By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us is a good game…nothing more, nothing less

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

The game's ending isn't about you making choices. It's not about your self-centered vision about what the story should be or not. The developers were the ones telling a story, from start to end, without giving you any choices to influence it ever. You were merely interacting with it. Cut-scenes being nothing more than a "stage complete" screen with the narrative being given instead of a score.

The shades of gray you can't see are in the dilemma, choices and implications made by the game's protagonists. The stance that you have, and the way you explain it (or infact, don't explain it) is what makes me see your input on this as black and white. No offence, but the fact that you didn't feel any empathy for the characters and their choices, and the way you choose to complain about what the game didn't give you instead of what the game developer were telling you, the meaning and reasons behind it, makes me think you have an idealistic approach to these kinds of things that prevent you from enjoying someone else's narrative work and visions. Which I think isn't fair to the creators of such narratives.

You're putting words in my mouth now. I never said I had no empathy for them. I felt some. Just not enough to swallow the game's "screw the world, save one person" statement.

Yes, it was the dev's story, not mine. But frankly, their story had flaws.

Whataver you say, Curl. The game is made to make you think and reflect and what went on. It seems like you just tossed it all aside, with the judgment that the game's story was flawed because it wasn't your idea of what it should have been. 

I'm sure for any flaws you can think of about its story, people here can negate most of them with logical, rational reasons why they're not flaws.

Around the Network

Haha everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But mine is that this game is objectively the best one of the last decade.

Every action game since Uncharted 2 has been trying to make a game with both the perfect story (one that is better than 90% of the movies out there), and the perfect gameplay. TLoU is the first game to nail it 100%.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

I love the way some people will say something like 'well that's your opinion ' in an attempt to undermine someone or make the point less valid.
Of course it's someone's opinion, that's why they said it.
I haven't played the game, but I have heard nothing but good things about it, from the net of course, but also from some good friends of mine. I do plan to borrow it and give it a go, but at the same time I'm worried that it won't live up to the hype. The hype for this game was immense. Like GA level and I have never found any GTA to be that great, and the only 'Good' one (my opinion of course lol) is Vice City.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

I vehemently disagree. TLOU was a special experience, the narrative was so strong that I didn't feel like playing other games for weeks, because I kept thinking about the ending.

I agree with the gameplay, it was just "good", nothing more. After a whole gen I'm getting fatigued by western 3rd person shooters and ever since playing Bloodborne and W101 the last few weeks I realized Japanese action games is what I want now.

A game, whatever if it's average or a masterpiece, is not a sum of pros and cons. Would it make any sense in 1985 to take Mario and say "no scenario, and average graphics (even back in 1985), actions are simplistic" ? You have to take it as a whole. I remember Doom, and in term of scenario, colors, diversity of enemies, variety of action, etc., etc. it was far from being the best. But it was in 3D, and fast, and that made it a totally different experience.

Anyway, TLOU has it flaws, AI, the action is not really impressive. For me the AI was very disappointing, the sequence in the church was ruined by Allie running everywhere like a rat, it was really killing the atmosphere... then you get used to it (or not), you get (or not) in the story, that is quite dark and realistic, served by the excellent graphics, you start feeling empathy to the characters (or not), etc. and really, I speak for myself, I had excellent, memorable moments that makes it one my best games ever. I can tell it's the first time ever I really related to and cared for a character in a video game. I will try to say it better, for me, that's the first time a game provided graphics and a story good enough to enjoy an immersion better than a movie I can't interact with.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

You're putting words in my mouth now. I never said I had no empathy for them. I felt some. Just not enough to swallow the game's "screw the world, save one person" statement.

Yes, it was the dev's story, not mine. But frankly, their story had flaws.

Whataver you say, Curl. The game is made to make you think and reflect and what went on. It seems like you just tossed it all aside, with the judgment that the game's story was flawed because it wasn't your idea of what the story should be.

Oh for Christ's sake.

Ok you guys, you're right, TLOU is the holy gift of God to mankind, and anyone who doesn't jerk off to it at night is an ignorant uneducated peasant who doesn't "get it". How dare I not swoon over its narrative, because of course being morally grey automatically means that characters/plot are immune to all criticism, and if you don't like it, hey, you must be "black and white".

God forbid someone actually not enjoy every single aspect of it, because haven't you heard, that's not allowed.

Over the course of this thread I've been accused of being incapable of interpreting nuance, of having no empathy, and of being self-centred. Guess that's what happens when you have the fucking audacity not to worship The Last of Us.

Fucking hell.

I agree with Op. Game was good but not even close to a masterpiece. The story was well written and the characters had good chemstry and the art style was good but the gameplay mechanies got boring very quick and the AI intelligence was average even on second the hardest difficulty. The hardest enemy in the game was the clicker . Thats because if you get caught its gameover unless you are using ellie.

dane007 said:
I agree with Op. Game was good but not even close to a masterpiece. The story was well written and the characters had good chemstry and the art style was good but the gameplay mechanies got boring very quick and the AI intelligence was average even on second the hardest difficulty. The hardest enemy in the game was the clicker . Thats because if you get caught its gameover unless you are using ellie.

The Clicker aren't really that hard when you learn how to deal with them; you can one-shot them with a simple brick if they're unaware of your presence.

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

Whataver you say, Curl. The game is made to make you think and reflect and what went on. It seems like you just tossed it all aside, with the judgment that the game's story was flawed because it wasn't your idea of what the story should be.

Oh for Christ's sake.

Ok you guys, you're right, TLOU is the holy gift of God to mankind, and anyone who doesn't jerk off to it at night is an ignorant uneducated peasant who doesn't "get it". How dare I not swoon over its narrative, because of course being morally grey automatically means that characters/plot are immune to all criticism, and if you don't like it, hey, you must be "black and white".

God forbid someone actually not enjoy every single aspect of it, because haven't you heard, that's not allowed.

Over the course of this thread I've been accused of being incapable of interpreting nuance, of having no empathy, and of being self-centred. Guess that's what happens when you have the fucking audacity not to worship The Last of Us.

Fucking hell.

Not once have you tried to provide a reasonable explanation or elaboration as to why the story's ending wasn't right.

The only thing you said was that it wasn't what you would have done if Curl had been the protagonist of the story. So, I'm not going to feel sorry when you can't explain your stance and elaborate on it based on the game's given parameters.

Cause The Walking Dead was popular at the time this game was released so it gain more attention than it could be

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213