By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The 3DS is dead?

3DS - dead or alive?

Dead 106 26.04%

Alive 301 73.96%

Total:407

While the Wii U has been dominating Nintendo conversation it seems that something has happened in the background with only a couple of people acknowledging it. The 3DS has died. To make my point, let's first examine what Wii U owners have to look forward to between now and the end of the year.

• Splatoon
  • Yoshi's Woolly World
  • Mario Maker
  • X
  • Star Fox

It's not a lot to be sure, but let's contrast it with what the 3DS has to offer:

• ... ... ... ... ...

Hmm. 3DS does have Fire Emblem If slated for 2016, but that's pretty much it. For a console that got a new iteration this year, that's pretty awful.

Now, I know that E3 is incoming, but this isn't just a shortage of games like we're seeing on the Wii U - this is a superdrought. Surely to bring any respectability to the 3DS they need to announce 5+ new big games for it at E3, which I do not see happening. I have to say I really thought Pokémon needed a year off, but it looks like they'll need to wheel it out again this year just to save the 3DS this holiday.

So I've said my piece, what do you think? Dead or alive?

Around the Network

Most likely will get some more titles after E3, but right now only animal crossing being the nintendo centric one. However games like Bravely Second and Fire Emblem If showcase that it still has amazing titles coming.

The 3DS has had better support than the WiiU already this year:
-Majora's Mask
-Codename STEAM
-Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
-Fossil Fighters
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-As well as a host of F2P games Nintendo has produced

Compared to only Kirby and MP10 getting released on WiiU amongst several VC releases. Though XCX did get released in Japan finally.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Well, this isn't the best year for the 3DS, but the system isn't dead. The thing with the 3DS schedule this year is that it doesn't have as many heavy hitters as 2013 or 2014. 2016 will be a better year with Fire Emblem IF and western release of Youkai Watch (and hopefully something for the N3DS) will improve its sales. After that, the NX will get most of Nintendo's attention.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

fleischr said:
-Majora's Mask
-Codename STEAM
-Fossil Fighters
-Xenoblade Chronicles

Compared to only Kirby and MP10 getting released on WiiU amongst several VC releases. Though XCX did get released in Japan finally.

I agree that the 3DS has had better support than Wii U this year up to now. However, now that's over, there's a very serious lack of upcoming games for the system. That's my point.

Around the Network

Kinda a bit silly to make this thread just a few weeks before E3, don't you think?

Cream147 said:
fleischr said:
-Majora's Mask
-Codename STEAM
-Fossil Fighters
-Xenoblade Chronicles

I agree that the 3DS has had better support than Wii U this year up to now. However, now that's over, there's a very serious lack of upcoming games for the system. That's my point.

Most likely couple of more titles yet to be announced, knowning the current trends of the big three, some silly repackaged gamecube/n64/wii game for the "new" 3DS. 

It's certainly not dead, just not as thriving as it was a couple years ago.

We stiil got some great games headed for the 3DS, including Fire Emblem if.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Cream147 said:

We tend to get significantly shorter lead times between 3DS game announcements and their launch. The WiiU on the other hand has had several of it's big releases confirmed for well over a year now and they're still not out.

I think the strategy in positioning the 3DS is shifting towards more F2P titles, which get a lot less fanfare on their announcement/arrival. I think they're angling for some kind of F2P mega-hit on that system rather than going for more traditional releases.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

The system has many games slated for 2015 as well as next year so no, it's not dead. Japanese devs are really supporting it still. It's just that right now, Nintendo is focusing more on the Wii U in terms of 1st party.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread