By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Disappearing" JRPG Series in Home Console (Console Space 5-6th Generation)

Thank you for changing the title. I was very confused, considering SMT is very much alive on handhelds. (It is also getting a crossover game on Wii U if that counts)

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network
Xxain said:

So nothing has happened with Breath of Fire? Wild arms didnt get a PSP installment, XENO doesnt have a spiritual successor on Wii U, Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden didnt have DS installments, Shining and Phantasy star didnt have a buttload of new entrys through last gen up till now, Mana series doesnt have anniversary plans?

How do you ignore all the things going with these IPs? Because there not where you want to play? Even the new thread is un accurate. 

Most of the main releases for those series where years ago. Wild Arms had it's last game 8 years ago...

It's easier to consider them dead and then talk about a revival later down the line. I don't see how this affects you so much, it's just a way of putting things.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Xxain said:

Squared revived Star Ocean? It was never dead. It took 4 years for Star Ocean 3 to come out after 2. It took 6 years for VP2. Star Ocean 5 is within normal tri-Ace development time. Its like if the series isnt seen within 2 years its dead. No its not. Not every JRPG can be put out at FF or Neptunia speeds

Given that Tri-Ace worked on 4 full retail releases of their own (including 1 HD JRPG) plus had a helping hand in two other HD JRPG's between the release of Star Ocean 4 and 5, I don't buy that.  That's not a "normal" development time for a new entry in a series that's alive, especially since there wasn't a word about it living on during that time.

Square Enix had a management shift a while ago, including (I believe) a new CEO who said he'd invest in more mid-level titles.  Exactly like Star Ocean.  

So yeah, I fully believe the series did infact die off and was revived recently.  We still don't have a release date too, I would add, so that 6 year gap could easly stretch to 7.

I miss the Suikoden and BoF series the most.

Skullwaker said:
Thank you for changing the title. I was very confused, considering SMT is very much alive on handhelds. (It is also getting a crossover game on Wii U if that counts)

I am sorry for the confusion, I was gonna clarify what I meant in the second post, but I should have made sure the title was accurate. 

Around the Network
Acevil said:
I am sorry for the confusion, I was gonna clarify what I meant in the second post, but I should have made sure the title was accurate. 

No worries. I get what you're saying now.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Kresnik said:
Xxain said:

Squared revived Star Ocean? It was never dead. It took 4 years for Star Ocean 3 to come out after 2. It took 6 years for VP2. Star Ocean 5 is within normal tri-Ace development time. Its like if the series isnt seen within 2 years its dead. No its not. Not every JRPG can be put out at FF or Neptunia speeds

Given that Tri-Ace worked on 4 full retail releases of their own (including 1 HD JRPG) plus had a helping hand in two other HD JRPG's between the release of Star Ocean 4 and 5, I don't buy that.  That's not a "normal" development time for a new entry in a series that's alive.

Square Enix had a management shift a while ago, including (I believe) a new CEO who said he'd invest in more mid-level titles.  Exactly like Star Ocean.  

So yeah, I fully believe the series did infact die off and was revived recently.  We still don't have a release date too, I would add, so that 6 year gap could easly stretch to 7.

tri-Ace only had Star Ocean in the beginning and it still took them 3 years to get 2 out, 4 years to get 3 out, 5 years to get 4 out. VP2 only came due fan request, originally VP was a stand alone. Lots of retcons, usually what happens when series or characters (Shadow the hegehog, FF7) continue without knowledge it was going to.So its not like VP was in the way. tri-Ace is not locked down to only a few IP's, they always experiment: Radiata Stories, Resonace of Fate, Frontier something, Infinite undiscovery. There are many reasons it could have taken tri-Ace awhile to get a SO sequel out. It has only been 6 years man. One year more than SO4.

How you can forget Parasite Eve ?!

Davman said:
How you can forget Parasite Eve ?!

Oh ya, I really did forget that. 

Xxain said:

tri-Ace only had Star Ocean in the beginning and it still took them 3 years to get 2 out, 4 years to get 3 out, 5 years to get 4 out. VP2 only came due fan request, originally VP was a stand alone. Lots of retcons, usually what happens when series or characters (Shadow the hegehog, FF7) continue without knowledge it was going to.So its not like VP was in the way. tri-Ace is not locked down to only a few IP's, they always experiment: Radiata Stories, Resonace of Fate, Frontier something, Infinite undiscovery. There are many reasons it could have taken tri-Ace awhile to get a SO sequel out. It has only been 6 years man. One year more than SO4.

To me, the future of the series was very much on the rocks due to Square Enix's direction with franchises like Star Ocean (i.e. not Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest = not interested), which is why it was such a surprise they announced Star Ocean 5.  I'm not really saying it has anything to do with Tri-Ace's average development times between entries.

If you think it wasn't dead and you were certain it was coming back after Star Ocean 4, that's great.  Props to you.  That's certainly not how it felt to me.