By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Are You An Atheist?

Ouroboros24 said:

Let me explain myself.  First off, I think this has a lot to do with the topic.  Why are you an atheist?  I'm not, but I sorta am.  I know, confusing.  I don't believe in the religion aspect of it, not crazy snakes or parting of seas or pregnant virgins, etc.  What I do believe, is that there is a God, by definition.  An all mighty being, capable of any thing and everything all the time since forever in the past and into the future.  By believing in this ultimate power, that is the God I speak of.  Not the good being, not bad being, simply the being that is capable of all. That's the God I believe in.  An almighty being capable of it all, yet does not regard the tiny ants that exist within God's realm(us and everything else that exist).

This is my thought process of the matter.  I exist because of my mother.  My mother exist because of the past.  The past exist because of the present and the future, therefore the past exists forever as the future.  If the Past has always existed, that means that the future will always exist as well.  So, if the past and future are eternal, this is God's work.  A long line forever in both directions forever.  Let's take a look at that word: forever.  Like a magic word in terms of existing, like pixie dust, but unlike pixie dust, it's real, not tangeble but as real as Time.  Forever in the past and forever in the future, and it's real.  And since those two concepts exists, how can one deny the existence of a being that created it.  Perhaps God is just a continuation of the past to the future and all in between is God's(the all powerful being) actions based this universe's course of action.  Don't even get me started on string theory and God's role in it.

Atheists do not believe in something that cannot be proven to be real. 

You are not an Atheist if you are attempting to justify your God. Just because you do not believe in an established religion does not make you an Atheist. You have just created your own God, therefore you are definitely not an Atheist. 
You have not provided any tangible evidence either. You are merely saying that because the past, present and future exist (and those within it) that a God must exist.
That is essentially every religion. It does not provide any evidence of a God existing. You have no physical evidence other than what you perceive is reality.

Wind is caused by physics. The movement of the Earth's plate, atmosphere, gravity etc. I am not a physicist so someone knowledgable of this matter can correct me if I am wrong in this. I simply know that physics has proven what causes wind etc. 
Just because we exist, does not mean God exist. Just because time exists does not mean God exists. This is not evidence whatsoever. No one is denying that time is real, but to argue that time exists therefore God exists is definitely grasping at straws.

Because time exists so does Harry Potter. Time cannot exist without Harry Potter. I came from my mother, and Harry Potter had a mother. He is real and a part of time. He has even time travelled. He is GOD.

Edit: Earlier in this thread I state why I am an Atheist. No need to repeat myself.

Around the Network

I was raised as a Catholic, I was actually heavily involved with the church at a young age, but when growing up and seeing just how many religions were out there, I just couldn't believe anymore, that sounds cliche but that's how it happened to me.

Also knowing about all the disgusting things the church (especially the Catholic) have done throughout the years, I could not believe in the Church anymore. My turning point was seeing a documentary about pedophiles priest, which as a kid, I of course had no idea that was happening, and how big the problem is today.

That began my process of becoming an atheist. 

At first I decided to not believe in any church, but I still believed in God (that was probably the leftovers of being an active Catholic) but I slowly began losing complete faith that there's a higher power who created the universe; after watching so many science documentaries, talking with atheist teachers and getting more and more involved in talking with people of other religions, I simple...could not believe anymore. 

I guess you could say I grew up, kind of like kids who believe in Santa Claus.

Nintendo and PC gamer

o_O.Q said:
s

yes there is no overt intentional demonstration of worship of a god 

but the fact remains that these are all symbols associated with god's of antiquity and atheists blindly adopt them and partake in various rituals without really trying to understand what the origins of these things are

then amusingly to me they bash theists for the same thing for blindly following without analysing

how many atheists for example question why we exchange rings during marriage as opposed to just blindly following the practice?

for the most part none because they have not been told to question the practice

atheist just like theists have been lead

Nowadays the rings are a symbol of a union, a token. Its also a way to avoid disconfort from undesired aproaches. Its sociology, not religion.

You know... gay men and women also trade rings. I dont know what that does to your story about it.

