By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Disappearing" JRPG Series in Home Console (Console Space 5-6th Generation)

Anfebious said:
Xxain said:
Anfebious said:

Hey most of the games listed on the OP are dead. You should try not to be so technical with this stuff... If a long time has passed since a proper release (a main release) from a series it's dead.

Then if it gets a new release you can say it was revived.

That is not the definition of dead franchide. A dead franchise is one where the developer/publisher has not interest in using or returning too. Or in Shadow Hearts case, no one to continue it. 

Well you just confirmed what I said. Most of the franchises in the OP are dead by your definition.

I like my definition better though, it keeps things way more simple.

So nothing has happened with Breath of Fire? Wild arms didnt get a PSP installment, XENO doesnt have a spiritual successor on Wii U, Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden didnt have DS installments, Shining and Phantasy star didnt have a buttload of new entrys through last gen up till now, Mana series doesnt have anniversary plans?

How do you ignore all the things going with these IPs? Because there not where you want to play? Even the new thread is un accurate. 

Around the Network

Yep. Sucks, doesn't it?

At least the otaku ghetto has kept things alive through the 7th gen. And hey, Square Enix revived Star Ocean, so anything can happen!

Have to admit though, I prefer playing JRPG's on handhelds these days. Suspend/resume and playing wherever I am just suits them pretty damn well.

And Wild ARMs is the one that hurts the most. Can't believe we never got a new one in the 7th gen, even though Media Vision are still alive and Sony need to sell consoles in Japan! Ugh.

Kresnik said:
Yep. Sucks, doesn't it?

At least the otaku ghetto has kept things alive through the 7th gen. And hey, Square Enix revived Star Ocean, so anything can happen!

Have to admit though, I prefer playing JRPG's on handhelds these days. Suspend/resume and playing wherever I am just suits them pretty damn well.

And Wild ARMs is the one that hurts the most. Can't believe we never got a new one in the 7th gen, even though Media Vision are still alive and Sony need to sell consoles in Japan! Ugh.

How media.vision is handled baffles me. They're a capable developers, but they work on surprising projects. Chaos Ring is a good series, but to make 3 full JRPGs for mobile platforms is a odd direction.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Xxain said:
Anfebious said:
Xxain said:
Anfebious said:

Hey most of the games listed on the OP are dead. You should try not to be so technical with this stuff... If a long time has passed since a proper release (a main release) from a series it's dead.

Then if it gets a new release you can say it was revived.

That is not the definition of dead franchide. A dead franchise is one where the developer/publisher has not interest in using or returning too. Or in Shadow Hearts case, no one to continue it. 

Well you just confirmed what I said. Most of the franchises in the OP are dead by your definition.

I like my definition better though, it keeps things way more simple.

So nothing has happened with Breath of Fire? Wild arms didnt get a PSP installment, XENO doesnt have a spiritual successor on Wii U, Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden didnt have DS installments, Shining and Phantasy star didnt have a buttload of new entrys through last gen up till now, Mana series doesnt have anniversary plans?

How do you ignore all the things going with these IPs? Because there not where you want to play? Even the new thread is un accurate. 

How is the new thread title inaccurate now (unaccurate is sadly not a word)? Sorry but I think I should just ignore you while continue to work on this thread. It seems other remember the titles and were okay with it, you are the only one acting all offended. 

Also I didn't not list Xeno, I listed Xenosaga, those are three titles interconnected, that haven't seen a fourth. 

Still waiting for more sequels to Baten Kaitos, Valkyrie Profile and Grandia.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Yep. Sucks, doesn't it?

Squared revived Star Ocean? It was never dead. It took 4 years for Star Ocean 3 to come out after 2. It took 6 years for VP2. Star Ocean 5 is within normal tri-Ace development time. Its like if the series isnt seen within 2 years its dead. No its not. Not every JRPG can be put out at FF or Neptunia speeds

Annoy Harada san about the Xenosaga HD remaster!

It took Square 5 years to make a sequel to CT, the most universally loved SNES.

Turkish said:
Annoy Harada san about the Xenosaga HD remaster!

While that would be awesome, it would be more awesome to see episode 4, which won't really happen, because I doubt Nintendo will let Monolith Soft make that game. 

vivster said:
Still waiting for more sequels to Baten Kaitos, Valkyrie Profile and Grandia.

Those three are on a persistent vegetative state, I doubt you will get a new game in those series... ever.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"