left in the whole world. We didn't meet the global population during our journey; Ellie's not the only kid out there, just the only one we're presented with.

Probably were pockets of worthy survivors; all most likely making themselves scarce. That opens up the whole possibility that getting them a vaccine would be near impossible, but I digress.

It really is a shame that you were unable to connect with the characters very well.  The game revolved around the characters and their journey.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

curl-6 said:
ReimTime said:
curl-6 said:
ReimTime said:

The human race that had proven itself to be a shitshow of hunters and fireflies was worth saving over Ellie? Ellie being the girl that you had (hopefully) connected so much with from your time spent as Joel? I saw myself as Joel and I chose Ellie over the humans. I saw that there was a chance for the human race by the Dam; and outside the Dam all I saw were monsters. That was the power of TLOU: It connected you to the characters so much that their immoral choices were justified. It never was about player choice; you were meant to experience Ellie and Joel's journey; and not just watch it either. Just look at the design choices: they could have had a cutscene for Joel carrying Ellie in the hospital but they chose player agency.

That's the thing though, it didn't for me. Not enough to get me on board with screwing over the rest of my species.

Ellie also wasn't the only person that was immune. The fireflies had 13(?) other people that were immune that resulted in nothing. They can find more people that are immune instead of Ellie to experiment with. It was no guarantee that the operation would result in a cure for humanity. And after everything Joel has been through in his life, he doesn't find it worth it.

Ellie will die from the operation and there is a good chance of getting no cure.

ReimTime said:
curl-6 said:

Probably were pockets of worthy survivors; all most likely making themselves scarce. That opens up the whole possibility that getting them a vaccine would be near impossible, but I digress.

It really is a shame that you were unable to connect with the characters very well.  The game revolved around the characters and their journey.

Hey, I still enjoyed the game. :) 

We're getting this thread every couple months aren't we?

darkshadow23 said:
curl-6 said:

Ellie also wasn't the only person that was immune. The fireflies had 13(?) other people that were immune that resulted in nothing. They can find more people that are immune instead of Ellie to experiment with. It was no guarantee that the operation would result in a cure for humanity. And after everything Joel has been through in his life, he doesn't find it worth it.

Ellie will die from the operation and there is a good chance of getting no cure.

It seemed pretty clear that without a cure, humanity was fucked. The needs of the many and all that, no pain no gain.

It was in Joel's character to pick Ellie over the world, of course, but it wasn't in my character.