By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us is a good game…nothing more, nothing less

Skyrim is overrated as well. The dragon battles were a complete disappointment, they were so hyped up, but they were turned into a generic boss monster. The whole game was made into a casual version of what the Elder Scrolls used to be. I'm an old school Morrowind fan, it may have been difficult and finicky as hell, but there was a sense of adventure that just isn't present in it's sequels anymore.

I used to scour the giant map that came with the game trying to find caves and dungeons, now I have a radar that points me to them.... I used to rely on vague clues like "follow the path until you hit an old tree then head east." now I have an arrow pointing towards the destination...

I used to have dungeons and areas of the map which I considered too high level for me, now I have a game that levels the monsters with me...

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

Most dads in the world would see things the way Joel did. Maybe you just couldn't put yourself in Joel's place because you haven't experienced what being a dad is. That being said, I know a lot of people with enough empathy to understand without being a father themselve.

The game didn't make me like Ellie enough to choose her over the world. Don't get me wrong, she was a good character, but not worth throwing the entire human race out the window. Taking the choice away from the player and making me act out a cause I didn't believe in placed story over gameplay, which is always a bad thing in my opinion.

*I'm playing devil's advocate so don't hate me*

The human race that had proven itself to be a shitshow of hunters and fireflies was worth saving over Ellie? Ellie being the girl that you had (hopefully) connected so much with from your time spent as Joel? I saw myself as Joel and I chose Ellie over the humans. I saw that there was a chance for the human race by the Dam; and outside the Dam all I saw were monsters. That was the power of TLOU: It connected you to the characters so much that their immoral choices were justified. It never was about player choice; you were meant to experience Ellie and Joel's journey; and not just watch it either. Just look at the design choices: they could have had a cutscene for Joel carrying Ellie in the hospital but they chose player agency.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

SWORDF1SH said:
taus90 said:
I never thought of playing Skyrim, but after hearing so many great reviews and accolades it received, I decided to give it a try, but i never finished the game and i thought it was boring.
the problem is if you play it after reading so many praises you subconsciously hype it to a perfect game. But like me and the other vast majority of people including Reviewers who played it before awarding GOTG, its a master piece.

Tomb raider took Uncharted gameplay and made it better, but with the Last of Us ND showed again how survival game should be done.

I got tired of Skyrim but I could still see it was a great game.

Excatly Its a great game, and my experience with the game doesnt change that.

darkshadow23 said:
curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

Most dads in the world would see things the way Joel did. Maybe you just couldn't put yourself in Joel's place because you haven't experienced what being a dad is. That being said, I know a lot of people with enough empathy to understand without being a father themselve.

The game didn't make me like Ellie enough to choose her over the world. Don't get me wrong, she was a good character, but not worth throwing the entire human race out the window. Taking the choice away from the player and making me act out a cause I didn't believe in placed story over gameplay, which is always a bad thing in my opinion.

It wasn't 100% sure that they would find a cure. They had 13(?) other people that were immune before Ellie. Nothing came from them. Also are people worth saving?

There's a lot of questions that I think should go on in your mind at those kind of moments. It's a little fascinating to me that certain people just don't get those moments or can't see them on a gray scale rather than black and white. 

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

The game was never about you making choices the entire time and you expected that to change at that moment?

Ok...

I didn't say I expected to given the choice, but I would've had a higher opinion of the game if it hadn't funnelled me down a path I didn't want to take in the final act. Much like I didn't expect Mario 3D World to have more open stages, but I would've had a higher opinion of it than I did.

And for the record, I still rank TLOU as my #3 game of 2013, so it's not like I hate it.

Around the Network
ReimTime said:

The human race that had proven itself to be a shitshow of hunters and fireflies was worth saving over Ellie? Ellie being the girl that you had (hopefully) connected so much with from your time spent as Joel? I saw myself as Joel and I chose Ellie over the humans. I saw that there was a chance for the human race by the Dam; and outside the Dam all I saw were monsters. That was the power of TLOU: It connected you to the characters so much that their immoral choices were justified. It never was about player choice; you were meant to experience Ellie and Joel's journey; and not just watch it either. Just look at the design choices: they could have had a cutscene for Joel carrying Ellie in the hospital but they chose player agency.

That's the thing though, it didn't for me. Not enough to get me on board with screwing over the rest of my species.

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

The game was never about you making choices the entire time and you expected that to change at that moment?

Ok...

I didn't say I expected to given the choice, but I would've had a higher opinion of the game if it hadn't funnelled me down a path I didn't want to take in the final act. Much like I didn't expect Mario 3D World to have more open stages, but I would've had a higher opinion of it than I did.

And for the record, I still rank TLOU as my #3 game of 2013, so it's not like I hate it.

Well the game is about Joel and Ellie. Joel would have shot the doctors to save Ellie. So thats what happens. Put yourself in Joels shoes.

darkshadow23 said:

Well the game is about Joel and Ellie. Joel would have shot the doctors to save Ellie. So thats what happens. Put yourself in Joels shoes.

I didn't like being in Joel's shoes.

curl-6 said:
ReimTime said:

That's the thing though, it didn't for me. Not enough to get me on board with screwing over the rest of my species.

That's a shame, really. You missed out on a lot.

Ellie was humanity. There was a species of safe and sound humans inside the dam. All the humans living across the USA were brutal survivors that I did not consider worth saving; even if I had a choice. Cannibals, rapists, hunters etc. Sam and Henry were the only ones worth saving; and their kind was rapidly fading.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

The Last of Us will remain one of the games which impacted me the most for a number of reasons; some not actually relating to the game itself which at least one person here knows. And it's a game which I enjoyed immensely (and might indeed start playing again now thanks to this thread).

Does it mean it was the best thing ever made? No; and perhaps it is slightly overrated. That doesn't take away from how great the game is and such expectations shouldn't be held against it either. If you are looking for a great, thougtful game then you can't go too far wrong with TLoU, but it isn't perfect.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.