By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is the main reason you buy amiibo?

What is the main reason why you buy amiibo?

For the figurines (collective purposes) 99 59.28%

For the content it unlocks 18 10.78%

I don't care for the amiibo 50 29.94%

Total:167

I just get some to put on my shelf.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Torillian said:
"So I've seen quite a few people complain here that amiibo are on-disk dlc locked behind a big paywall." I doubt you've seen anyone contend that the amiibos themselves are on-disk dlc locked behind a paywall, but that the content locked to amiibos is. And on that notion they are by definition correct, regardless of the main reason that people buy amiibos.

You can suggest that the content isn't very meaningful, but it is by definition:
"on-disk"
"dlc"
"behind a paywall"

And if you don't mind that that's fine, but they are what they are.

spemanig said:
It doesn't matter how big a deal the content is. The problem isn't that the content is a big deal. The problem is that the content is overpriced if you're not interested in the toys the content is exclusively tied too. If I don't want the toy, but do want the content, there is no alternative where I can get just the content. I'd have to buy a $13 toy I don't want. That's a major issue.

There's nothing wrong with a $13 toy that gives you extra content in a game. The problem arises when that content is exclusive to the toy. I should be able to pay a few bucks to buy just the content, but get that content for free with the amiibo.

The other issue is that amiibo isn't something you can opt out of like Skylanders. If you don't like the idea behind locking content behind a Skylanders/Disney Infinity, you can opt out by simply not buying those two specific games. In order to opt out of the influence of Amiibo, you'll now basically need to stop buying games on Nintendo systems whole sale. That's not cool.

Basically, yes. Indeed. Ditto. Same.

Youa re just trying to apologize. It's on disk DLC behind a paywall no matter you try to disguise behind a figurine.

This will be solved once Nintendo releases those card versions of them. Which is what I'm waiting on. I don't want the figures. They're a waste of shelf space. I'd rather have larger statues of the characters for that. And just get a card pack that has every amiibo, for the DLC use.

I didn't care for Amiibos but the only reason I got into them was because Mario Party 10 had the Amiibo Party mode which seems stupid to lock 1/3 of the games feature unless you have Amiibos. As well certain Amiibos unlock certain stages so that meant buying more Amiibos. In the end I now currently have over 20 Amiibos xD

I collect my favorite characters I want of course! What they unlock is just extras to me : )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I've only got one, and it's because it was just too cool.