By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is the main reason you buy amiibo?

What is the main reason why you buy amiibo?

For the figurines (collective purposes) 99 59.28%

For the content it unlocks 18 10.78%

I don't care for the amiibo 50 29.94%

Total:167
spemanig said:
It doesn't matter how big a deal the content is. The problem isn't that the content is a big deal. The problem is that the content is overpriced if you're not interested in the toys the content is exclusively tied too. If I don't want the toy, but do want the content, there is no alternative where I can get just the content. I'd have to buy a $13 toy I don't want. That's a major issue.

There's nothing wrong with a $13 toy that gives you extra content in a game. The problem arises when that content is exclusive to the toy. I should be able to pay a few bucks to buy just the content, but get that content for free with the amiibo.

The other issue is that amiibo isn't something you can opt out of like Skylanders. If you don't like the idea behind locking content behind a Skylanders/Disney Infinity, you can opt out by simply not buying those two specific games. In order to opt out of the influence of Amiibo, you'll now basically need to stop buying games on Nintendo systems whole sale. That's not cool.

I'd agree with you if Nintendo actually locked decent content behind amiibo. There's really not a single game I feel I'm missing out on because I don't own the amiibo.

Around the Network

"So I've seen quite a few people complain here that amiibo are on-disk dlc locked behind a big paywall." I doubt you've seen anyone contend that the amiibos themselves are on-disk dlc locked behind a paywall, but that the content locked to amiibos is. And on that notion they are by definition correct, regardless of the main reason that people buy amiibos.

You can suggest that the content isn't very meaningful, but it is by definition:
"on-disk"
"dlc"
"behind a paywall"

And if you don't mind that that's fine, but they are what they are.

I do store them like collectibles but was more interested in what they do in games.

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

Samus Aran said:

I'd agree with you if Nintendo actually locked decent content behind amiibo. There's really not a single game I feel I'm missing out on because I don't own the amiibo.

Whether the content is decent is subjective. I think the costumes for Miis in MK8 are extremely substantial, and it's annoying that I can't just buy the pack of them without spenting over $200. In Mario Party 10, an entire mode is locked behind amiibo.

mZuzek said:

UGH, god, we get it already.

Don't know what you're problem is, dude. Relax.

Around the Network

I have all Smash waves preordered and have Splatoon Amiibos and all 3 yarn yoshi amiibos ordered

I just now have to wait for them all to ship only, so stress is gone lol

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

i'm a grown ass man, i don't buy figures unless they have massive revealing boobs, which includes just about all one piece figures and excludes amiibo entirely.

But either way, you simply ask yourself this.

"Can I access the content in any other way but to buy the Amiibo?"
If you answer is yes, awesome.
If your answer is no, then it's behind a paywall.

And since the extras need to be unlockable right off the bat, theyre all already on the disk, which is self explanitory

Extreme-stretch here, but what you're saying is "xbox live costing money isn't such a big deal because you get a card attached to a piece of paper!"

I haven't bought any so I'm no good to you. I can give you some reasons I don't buy them, if you want.

Their implementation does bother me to varying degrees. If the content unlocked by amiibo is only meant as a reward for having already bought it rather than an incentive to buy one, why not offer that content digitally at a lower price? For example, the Link amiibo costs $13 and gets you an exclusive function in both versions of Smash 4, a Mii costume in Mario Kart 8, a new weapon in Hyrule Warriors, a costume in a One Piece game, a plane design in Ace Combat, and probably another small thing here and there I'm forgetting. Why not let players buy the HW weapon for like $3-4 and Mario Kart, One Piece, Ace Combat costumes for $1 apiece or something, and keep the Smash functionality exclusive (as well as little bonuses like getting rupees for scanning amiibo in HW)? That way owners of the amiibo get the 'bonus' -- they have exclusive functionality, and don't have to pay for DLC related to that character -- while non-owners aren't looking at minuscule but non-negligible amounts of content locked behind a baffling $13 paywall.

Oh, a $13 paywall with very limited availability in most cases. This is not a separate issue from the price. I think it's very clear by now that the amiibo shortage is entirely deliberate on Nintendo's part. If they overship a character, they risk seeing its price reduced, and I think the depreciation of amiibo values is the number one thing they're trying to avoid. Those little bastards are going to cost $13 forever. You'll never see them on sale. You'll never see them in bargain bins. Nintendo is going to keep stock on a very, very tight leash to ensure exactly that.

Either of these issues wouldn't be too much of a bother on its own, but the two are an ugly combination. Simply fixing the shortage situation wouldn't even solve the problem. As long as content is tied to amiibo, unless every single amiibo is available at all times you wind up with limited edition content in games. Link is pretty common, but think of the Fire Emblem characters in Codename: STEAM. What happens a year from now when these characters can only be bought second-hand at a huge markup? What about five years from now when they're damn near impossible to find? That content is lost forever to new players. I suppose you can edit the data on a Mario amiibo to make it identify as a different character, but that solution isn't exactly endorsed by Nintendo, and might be more trouble than it's worth. At the very least, I doubt any good samaritans would be willing to spend $13 on a Mario amiibo, edit its data, and resell it for the same $13 price, which means you'd be looking at some kind of markup anyway.

Torillian said:
"So I've seen quite a few people complain here that amiibo are on-disk dlc locked behind a big paywall." I doubt you've seen anyone contend that the amiibos themselves are on-disk dlc locked behind a paywall, but that the content locked to amiibos is. And on that notion they are by definition correct, regardless of the main reason that people buy amiibos.

You can suggest that the content isn't very meaningful, but it is by definition:
"on-disk"
"dlc"
"behind a paywall"

And if you don't mind that that's fine, but they are what they are.

When people complain that content is locked away behind a $30 paywell and that Nintendo is so evil for doing it then I just have to smile and laugh to myself.

Is it really worth complaining about when most of this stuff was developed in less than a day?

People clearly don't feel cheated as they're buying them for the figurines, not the content.

If it wasn't for amiibo, most of the stuff wouldn't even be in the games. I doubt they would have thought of adding these amiibo costumes in MK8 if it wasn't for amiibo.

So far i have 6 amiibos!
(Super mario edition )
- Mario
- Luigi
- Browser ( best quality i have seen so far! )
- Toad
- Yoshi

And lastly Kirby! ( which i bought the same time as Smash! )

I mostly buy it for the content ( Mario Party 10, MK8 and Hyrule Warriors. Not a fan of the 'Training' thing in Smash )

AND how every time i go to the shop, i keep seeing that $17 ( Australia) Price Tag on the amiibos, and i find it soooooooooooo cheap =D

Pocky Lover Boy!