Ouroboros24 said:

This is my thought process of the matter.  I exist because of my mother.  My mother exist because of the past.  The past exist because of the present and the future, therefore the past exists forever as the future.  If the Past has always existed, that means that the future will always exist as well.  So, if the past and future are eternal, this is God's work.  A long line forever in both directions forever.  Let's take a look at that word: forever.  Like a magic word in terms of existing, like pixie dust, but unlike pixie dust, it's real, not tangeble but as real as Time.  Forever in the past and forever in the future, and it's real.  And since those two concepts exists, how can one deny the existence of a being that created it.  Perhaps God is just a continuation of the past to the future and all i...

There is a logical link missing there. The past exists because of the present and future? Time is time and it moves in one direction. It does not travel backwards unless you found time-travel for us. I know that in theory space-time could be bent, but practice is a different thing.

I can agree with the notion of infinites, though i would rather look at it as infinte cycles. We all look towards an origin point, but we sometimes forget is that an origin point can be the lack of any origin point. I just dont see where a deity fits in all this, he is unecessary and doesnt answer the origin of creation, it just displaces the question: who created god? If he was created out of nothing, why cant the universe? God again, just a displacer. An extra step that explains nothing.

The question that needs to be asked to all religious people is why is there a god? I dont even need proof. Logic and causality would be enough. 

osed125 said:

I was raised as a Catholic, I was actually heavily involved with the church at a young age, but when growing up and seeing just how many religions were out there, I just couldn't believe anymore, that sounds cliche but that's how it happened to me.

Also knowing about all the disgusting things the church (especially the Catholic) have done throughout the years, I could not believe in the Church anymore. My turning point was seeing a documentary about pedophiles priest, which as a kid, I of course had no idea that was happening, and how big the problem is today.

That began my process of becoming an atheist. 

At first I decided to not believe in any church, but I still believed in God (that was probably the leftovers of being an active Catholic) but I slowly began losing complete faith that there's a higher power who created the universe; after watching so many science documentaries, talking with atheist teachers and getting more and more involved in talking with people of other religions, I simple...could not believe anymore. 

I guess you could say I grew up, kind of like kids who believe in Santa Claus.

I appreciate your story, but as a thread let's please stay away from analogies of religion and myths that only children believe.  While it may or may not be how you view them, it isn't respectful to the other side and only serves to put a divide between the two groups.  

I guess that I'm an atheist. I believe in all possibilities though including that I could be wrong. There could a god or gods or none at all. I'm not gonna dedicate/waste my life on some gamble. I'm sorry that I can't be convinced by just the word of some fanatical followers. I can't be scared into following a religion. Either way, I'm just another person trying to find some happiness where I am now. I'll just sort out the spiritual shit when I'm dead.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:

its funny how many people consider themselves atheists and then go on to for example drive around saturns and mazdas or exchange rings with their spouses when they marry all without realising the symbolism involved in these activities

then many of the same people turn around and call theists ignorant because of their blind following

This idea is ridiculous on many levels, but I'll just point out the most ridiculous.  There is a big difference between driving a saturn because I thought it was a good value and being unaware of the symbolic nature of it (seriously I don't know.  The Roman god?  Do people think if I'm driving a saturn I believe in him?) and actively and knowingly engaging in time consuming and life altering rituals .  To equate those two things is absolutely absurd.  

OP, can I ask, why do you want to know?
I'm just assuming that you aren't an atheist, but I don't know. If you are, then the answers probably won't shock you - if you aren't, then are you challenging your belief? Are you considering your alternatives?

I'm not trying to be rude in any way.
I'm of the firm state of mind that the religions and gods of this world are all man-made and hold no bearing on reality. I've never thought otherwise and I find it difficult to ever imagine a time where I would. As such, it is very difficult for me to put myself in your shoes, if you in fact are considering to change (or ofc reinforce, if that is the conclusion you arrive to) your world views.

I'm just curious. What makes you tick? :P (I thought of Sylar from Heroes...)

