By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Disappearing" JRPG Series in Home Console (Console Space 5-6th Generation)

Xxain said:
Phantasy Star? How is Phantasy Star dead when it has had at least 5 games in the last generation

Phantasy Star itself is three parts. 
Original series died really early on, with a collection on saturn of all the games.
Phantasy Star Online which hasn't had home console release since gamecube and dreamcast 
Phantasy Star Universe which hasn't had console release ps2 (However this also exists on xbox360 and because of that I might have to remove it).  

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

You guys are obviously not reading OP's posts. No handheld games.

Sc .. What does it matter? You cannot a franchise is dead if it is still being used capacity. A dead franchise is one the developer no longer uses but how can a franchise be dead if its being used????!!!

Xxain said:
Acevil said:

Couple of things. I am not counting handheld space as continue of the franchise, as lot of the handheld counterparts don't live up to the franchise sadly (See Suikoden).
X
enosaga was its own franchise. To me ports to later consoles aren't enough, or a lot of franchises simply exist in PC/VC/Repackaging Space.

I will correct the title to say Dead JRPG Franchises in Console Space 5-6th Generation, if that helps.

FF13 did not live up to expectations. Are we going to exclude as well? A IP is not dead if the developer/publisher is using it in someway shape or form. Creating restrictions so that you can cherry pick is retarded. Wild Arms X Fire was a amazing game. Definitely better than the last two mainline installments 

Well I changed it disappearing from dead, just for you, and I changed it to specify Home Hardware, since you didn't read my second post in the thread. 

Acevil said:
Anfebious said:
Nocturne had a sequel. It's SMT IV for the 3DS! It doesn't state it in the game but Nocturne is the third Shin Megami Tensei game.

As for the rest... they are all pretty much dead!

There I corrected the title. Changed it to Disappearing and specified homehardware. 

Well I liked the other title... Except for Nocturne all of those franchises you listed are dead. Some might have a little bit of life yet but most of them have the trait that they didn't have a main series release in a long time.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Xxain said:
sc94597 said:

You guys are obviously not reading OP's posts. No handheld games.

Sc .. What does it matter? You cannot a franchise is dead if it is still being used capacity. A dead franchise is one the developer no longer uses but how can a franchise be dead if its being used????!!!

Well he changed the title, maybe that is better? I don't think it matters, but I know many people who don't like gaming on handhelds for various reasons. I've played plenty of great handheld RPGs though so I don't care too much. Still I think the thread has value in that it shows that some big named JRPGs have transitioned to handhelds. 

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
Acevil said:

There I corrected the title. Changed it to Disappearing and specified homehardware. 

Well I liked the other title... Except for Nocturne all of those franchises you listed are dead. Some might have a little bit of life yet but most of them have the trait that they didn't have a main series release in a long time.

Well now I am gonna do what I was planing on doing and write small tid bit under each title. 

I love Baten kaitos so much, the card based battle system is one of my favorites ever. I would be very suprised if it ever gets another installment though, unfortunately.

Acevil said:
Xxain said:
Phantasy Star? How is Phantasy Star dead when it has had at least 5 games in the last generation

Original series died really early on, with a collection on saturn of all the games.
Phantasy Star Online which hasn't had home console release since gamecube and dreamcast 
Phantasy Star Universe which hasn't had console release ps2 (However this also exists on xbox360 and because of that I might have to remove it).  

THE IP IS BEINGED USED!!!!!!! it does not matter how our where just the fact it is being actively used. It cant be dead if its being used. Phantasy Star Online is the successor to the original series. Just like Megaman ZX series being successor to Zero series. Zero didnt die, it finished 

sc94597 said:
Xxain said:

Well he changed the title, maybe that is better? I don't think it matters, but I know many people who don't like gaming on handhelds for various reasons. I've played plenty of great handheld RPGs though so I don't care too much. Still I think the thread has value in that it shows that some big named JRPGs have transitioned to handhelds. 

That is great. Just because you dont like handhelds doest mean DQ9 doesnt exist. That is exactly what is going here. I dont need to read the post. When I see dead JRPG franchise, I expect to see dead ones. Not ones where we arnt satisfied with its destination or direction.

Xxain said:
Acevil said:

THE IP IS BEINGED USED!!!!!!! it does not matter how our where just the fact it is being actively used. It cant be dead if its being used. Phantasy Star Online is the successor to the original series. Just like Megaman ZX series being successor to Zero series. Zero didnt die, it finished 

I just said, I changed the topic to disappeared from home console space. What more do you want? Also I plan on removing it, because it doesn't fit the cateria regardless.