By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

3DS - dead or alive?

Dead 106 26.04%

Alive 301 73.96%

Total:407
Ka-pi96 said:
That's just not true. 3DS is getting a lot more than nothing.

22nd May: Puzzle+Dragons
26th May: Hatsune Miku
12th June: Lego Jurassic
4th August: Etrian Odyssey
22nd September: Rodea the sky soldier

So far unannounced release dates:
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
Lego Marvel Avengers
Mighty No. 9
Senran Kagura 2

Plus I suspect there will be some kind of Pokemon this year as well, whether that is Z or a spinoff doesn't really matter, it's still a game that will most likely be good.

We haven´t got news about Detective Pikachu for quite some time....

Besides those games, we´re getting the remake of Devil Survivor 2 and Yokai Watch. Bravely Second,  The Great Ace Attorney, Project X Zone 2, Style Savvy 3 and Fire Emblem If will probably be launched in the West next year.

I´d say that the 3ds is far from dead. 

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
zorg1000 said:

I would say he's more annoyed than offended.

The OP was specifically saying it seems "dead" on software. As others have said, the goalposts for "dead" are variable to the individual. Most on here class Vita as dead, but there's generally a few releases each month that interest me. If it's dead for the OP, that's his opinion, he was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. I felt that way too as the games 3DS has been getting over the past year or two haven't really stoked my interest.

Thanks for being one of the only people in here who really understood what I was getting at.

I will say that I don't have quite as bleak a view of the 3DS's last two years as you do, since Animal Crossing, 2 Zeldas and 2 Pokémons all released since Luigi's Mansion 2, but certainly 2014 was a quiet year and 2015 is set to be at the very least as quiet as that.

I'm not saying my 3DS game buying days are completely over, just that the console is now reminiscent of Wii in 2011 for example, with sparing support from both Nintendo and third parties.

Cream147 said:

Thanks for being one of the only people in here who really understood what I was getting at.

I will say that I don't have quite as bleak a view of the 3DS's last two years as you do, since Animal Crossing, 2 Zeldas and 2 Pokémons all released since Luigi's Mansion 2, but certainly 2014 was a quiet year and 2015 is set to be at the very least as quiet as that.

I'm not saying my 3DS game buying days are completely over, just that the console is now reminiscent of Wii in 2011 for example, with sparing support from both Nintendo and third parties.

My bad, A Link Between Worlds was stunning! I can't believe I forgot that when I even have the ALBW LE 3DS XL system haha. That said, that was still 18 months ago.

Pokemon doesn't interest me (Blue and Yellow were cool, but never got into one after those) and neither does Animal Crossing (tried on GameCube and DS, just did nothing for me). So thats why I've found it a pretty barren slate. As I say, great for people who love those games. That said, I have really really loved the 3D SEGA AGES stuff, I can't get over how well this stuff pops in 3D!

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

First, when you see if something is "dead", you compare it to its competition. Vita is not beating it and therefore the statement is false.

In the thread context, because all though WiiU titles are getting the spotlight, the console itself doesn't show signs of surging sales. Even if the 3ds chugs along selling to children on the base premise that its cheaper then a Vita, the 3ds is technically more alive then WiiU can hope to be.

That said, Nintendo is not prioritizing 3ds lately, at least from a marketing perspective. Just because people are "talking" about WiiU games, it isn't the same as putting your money where your mouth is. Hell I can talk about Splatoon, doesn't mean I will buy a WiiU, and will continue to use my 3DS.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

We're gonna get surprises at E3 2015. It's Alive. Just not alive like the DS was. I wonder what other competitive consoles are if 3DS is "dead" though. I will say that Nintendo has played most of its cards. We'll get a new Pokemon before 3DS totally goes downhill. Maybe if we got more Japanese localizations, the US wouldn't feel like this. I guarantee Japan doesn't feel like we do. They get EVERYTHING. They get all the Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and odd games here and there. We just get the meat and Potatoes. I wonder if Yokai Watch will revive interest in the 3DS platform.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

First, when you see if something is "dead", you compare it to its competition. Vita is not beating it and therefore the statement is false.

The thread is about software. Vita is getting a lot more software released on it, so far more "alive" in terms of software releases ;)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

You're calling a handheld that still sells over 100,000 per week dead? Even if you factor in the games there's more than its competitor, the Vita, and if any console is dead then its that one.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Darwinianevolution said:
Smear-Gel said:
Is nobody else but me expecting a second original handheld Zelda?

Not really. ALBW was amazing, but it didn't do as well as the remakes of the 64 twins. I would like to see an original 3D handheld Zelda, but I don't want them oversaturating the franchise. There's been a lot of Zelda this gen. Better wait one gen to get new ideas.

There's never been a handheld with only one original handheld Zelda, and 2.5 million certainly seems like a decent amount of sales.

Smear-Gel said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Smear-Gel said:
Is nobody else but me expecting a second original handheld Zelda?

Not really. ALBW was amazing, but it didn't do as well as the remakes of the 64 twins. I would like to see an original 3D handheld Zelda, but I don't want them oversaturating the franchise. There's been a lot of Zelda this gen. Better wait one gen to get new ideas.

There's never been a handheld with only one original handheld Zelda, and 2.5 million certainly seems like a decent amount of sales.

Didn't GBA just have one original Zelda?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

New Pokemon Mystery Dungeon announced for fall.