JWeinCom said:
o_O.Q said:

its funny how many people consider themselves atheists and then go on to for example drive around saturns and mazdas or exchange rings with their spouses when they marry all without realising the symbolism involved in these activities

then many of the same people turn around and call theists ignorant because of their blind following

This idea is ridiculous on many levels, but I'll just point out the most ridiculous.  There is a big difference between driving a saturn because I thought it was a good value and being unaware of the symbolic nature of it (seriously I don't know.  The Roman god?  Do people think if I'm driving a saturn I believe in him?) and actively and knowingly engaging in time consuming and life altering rituals .  To equate those two things is absolutely absurd.  

If true, by logical extension that would mean the Saturn-driving 'Christians' would actually be polytheists :)

o_O.Q said:
sc94597 said:

So if you played the game Okami does that mean you "unintenionally" or "implicitly?" worship Amaterasu? Because I read The Chronicles of Narnia when I was a kid and enjoyed them despite the Christian messaging I must be a Christian implicitly? 

Buying a car with the name Mazda or Saturn implying implicit theism is a silly concept. For starters I don't think the people at Toyota coined Mazda because they are Zoroastrians. Engangement rings originated in Rome (arguably even the Egyptians) and seemed to have a non-religious, but philosophical connotation. I don't see why only religious people can follow the tradition. 

But that is all besides the point, following traditions out of social convention and worshipping a deity let alone accepting the existance of one are two entirely different things and I really don't see the connection here. 

"

" Engangement rings originated in Rome " no

Yes. Engagement rings are said to have been invented by the ancient Egyptians, but they can only be reliably traced back to Rome.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

My family never raised me to be one or the other (though they were essentially atheist, we never really talked about God, nor did they try to teach me that God, heaven, or Hell did not exist), but I did come to the decision on my own one night, after thinking about the history of human religion.

In the history of mankind, the modern religions are fairly recent constructs. None of them are more than 5,000 years old. Two of the most prominent, Christianity and Islam, are only a few millennia old at best. On the other hand, human history is littered with dead religions, including ones that were once very prominent in Western culture and played a large role in our oldest literature (the various ancient Pagan religions of Europe). I asked myself "what makes today's religions so right, and the old ones so wrong?" That's when I realized: the only difference between the ancient "myths" and today's legitimate religions is that one group is still practiced while the other is not. It's only a matter of time until most of today's religions are supplanted with another belief system, and disregarded as myth, much like we currently disregard Greco-Roman, Norse, Celtic, and a variety of other now-dead religions.

I came to the conclusion that religion was just something created to explain what we did not have the knowledge to explain at the time (which, I now know completely ignores the "spiritual" element, though I did not understand that at the time) and that religion is simply a relic of a more superstitious time. So I saw no reason to believe.

Obviously, not being raised religious did not help matters. But I simply chose not to believe in God because I saw no reason to, and as a history buff I understood that there was little separating old religions from new ones aside from the latter being contemporary.

Now, around that same time I did decide to acknowledge the potential existence of A god, just not of the Judeo-Christian variety. It would be arrogant of me to assert with certainty that there was no sort of higher being, and that all there was to know about the universe was what we could see. It's that kind of thinking that has led mankind to folly on various occasions. Frankly, the arrogance of atheists can irritate me almost as much as that of religious people who insist on foisting their beliefs on others.

In the end, I simply do not need religion. I don't need to believe that the universe has a "higher" justice or that "life has meaning". I do not need to believe that there is some consciousness up in the sky that is constantly judging me/watching over me. I do not need to believe that there is some place to go to after I die.

Justice is subjective and can't function as a universal principle. One man's justice can be another man's crime, and vice-versa.

Life does not need a higher meaning, just the meaning you give it. If you choose to find meaning in believing in some invisible thing in the sky, that's fine. I chose to find it myself by pursuing my dreams and trying to make them a reality.

On the issue of an afterlife, I've come to terms with that in a bit of a weird way. I once read a description of what "blindness" is like. He said it wasn't just darkness or whiteness. A person being unable to see is literally like what it's like trying to see out of the back of your head. It's just nothing. So I've come to think of life, and lack of life as the same way: life is what I'm enjoying right now. A lack of life is what it was like before I was alive: nothing. That was not so bad, really. I'd certainly prefer that to Hell, or many of the other potential afterlives other religions have in store for me if any of those were right. I can't recall there being anything particularly bad about not being alive, so it's probably not so bad going back to that state, right? :P