By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Are You An Atheist?

FragilE^ said:

I would really like some numbers on these "irrational blindly following atheists". Seems like a rather interesting read!

Something that we actually have numbers on though, is that atheists in general know far more about religion than actualy religious people. That kinda seems to indicate, that atheists actually DO question stuff and don't just blindly follow everything. I know, what a crazy thought, right? But it might just be perfectly reasonable and true as well.

no atheists analyse and criticise what they are told to analyse and criticise which is obvious from the fact that they define themselves by their opposition to theism

and after they do it inflates their ego which is the very reason they were lead to do it in the first place so that an era of arrogant people ignorant of other issues could be created

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:

no atheists analyse and criticise what they are told to analyse and criticise which is obvious from the fact that they define themselves by their opposition to theism

and after they do it inflates their ego which is the very reason they were lead to do it in the first place so that an era of arrogant people ignorant of other issues could be created

I find this post extremely confusing... Not only is this purely conjecture, but you haven't exactly showed evidence of what you have claimed.

Aura7541 said:
o_O.Q said:

I find this post extremely confusing... Not only is this purely conjecture, but you haven't exactly showed evidence of what you have claimed.

i gave examples in my first post in this thread

o_O.Q said:
FragilE^ said:

I would really like some numbers on these "irrational blindly following atheists". Seems like a rather interesting read!

Something that we actually have numbers on though, is that atheists in general know far more about religion than actualy religious people. That kinda seems to indicate, that atheists actually DO question stuff and don't just blindly follow everything. I know, what a crazy thought, right? But it might just be perfectly reasonable and true as well.

I have to confess, I'm confused too.  Who exactly is telling them to analyse and criticise?  The higher power that the don't subscribe too?

Atheists don't necessarily define themselves as atheists.......that's just what the word means. It's not some corrolary to teenage rebellion, not believing in God just to spite everyone who does.  I don't start conversations with, hi I'm Rob the atheist, but if asked I will state I don't believe in God.  That makes me an atheist because the word was created to define people like me but I'm not walking around with a flag, a t-shirt and passport emblazoned with the word.

Finally, if you want to have a constructive discussion, I'd advise leaving that kind of nonsense out of your post.  Even if that has been your personal experience, thus far most have been respectful in this thread, I haven't seen these egotistical, arrogant people of which you speak.

o_O.Q said:
Aura7541 said:

You only managed to confuse me even more... I don't think they're even examples.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
o_O.Q said:

You only managed to confuse me even more... I don't think they're even examples.

well if you don't understand lol don't bother

you aren't supposed to understand anyway you are just supposed to accept these things and bash theists for being irrational all without realising your own involvement in religious practices

~Mod Edit~

This post in conjunction with the many posts in this thread has been moderated.

-Smeags

o_O.Q said:

you aren't supposed to understand anyway you are just supposed to accept these things and bash theists for being irrational all without realising your own involvement in religious practices

What a sweeping generalization without actual evidence...

Also, your religious practices argument is extremely weak and has already been addressed earlier. You, on the other hand, have not come up with a proper counterargument. Just because I do a religious practice doesn't mean I'm associated with that particular religion nor does it affect me in a longterm lifestyle perspective.

Ouroboros24 said:
Mr.Playstation said:

So what I want to know from you guys and especially those people here who are Atheists is why you guys are Atheists. Is it because other religions aren't precise enough when it comes to what they're saying? Is it because you outright believe other religions are wrong?.....and so on.

Disclaimer: Any people here who follow another religion will not be allowed to quote any other users who are stating why they are Atheists and telling them they are wrong. This is only here so that I and other people can learn more about Atheism and why people who are Atheists choose this "path" instead of  "paths" offered by other religions.

God lies within the mystery of existence.  God does not necessarily exist with a religion, God exist no matter what.  There is no good, no bad, just the power of a God that has created what we perceive to be the universe. 

Labels like Christianity, or Buddism or even Atheism mean nothing as there is a version of a God, the meaning, the definition of the word.  God, is like Wind, that it may not be seen, but there is evidence of it's existence as grass and leaves sway.  There is no tangible evidence that God exist, but as with the Wind blowing in the breeze, there is God changing and shifting the universe as only God can.  God exists within the mystery of existence.  Mic drop!

Wind is not mystical. People know how wind works as science has proven the functions of wind. 
People do not freak out whenever wind passes them by and think "oh that must be GEERRRD", "oh and da grass moves cos of wind, also GEEERD".

This is one of the most pathetic attempts I have ever seen someone try to make at legitimising a deity.
The OP explicitly said that this was an atheist only topic. We have been civil about our thoughts, but when such a post is made when it was unneeded and shares no merit, warrents such a reaction.

Saying God exists because of mystery writes off every question which leads to stagnation. I swear, it is like religious people do not want the actual answers of existence and want to live in a life of fantasy and pixie dust. This is just stagnation and leads to no real answers, no progress, just the beliefs of nobles and peasants from centuries ago. 

Aura7541 said:
o_O.Q said:

What a sweeping generalization without actual evidence...

Also, your religious practices argument is extremely weak and has already been addressed earlier. You, on the other hand, have not come up with a proper counterargument. Just because I do a religious practice doesn't mean I'm associated with that particular religion nor does it affect me in a longterm lifestyle perspective.

"What a sweeping generalization without actual evidence..."

well i gave examples if you don't accept them then that just means we have a difference in opinion i could of course give dozens more but i suppose i'd be wasting my time

" Just because I do a religious practice doesn't mean I'm associated with that particular religion nor does it affect me in a longterm lifestyle perspective."

doing a practice from a religion doesn't show association? seriously?

and if you are doing a practice is that not in itself an effect?

o_O.Q said:

"What a sweeping generalization without actual evidence..."

well i gave examples if you don't accept them then that just means we have a difference in opinion i could of course give dozens more but i suppose i'd be wasting my time

" Just because I do a religious practice doesn't mean I'm associated with that particular religion nor does it affect me in a longterm lifestyle perspective."

doing a practice from a religion doesn't show association? seriously?

and if you are doing a practice is that not in itself an effect?

Sorry, but you are not making your case effectively. If I play Okami, does that make me a Shintoist? If I play Persona 3 & 4, does that make me a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Chinese mythologist, and so forth? If I have a Christian-style wedding, does that make me a Christian? The answer to all those questions are a big fat no. I'm merely doing practices that happened to be started by a certain religion. However, being interested in mythologies doesn't require me to be a follower of those said mythologies. Marriage is not tied to any religion.

At this point, you're trying to force a failed argument.